Thu 15 Apr: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors KO 19:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/04/21 at 19:15

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t feel that strong about it, if you read what I wrote I said im not one for bashing refs, i just thought that particular penalty wes ridiculously pedantic 

I'm the last person to cheer for Leeds but I agree.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I enjoyed the game, and have enjoyed pretty much all the games so far this year. I think starting in March is such a good idea. I think Leeds could be really good when they get their men back. I thought Eastmond looked superb considering the 10 year gap since his last game of top class rugby. 

Wigan have really impressed me all year - we have so much young talent, such fitness and play an open brand of rugby, that will work far better when Gildart, French and Manfredi are fit (and then Marshall and Friend at some point). I really like what Lam has instilled in us. We look like a team that knows what we are doing. 

You definitely haven't hit your straps yet. I'd say you've been workmanlike more than anything else. However, get those players you mention back in and you will be a different prospect.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What are people’s views on Eastmond’s return so far?

I thought he looked very over rated compared to how the Sky Team were building him up. 

I noticed he only got 6 caps in Union and these were 6 to 7 years ago. 

However, you are a better judge of a player than me so if you think differently I will listen.🙂

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

got an early start in morn - was going to listen to game on bedside radio - nothing on bbc radio leeds! digital bbc radio leeds fm! or 5livesport extra!- not lugging a laptop to bed so game over for me 

I only found out tonight by trying to get the game on my Smart TV and the BBC App that you can no longer listen to the games anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Niels said:

I thought he looked very over rated compared to how the Sky Team were building him up. 

I noticed he only got 6 caps in Union and these were 6 to 7 years ago. 

However, you are a better judge of a player than me so if you think differently I will listen.🙂

I think it’s a bit harsh to say over rated its his first game back for a decade, he was very quiet first half but dhowed a few glimpses in the second, he also went ok in defence, looked to be blowing out of his ###### though at points

if we are talking about rule changes please end the driving a player back into in goal for a drop out someone is going to get a serious injury eventually.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

I don't expect Eastmond will be a superstar.  What he will do hopefully once he gets fit and back into the swing of RL is help take pressure off Gale and add a few more attacking options.

If Leeds don't start getting some players back we're going to end up with too much to do to get to the play offs, regardless of how good a theoretical best 17 is when everyone's fit. We definitely need to not go into games with a mindset of aiming for plucky defeats and start aiming to get wins by any means necessary.

10 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

managed to listen to leeds games on radio leeds before smartfones - the internet and digital- thanks for pointing out the problem is me for not throwing money at huge companies in exchange for pointless inane sheeite 

Got it.

Radio on the kind of radio that was around when you were young = good and as it should be.

Radio on anything else = bad and new and wrong because reasons.

You got old. How sad.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

managed to listen to leeds games on radio leeds before smartfones - the internet and digital- thanks for pointing out the problem is me for not throwing money at huge companies in exchange for pointless inane sheeite 

Yet you have laptop. 😊

8 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I don't expect Eastmond will be a superstar.  What he will do hopefully once he gets fit and back into the swing of RL is help take pressure off Gale and add a few more attacking options.

If Leeds don't start getting some players back we're going to end up with too much to do to get to the play offs, regardless of how good a theoretical best 17 is when everyone's fit. We definitely need to not go into games with a mindset of aiming for plucky defeats and start aiming to get wins by any means necessary.

I thought Dwyer said before the game they would do what they did against Saints and play physically through the middle

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

He’s hiding in plain sight. I know he’s been playing the Victorian code but you’d think he’d remember a bit.

Exactly the type of ignorant comment Kyle Eastmond doesn't deserve.

Isn't it hard enough for the guy to return to the code without this kind of abuse.

For goodness sake the man hasn't played for a year. It was well documented both from Kyle and the club that he would be gradually easing back into the sport.

Kyle deserves credit for putting his hat in the ring when Leeds suffered so many injuries amongst the ranks.

It's appalling that someone singles him out for criticism and the sake of sounding off when Kyle is respectfully doing his best to return to the Rugby League family.

No wonder our game has received so many genuine concerns regards black players being singled out for receiving unwarranted derogatory attitudes. Thought we all agreed that this needed to change?

Support the lad rather than knock him. He's a good player and will soon be making a significant impact on Leeds fortunes this season, for all the right reasons.

4 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Isn't it hard enough for the guy to return to the code without this kind of abuse.

For goodness sake the man hasn't played for a year. It was well documented both from Kyle and the club that he would be gradually easing back into the sport.

Kyle deserves credit for putting his hat in the ring when Leeds suffered so many injuries amongst the ranks.

It's appalling that someone singles him out for criticism and the sake of sounding off when Kyle is respectfully doing his best to return to the Rugby League family.

No wonder our game has received so many genuine concerns regards black players being singled out for receiving unwarranted derogatory attitudes. Thought we all agreed that this needed to change?

Support the lad rather than knock him. He's a good player and will soon be making a significant impact on Leeds fortunes this season, for all the right reasons.

Playing the race card, eh? Pathetic.

Danny McGuire said much the same thing about Eastmond at half-time. He was hiding. 

40 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Playing the race card, eh? Pathetic.

Danny McGuire said much the same thing about Eastmond at half-time. He was hiding. 

I'm not sure I agree with either you or rojo.  It guess it will take him 2 months to get properly fit.  Indeed it would take another close season to be where he ought to be.

He can't possibly be like he was 10 years ago.  And he will have missed all the necessary years rl experience to go with it.  

My only comment would be he looked fatter than his youth.  I may be wrong there.  But I'd say he is a long way away from proper conditioning.

Wigan on the other had looked pretty fit.  Clarke was right about how Wigans opponents start fast but ultimately don't keep it up.  There are only 2 or 3 teams which add a bit of extra flair to that 'fast 20 minutes' mix. And I guess Wigan would push up themselves.

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm not sure I agree with either you or rojo.  It guess it will take him 2 months to get properly fit.  Indeed it would take another close season to be where he ought to be.

He can't possibly be like he was 10 years ago.  And he will have missed all the necessary years rl experience to go with it.  

My only comment would be he looked fatter than his youth.  I may be wrong there.  But I'd say he is a long way away from proper conditioning.

I realise Eastmond was never going to give a world-class performance in his first game back in RL for a decade but, BUT, having been picked I expected him to have more involvement than he did. 

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Impressed by Hardaker. Looks like he is returning to form, though conversion attempts might need Botica-style focus in training.

Wigan have a good mix.  Clearly other clubs have good players as well.  But Wigan have a good balance, experience and youth. Size and mobility. And flexibility... move players into different positions.  Key players to spark the rest.

The mix is not perfect of course.  Goal kicking is, no pun, an Achilles heel.  Hankinson looks a v good goal kicker, but cannot get in the side.  When Hardaker kick accurately he does not see to get distance.  But in a year or two French, Hastings and Tommy may not be there. If Wigan find a goal kicking replacement then that would be a big bonus.

And despite all the good that Powell does (and yes its a lot), Wigan have the weakest no.9 of the remaining top teams. But it's all relative of course.  

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I realise Eastmond was never going to give a world-class performance in his first game back in RL for a decade but, BUT, having been picked I expected him to have more involvement than he did. 

Indeed.

It's not really for me to criticise Leeds, who have problems.  It's a shame for Gale. And myself i think they were unlucky to have a player suspended.  But Wigan also had 5 backs out. But still had some flair.

Leeds look to have some earnest young players and forwards who would carry it up with enthusiasm.  But for all its injuries and for all the effort, the club has got itself in a situation where it's not got it's depth or its mix right. I think that if teams go at them with expectation, then they might be in trouble.

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Impressed by Hardaker. Looks like he is returning to form, though conversion attempts might need Botica-style focus in training.

Hardaker is playing great, but his goal kicking may well cost Wigan in tight games. I've seen a few attempts from out wide where he hasn't even managed to reach the posts. Is he really their best option?

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed.

It's not really for me to criticise Leeds, who have problems.  It's a shame for Gale. And myself i think they were unlucky to have a player suspended.  But Wigan also had 5 backs out. But still had some flair.

Leeds look to have some earnest young players and forwards who would carry it up with enthusiasm.  But for all its injuries and for all the effort, the club has got itself in a situation where it's not got it's depth or its mix right. I think that if teams go at them with expectation, then they might be in trouble.

Both had plenty missing from their backline. The big difference is that Wigan had internationals (current or former) at 1, 6 and 7. Leeds had a second rower, a guy playing his first game of RL in 10 years, and a rookie (a very promising one btw, I like the look of him).

Leeds just don't have anyone to steer the ship at the minute. The attack is pedestrian and they are having to play to their strengths which is making it a forward battle. Not anyones fault, they just don't have the personel in those important positions.

1 hour ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Every player should only be judged on how he plays, nothing else.

That includes whether he plays good or bad. 

Eastmond hasn't played for a year and League for ten years. What did people expect? He stood up well in defence and threw a very good pass to Briscoe which led to the one Leeds try. Perhaps if he'd not thrown that quality pass to Briscoe Leeds would have been nilled?

19 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Eastmond hasn't played for a year and League for ten years. What did people expect? He stood up well in defence and threw a very good pass to Briscoe which led to the one Leeds try. Perhaps if he'd not thrown that quality pass to Briscoe Leeds would have been nilled?

I was happy enough with him. There weren't any of the grotesque defensive lapses which one may have expected. He set up that try with the pass and kick and was functional enough. Can only get better, possibly a lot better.

Archived