Who should Shaun Wane pick for his England squad?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who has had a good game so far this year and/or who has been bigged up by Sky as this months next best thing - isn't that usually how it works?

For me Connor, S Tomkins, Jake Wardle, Bateman, Walmsley, T.King and Roby should be certs and would be my 1st names down.

7 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Anyone who has had a good game so far this year and/or who has been bigged up by Sky as this months next best thing - isn't that usually how it works?

For me Connor, S Tomkins, Jake Wardle, Bateman, Walmsley, T.King and Roby should be certs and would be my 1st names down.

Jake Wardle? I can’t say he has made any impression on me at all. I must look out for him. 

For some on here it will be 13 Ryan Suttons starting and the rest of the squad made up of anyone who can hold a rugby ball and have visited Australia....

For me, fullback should be Sam Tomkins with maybe Zac as backup.

Halfs - Gale and Williams should be first choice and then see who does well through the season. Roby and Clarke should be no brainers.

Wing - Makemson and possibly Johnstone.

Options as far as I see it currently. Plenty of opportunity for others as the season progresses...

1. Tomkins / Connor / Hardaker

2. Makinson / Davies

3. Farnworth / Newman / Gildart

4. King / Griffin / Wardle / Percival

5. Johnstone / Handley

6. Williams / Lomax

7. Trueman / Gale

8. Burgess / Walmsley / Harvard

9. Roby / Clark / Powell

10. Watts / Thompson / Cooper

11. Bateman / Farrell / Holmes

12. Whitehead / Currie / McMeekan

13. Knowles / Sutton / Partington

Sam Tomkins/Jake Connor

Tommy Makinson/Tom Johnstone/Ash Handley/Tom Davies

Mark Percival/Oliver Gildart/Toby King/Josh Griffin

Jonny Lomax/Jake Trueman

Luke Gale/Gareth Widdop

Alex Walmsley/Matty Lees/Liam Watts/Mike Cooper

John Bateman/Liam Farrell/Mike McMeekan/James Bentley

Morgan Knowles/Joe Philbin. 

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Options as far as I see it currently. Plenty of opportunity for others as the season progresses...

2. Makinson / Davies

5. Johnstone / Handley

6. Williams / Lomax

7. Trueman / Gale

9. Roby / Clark / Powell

11. Bateman / Farrell

12. Whitehead / Currie

I can’t argue too much with that but I’ll have a go

We need to learn the lessons of the past and recognise that some players are outstanding domesticity but are ineffective at international level. Sinfield was a prime example of a player looking world class for his club team but struggled to have any impact at international level.

Hardaker is in great form but falls into that category so I wouldn’t select him anymore, he earned his chance and got it, fair enough but he was found wanting. Hodgson is another who’s game doesn’t gel with international football.

I’d throw Evalds in as a choice at Full Back, he’s been one of the stand out players in that position for a few years, he has genuine pace, knows where the try line is, joins the line to great effect, picks his passes well, is an instinctive support player (a hugely underestimated natural ability), returns the ball well and is as good a last line defender as anyone else we might consider.

I’d throw Oledski in as an option at Prop and McShane has earned his selection ahead of Powell IMO. I’ll go out on a limb and suggest McMeekin will rediscover his best form at Catalan and could force his way into the squad by the time it’s named. Bentley is in good form and could also make a strong case by the end of the season.

Maybe a year too early for him but Harry Smith might come into the reckoning largely for his kicking game which is one of the best in the SL. I guess it depends on how many games Lamb gives him throughout the season and how well he settles and pushes his case. As I said, maybe 2021 is a year too early for him much like Welsby and maybe Harvard.

I anticipate Wane will pick a 17 something like this.

Tomkins
Makinson
Gildart
Percival
Johnstone
Lomax
Williams
Walmsley
Hodgson
T Burgess
Bateman
Whitehead
Knowles

Farrell
Sutton
Clark
Watts

We do have a lot of depth though. The likes of Hardaker, Connor, Trueman, Cooper and Thompson are all top quality players to include in the case of injury or lack of form. Then there's Roby too, but I anticipate this season will be his last so he won't be available for internationals.

48 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

2. Makinson / Davies

5. Johnstone / Handley

6. Williams / Lomax

7. Trueman / Gale

9. Roby / Clark / Powell

12. Whitehead / Currie

Whatever he’s done or not done id be amazed if hodgson isnt even in the squad 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Its a big season for Luke Thompson when he gets back ... in a terrible side rowing uphill with a cocktail stick . Hes got a lot of competion playing well

Yeah, big year for him. Its funny how hes fallen off some people's radars.

In 2019 and 2020 he made the world team of the year with some saying he was the best prop in the world.

Now hes struggling to make an England squad. 

I would personally have him in the starting 13.

Tompkins, hardacre

Johnstone, handley, makinson, Manfredi 

Farnworth, king, gildart, wardle

Lomax, williams

Gale, Widdop 

Walmsley, watts, burgess, thompson, 

Hodgson, clarke, mcshane 

Bateman, whitehead, currie, farrell 

Sutton, knowles

Some of these comments are silly. Mikolaj Oledski is Polish born and raised. He needs to be kept out of England selection in order to build a Polish national team around him, along with second rower Jack Gusiewski of Manly.

The voting results are comical. Sam Tomkins is far and away not only the best English full back at the moment, but the best English full back in decades. Yet he only has 36% of the votes in the poll, while Hardaker (whose name many of his voters cannot even spell correctly) has 24%. Whoever think that Zak Hardaker is as good or better than Tomkins has been deliberately not watching Catalans games, or else doesn't understand the game of rugby league. 

The England team should be:

Sam Tomkins

Tommy Makinson, Herbie Farnworth,  Mark Percival/Oliver Gildart, Tom Davies/Tom Johnstone/Ryan Hall,

John Lomax

George WIlliams

Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead, John Bateman

Alex Walmsley, Josh Hodgson, Tom Burgess

Interchange: James Roby, Luke Thompson, Liam Watts, Mike McMeeken, 

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

For some on here it will be 13 Ryan Suttons starting and the rest of the squad made up of anyone who can hold a rugby ball and have visited Australia....

For me, fullback should be Sam Tomkins with maybe Zac as backup.

Halfs - Gale and Williams should be first choice and then see who does well through the season. Roby and Clarke should be no brainers.

Wing - Makemson and possibly Johnstone.

You are incredibly insular. Ryan Sutton has been sensational for Canberra in 2021, as have George WIlliams and Josh Hodgson. Elliot Whitehead is also playing very well. Yet you choose to ignore the facts of their wonderful performances. The same is true of Herbie Farnworth, who has been one of the few quality players in the Brisbane Broncos team, and is highly respected by all Australian commentators.

If it pains you too much to watch NRL games, then you have no right to be commenting publicly on a possible England team.

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

hoever think that Zak Hardaker is as good or better than Tomkins has been deliberately not watching Catalans games, or else doesn't understand the game of rugby league. 

Its all about opinions, yours is not the only one who understands the game, not that it should matter. There are 12 SL coaches and they would choose differently from each other never mind fans. And any decent coach would not choose a side on the best individual people for position but would factor in the balance of the team on and off the field. 

Tomkins , Connor , Johnstone , Makinson , Manfredi , Farnworth , King , Wardle , Griffin , Williams , Lomax , Widdop,  Sutton , Thompson , G Burgess , Walmsley , Oledski , Whitehead , Bateman , Currie, Knowles , Hodgson , Clark and someone else I’ve not decided on 

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

2. Makinson / Davies

5. Johnstone / Handley

6. Williams / Lomax

7. Trueman / Gale

9. Roby / Clark / Powell

12. Whitehead / Currie

You missed out Blake Austin and Jackson Hastings. 

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

You missed out Blake Austin and Jackson Hastings. 

And Chris McQueen.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

43 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Some of these comments are silly. Mikolaj Oledski is Polish born and raised. He needs to be kept out of England selection in order to build a Polish national team around him, along with second rower Jack Gusiewski of Manly.

The voting results are comical. Sam Tomkins is far and away not only the best English full back at the moment, but the best English full back in decades. Yet he only has 36% of the votes in the poll, while Hardaker (whose name many of his voters cannot even spell correctly) has 24%. Whoever think that Zak Hardaker is as good or better than Tomkins has been deliberately not watching Catalans games, or else doesn't understand the game of rugby league. 

The England team should be:

Sam Tomkins

Tommy Makinson, Herbie Farnworth,  Mark Percival/Oliver Gildart, Tom Davies/Tom Johnstone/Ryan Hall,

John Lomax

George WIlliams

Ryan Sutton

Elliot Whitehead, John Bateman

Alex Walmsley, Josh Hodgson, Tom Burgess

Interchange: James Roby, Luke Thompson, Liam Watts, Mike McMeeken, 

I'd go with your team

In the centres herbie Farnworth in a big unit at 6 foot 3 and to be honest I'm a bit worried if we select percival and gildart in the centres 

Hardaker has not cut it at international level as many have said and Tompkins remains our number one back. 

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

<Snip>

All good points. 

I think Hardaker would be 3rd in line for the FB position; behind Tomkins and Connor. His ball handling skills aren’t as good IMO; but then again Connor isn’t blessed with the same pace... 

Hard to argue with anything else. I actually forgotten McMeeken; he’d be in there if he can have a good season at Catalan. Only point is Harvard; think the lad is a beast. If he stays injury free, he’ll have a great season and will be there on merit. 

Archived