Challenge Cup semi-final Draw

Hull FC v St Helens

Castleford or Salford v Warrington

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Where do we think they’ll be played? Headingley? Wigan? Notlob?

Bolton or Huddersfield most likely I think. Of the grounds that have been used for double headers/ big games in the last year St Helens, Warrington and KCOM can't be used as the teams that play there will be in the semis and Headingley may not be possible either as the women's cup final is part of a triple header and Leeds are still in that competition so could be playing as part of it too. Having any team playing at home would be poor for such important games (though they were willing to risk Hull FC playing at home in the GF last year).

27 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Bolton or Huddersfield most likely I think. Of the grounds that have been used for double headers/ big games in the last year St Helens, Warrington and KCOM can't be used as the teams that play there will be in the semis and Headingley may not be possible either as the women's cup final is part of a triple header and Leeds are still in that competition so could be playing as part of it too. Having any team playing at home would be poor for such important games (though they were willing to risk Hull FC playing at home in the GF last year).

They’ve had away teams playing at home in the league though. The RFL will go with wherever is cheapest. 

14 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

With crowds being allowed back in, do you think they might go with somewhere a bit bigger to let in a percentage of the capacity?

I was hoping they’d have used two venues so more fans of all clubs could attend. Instead you’ll have six sets of fans with small percentages of ticket allocations. 

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Interesting semi finals . I’ll go for a Hull v Castleford final . 

That's what I'm hoping for, mainly as it would be the first cup final without at least one of Wigan, Leeds, Saints or Warrington in it since 1986.

46 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

That's what I'm hoping for, mainly as it would be the first cup final without at least one of Wigan, Leeds, Saints or Warrington in it since 1986.

35 years with at least one of the same 4 teams.   Similar for the league.   Was it '87 when Widnes won the title?

10 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

35 years with at least one of the same 4 teams.   Similar for the league.   Was it '87 when Widnes won the title?

It was '88-89 season when Widnes won the league, the last time the title wasn't won by one of Wigan, Leeds, Saints or Bradford.

16 hours ago, wiganermike said:

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

2 truly depressing statistics in a salary called sport 

It is an odd way of presenting it though. 

During that period we have had the following teams play in Cup Finals:

Halifax

Saints

Wigan

Widnes

Leeds

Bradford

Sheffield

London

Hull

Hudds

Catalans

Warrington

Hull KR

Salford

Castleford

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Halifax

Saints

Wigan

Wire

Cas

Widnes

Leeds

Bradford

Sheffield

London

Hull

Hudds

Catalans

Warrington

Hull KR

Salford

Castleford

Sssshhh, that doesn’t suit the agenda. 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wigan

You sure about this one mate?

Don't recall them having much success at Wembley in the last thirty odd years...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Halifax

Saints

Wigan

Widnes

Leeds

Bradford

Sheffield

London

Hull

Hudds

Catalans

Warrington

Hull KR

Salford

Castleford

We have had more variation in "other" clubs making the cup final than we have with the GF in that time but of that list Fax haven't appeared in the final since 1988, Widnes since '93, Sheffield '98, London '99 and only 5 of those clubs (other than Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Saints) have won a final in those 35 years. It seems easy for me to say it with my team having been knocked out but to me a semi final line up of Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull and Cas (or Salford) would have been more interesting. It's great watching your own club compete in and win finals but when it is the same clubs more often than not in them it does become dull for everyone else. If there were at least some years where none of the four were making it maybe there would be more interest in the cup all round. One of the most enjoyable finals as a neutral for me was 2009 when Warrington beat Huddersfield as it had been 19 years since a final for Warrington and only the second final in 47 years for Huddersfield (though Warrington have made a habit of appearing there regularly since).

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Halifax

Saints

Wigan

Wire

Cas

Widnes

Leeds

Bradford

Sheffield

London

Hull

Hudds

Catalans

Warrington

Hull KR

Salford

Castleford

I like the way you've classed 'Cas' and 'Castleford' and 'Wire' and 'Warrington' as different clubs to make the list a little longer! 😂 

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

I like the way you've classed 'Cas' and 'Castleford' and 'Wire' and 'Warrington' as different clubs to make the list a little longer! 😂 

Well spotted 🤣

3 hours ago, wiganermike said:

We have had more variation in "other" clubs making the cup final than we have with the GF in that time but of that list Fax haven't appeared in the final since 1988, Widnes since '93, Sheffield '98, London '99 and only 5 of those clubs (other than Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Saints) have won a final in those 35 years. It seems easy for me to say it with my team having been knocked out but to me a semi final line up of Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull and Cas (or Salford) would have been more interesting. It's great watching your own club compete in and win finals but when it is the same clubs more often than not in them it does become dull for everyone else. If there were at least some years where none of the four were making it maybe there would be more interest in the cup all round. One of the most enjoyable finals as a neutral for me was 2009 when Warrington beat Huddersfield as it had been 19 years since a final for Warrington and only the second final in 47 years for Huddersfield (though Warrington have made a habit of appearing there regularly since).

But it's an artificial grouping you've created, I'm not sure I agree with your point at all. 

We have had a lot of very good Cup Finals, Wire beating Hudds may have been enjoyable for you because of this criteria, but personally I loved the 3rd appearance where we did Leeds even more, and beating Saints 2 years ago was a high of my lifetime. 

The games against Leeds were far more attractive from a crowd point of view too than the Hudds one. 

I'm not sure I get the obsession with nitpicking over Variety of winners (not aimed just at you BTW), I think the Cup has had a good amount of variety and a lot of very good finals - it should be no surprise that sports contain good teams who frequent more finals. 

Last year was an outstanding final, it was no worse because Leeds were in it. Similarly the Wire v Hull one with the wonder tackle was great, and not diminished because both teams had played in recent finals. 

I think we need to be prepared to just enjoy it without almost going out of our way to find an issue. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But it's an artificial grouping you've created, I'm not sure I agree with your point at all. 

We have had a lot of very good Cup Finals, Wire beating Hudds may have been enjoyable for you because of this criteria, but personally I loved the 3rd appearance where we did Leeds even more, and beating Saints 2 years ago was a high of my lifetime. 

The games against Leeds were far more attractive from a crowd point of view too than the Hudds one. 

I'm not sure I get the obsession with nitpicking over Variety of winners (not aimed just at you BTW), I think the Cup has had a good amount of variety and a lot of very good finals - it should be no surprise that sports contain good teams who frequent more finals. 

Last year was an outstanding final, it was no worse because Leeds were in it. Similarly the Wire v Hull one with the wonder tackle was great, and not diminished because both teams had played in recent finals. 

I think we need to be prepared to just enjoy it without almost going out of our way to find an issue. 

Exactly, different things capture different people. As a kid I liked it when different coloured kits were involved in the final like the 1990 Wigan v Wire and 1992 Wigan v Cas. It didn't really matter they were both Wigan and both easy victories - the colour and excitement around the stadium makes the atmosphere sometimes.

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Initial allocation 600 tickets per team 

*shakes head sadly*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

*shakes head sadly*

My guess is 3600 for the teams and 400 for sponsors etc to make the magic 4k

I'm wondering if that's the limit no matter the venues that were available.  Stand alone games may have been the better option.

Archived