Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Now the NRL are claiming RL can be at the 2032 Olympics - seriously?? Also claiming all the credit for the 4-years of ground work.

If it happens on the East Coast of Australia we are all over it. Anywhere else - sod off!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in-with-a-real-shot-why-league-is-confident-of-olympic-inclusion-in-2032-20210724-p58cle.html

I hadn't realised that the organisers can add one-off sports into the main programme so, yup, I'd say there's a more than decent chance that some form of rugby league will be in Brisbane in 2032.

It won't mean anything either side of that as nobody in the game will put in the hard yards to make us a permanent fixture.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I hadn't realised that the organisers can add one-off sports into the main programme so, yup, I'd say there's a more than decent chance that some form of rugby league will be in Brisbane in 2032.

It won't mean anything either side of that as nobody in the game will put in the hard yards to make us a permanent fixture.

There has also only been one international 9s tournament in 24 years. Yep, but if you can choose a sport with no work at all - we are all for that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yep, but if you can choose a sport with no work at all - we are all for that!

Yes - seems it's now a thing that is possible.

Only downside: the Olympics hold and sell the rights.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

I can’t remember if I have posted this or not but just in case I haven’t:

This is absolutely laughable! He has just thrown an atomic bomb into the middle of international rugby league with his withdrawal at four minutes notice Of the Australian team from the World Cup!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in-with-a-real-shot-why-league-is-confident-of-olympic-inclusion-in-2032-20210724-p58cle.html

Quote....... "What better way to [showcase] rugby league than to give the heartland a chance to be part of the Olympic Games." 

I'm glad you asked Peter.. A better way would be to support and promote a successful World Cup this year..... you n*bhead

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Just now, gingerjon said:

Yes - seems it's now a thing that is possible.

Only downside: the Olympics hold and sell the rights.

But they will use it as leverage for NRL sponsorship and will be all over it. Also, I would imagine the NRL season will have to be suspended anyway during the 2-4 weeks around it as has happened previously.

25 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Now the NRL are claiming RL can be at the 2032 Olympics - seriously?? Also claiming all the credit for the 4-years of ground work.

If it happens on the East Coast of Australia we are all over it. Anywhere else - sod off!

Yeh , in Brisbane . They can get a bus there 

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

My prediction is that this will make not a blind bit of difference.

You`re probably right but it`s good to see the NRL being shown up to be the hypocrites they are on this and especially by some one who the media hangs on his every word.

Don`t know if you`ve seen a Bennett media conference, but you`ve never seen a bloke who has the media eating out of the palm of his hand like Bennett does and they absolutely love it.

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

I have posted the full text of this story a bit earlier in this thread (p 51), cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

Worth a watch. Good balanced discussion. 

This is much more the attitude of most Aussies. We really only ever hear from the extremes.

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

Now just seen this online!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-world-cup-2021-nrl-clubs-headed-for-world-cup-showdown-australia-nz-withdraw/news-story/4dfcc41de0c6604a044590c679ed7014

International Rugby League boss Troy Grant has revealed that the UK government was prepared to spend more than a $1 million to cover all quarantine costs for NRL players and staff at Olympic Park on their return to Australia to ensure the 2021 World Cup took place.

The tournament has been thrown into turmoil after Australia and New Zealand decided to withdraw their teams from participating, citing Covid-19 concerns.

One of the major sticking points around the involvement of the Kangaroos and the Kiwis in the World Cup was what quarantine conditions NRL-based players would face after flying back from the UK, and whether that two-week period would then affect the start of the 2022 season.

However, Grant has claimed that World Cup organisers had secured funding to create a special precinct in Olympic Park, the same as the Australian Olympic team will experience on their return from Tokyo, where all NRL players could use to complete their quarantine that is far less restrictive than the harsh conditions members of the public have to go through.

“The UK government has helped fund the quarantine arrangements to be far more accommodating than the very strict 14-day hotel, where you’re not allowed out of the room,” he said.

“They’ve created a precinct at Homebush where there’s exercise availability for the 14 days. The time frame is the same but it’s certainly more relaxed in that precinct than the state-run hotel quarantine program.

“That's come at the assistance of the UK government and was one of the asks of both nations. It’s the same as the Australian Olympic team will do on their return, it’s the same the French rugby union team have done here.

“So there’s lots of precedent for it. It’s a process that’s even more relaxed that Hollywood actors have gone through.”

The Daily Telegraph has seen a copy of the World Cup Covid-19 policy and procedures handbook, a lengthy 74-page dossier explaining in depth how organisers plan to keep players safe from the coronavirus.

There has been a major backlash in the UK and the rest of the World Cup over Australia and New Zealand’s sudden boycott, when other major sporting events in England are taking place, and the World Cup may now be scrapped completely.

It comes as the Australian indigenous and New Zealand Maori teams are circling to break away and form shock replacements for the Kangaroos and the Kiwis.

Grant says the tournament organisers have done everything the Aussies and Kiwis have asked for.

“That’s part of the driver of the disappointment,” the former Minister for Police and the Minister for Emergency Services in the NSW Government, said.

“I’m not sure what the organising committee could do in addition to what they’ve been asked to do. As I understand it, New Zealand wanted more detail, they weren’t satisfied on the level of detail — I’m not sure what more they wanted.

“I know cost was an issue for them but that’s all been taken care of. Charter flights — that’s all been taken care of.

“The quarantining over two weeks and the disposition of the NRL clubs that was going to impact on the pre-season, I know the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) and the individual players had come to their own arrangements to forgo those two weeks so it doesn’t push them out and jeopardise that pre-season period as well.

“So that’s all the arrangements between the two that can be arrived at and have historically been done. We thought we were well advanced with all those sorts of issues, hence we were surprised when the hammer was dropped with the decision.”

Grant will meet with World Cup organisers on Monday to determine if the World Cup still goes ahead in October as planned, without Australia and New Zealand’s involvement, or if the tournament is canned completely.

The Kangaroos and Kiwis want the World Cup postponed for 12 months, but Grant admits cancellation is more likely.

“Cancellation seems to be most likely option, given the crowded window next year, the significant impact it would have commercially and broadcast-wise, competing with other significant sporting events such as the 2022 Commonwealth Games and the 2022 FIFA World Cup,” he conceded.

“The viability of it being postponed is probably a greater loss of viability than a restructured tournament with other teams.”

Some have called for Australia and NZ to be sanctioned or even banned from international rugby league for pulling out of the World Cup.

The chairman of the IRL says there is the potential to take that action, but believes it would be “very difficult”.

“It would be counter-productive, we’re trying to grow the game,” Grant said.

“It’s extraordinary circumstances [with the pandemic] … you could cut your nose off to spite your face when it comes to the future of the international game.”

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jim from Oz said:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-world-cup-2021-nrl-clubs-headed-for-world-cup-showdown-australia-nz-withdraw/news-story/4dfcc41de0c6604a044590c679ed7014

International Rugby League boss Troy Grant has revealed that the UK government was prepared to spend more than a $1 million to cover all quarantine costs for NRL players and staff at Olympic Park on their return to Australia to ensure the 2021 World Cup took place.

The tournament has been thrown into turmoil after Australia and New Zealand decided to withdraw their teams from participating, citing Covid-19 concerns.

One of the major sticking points around the involvement of the Kangaroos and the Kiwis in the World Cup was what quarantine conditions NRL-based players would face after flying back from the UK, and whether that two-week period would then affect the start of the 2022 season.

However, Grant has claimed that World Cup organisers had secured funding to create a special precinct in Olympic Park, the same as the Australian Olympic team will experience on their return from Tokyo, where all NRL players could use to complete their quarantine that is far less restrictive than the harsh conditions members of the public have to go through.

“The UK government has helped fund the quarantine arrangements to be far more accommodating than the very strict 14-day hotel, where you’re not allowed out of the room,” he said.

“They’ve created a precinct at Homebush where there’s exercise availability for the 14 days. The time frame is the same but it’s certainly more relaxed in that precinct than the state-run hotel quarantine program.

“That's come at the assistance of the UK government and was one of the asks of both nations. It’s the same as the Australian Olympic team will do on their return, it’s the same the French rugby union team have done here.

“So there’s lots of precedent for it. It’s a process that’s even more relaxed that Hollywood actors have gone through.”

The Daily Telegraph has seen a copy of the World Cup Covid-19 policy and procedures handbook, a lengthy 74-page dossier explaining in depth how organisers plan to keep players safe from the coronavirus.

There has been a major backlash in the UK and the rest of the World Cup over Australia and New Zealand’s sudden boycott, when other major sporting events in England are taking place, and the World Cup may now be scrapped completely.

It comes as the Australian indigenous and New Zealand Maori teams are circling to break away and form shock replacements for the Kangaroos and the Kiwis.

Grant says the tournament organisers have done everything the Aussies and Kiwis have asked for.

“That’s part of the driver of the disappointment,” the former Minister for Police and the Minister for Emergency Services in the NSW Government, said.

“I’m not sure what the organising committee could do in addition to what they’ve been asked to do. As I understand it, New Zealand wanted more detail, they weren’t satisfied on the level of detail — I’m not sure what more they wanted.

“I know cost was an issue for them but that’s all been taken care of. Charter flights — that’s all been taken care of.

“The quarantining over two weeks and the disposition of the NRL clubs that was going to impact on the pre-season, I know the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) and the individual players had come to their own arrangements to forgo those two weeks so it doesn’t push them out and jeopardise that pre-season period as well.

“So that’s all the arrangements between the two that can be arrived at and have historically been done. We thought we were well advanced with all those sorts of issues, hence we were surprised when the hammer was dropped with the decision.”

Grant will meet with World Cup organisers on Monday to determine if the World Cup still goes ahead in October as planned, without Australia and New Zealand’s involvement, or if the tournament is canned completely.

The Kangaroos and Kiwis want the World Cup postponed for 12 months, but Grant admits cancellation is more likely.

“Cancellation seems to be most likely option, given the crowded window next year, the significant impact it would have commercially and broadcast-wise, competing with other significant sporting events such as the 2022 Commonwealth Games and the 2022 FIFA World Cup,” he conceded.

“The viability of it being postponed is probably a greater loss of viability than a restructured tournament with other teams.”

Some have called for Australia and NZ to be sanctioned or even banned from international rugby league for pulling out of the World Cup.

The chairman of the IRL says there is the potential to take that action, but believes it would be “very difficult”.

“It’s extraordinary circumstances [with the pandemic] … you could cut your nose off to spite your face when it comes to the future of the international game.”

Well, well, well. Another excuse is shown up to be baseless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim from Oz said:

So that proves everything, it's an NRL coup

The RLWC 2021 organising committee, plus the RLPA players union, met all the demands of the NRL clubs – and in response V'landys and the NR%L clubs pulled the pin

So cancellation looks likely

It's beyond staggering

And if it comes to pass, that will be the end of my 46-year involvement with the game. End of story.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

I've gotta stop reading this thread, it's just making me angrier and angrier. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. I am completely f*cking done with Aussie RL, f*cking selfish scumbags the lot of them!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

My guess is that the NRL want control of Aus, NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG. This allows for yearly end of season competitive tournaments that all can be held in Australasia and sold to TV - giving them the proceeds. 

State of Origins ratings have fallen quite significantly in the last 2-3 years. The NRL/ARLC want another TV product to sell on top of SOO and the NRL. That is basically how International RL is viewed down under now.

All these nations then pull out of the IRL and form their own body - run by the NRL. England and France are told "this is what we are doing. You can join if you want to... if not, bye!".

2025 8-team World Cup.

55 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

I reckon this is very very close to the money (especially as there's now lots of talk of NRL moaning about "heritage"  nations at RLWCs, such as Lebanon, Italy etc)

Really think you could be onto something here, especially with Gould`s quote you put up Jim, silly ###### can`t keep his mouth shut, but this could fit right in with the way V`landy`s mind works. He knows it`s all about content, the more you can give the broadcasters the bigger the deal. And that`s all he interested in. And unfortunately WC`s on the other side of the world, beaming into Oz at 5.00a.m. in the morning aren`t worth much to anybody.

Might also explain part of the big jump in the NZ deal if they`ve promised them more content. This was a deal that went up by 70% in a soft rights market. Very odd given that there is no new team over there in the immediate pipeline.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

So that proves everything, it's an NRL coup

The RLWC 2021 organising committee, plus the RLPA players union, met all the demands of the NRL clubs – and in response V'landys and the NR%L clubs pulled the pin

So cancellation looks likely

It's beyond staggering

And if it comes to pass, that will be the end of my 46-year involvement with the game. End of story.

Sadly Jim it could be me too - at least for the foreseeable future. The World Cup was the only thing I was looking forward to as Super League currently is a basket case with zero leadership. I never thought I would be driven away from the game that has dominated my whole life 😞 I don't even take this lightly

They have shattered the dreams of 100s of wheelchair and women players who were due to get unprecedented coverage. They have now probably ended the concept of a World Cup for the medium term future. So sad it is pathetic. 

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've gotta stop reading this thread, it's just making me angrier and angrier. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. I am completely f*cking done with Aussie RL, f*cking selfish scumbags the lot of them!! 

Feel 100%  the same way. It's utterly sickening. All those players from all those nations, plus the women and wheelchair players, all their dreams and hopes and expectations of playing in a World Cup … gone.

I can't understand why more players (men, women, wheelchair) aren't making their feelings known at this staggering betrayal.

Edited by Jim from Oz
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Speechless. Self centered scumbaggery of the highest order.

I am speechless. I am disgusted. I am utterly sickened to the core. I actually really feel sick. The betrayal is just beyond belief.

And the organisers ! I feel so sorry for them! Four years of effort !

Then there's the staggering financial hit for global RL, just so V'landys can make a bit more $$$ for the NRL.

Who will pay for the massive losses the IRL will now be left with ? They will be wound up, no doubt.

IMHO it is worse then the Super League War, but the vast majority of fans here in Oz just have no idea …

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This could pretty much finish the RFL. They borrowed at sht load of cash during Covid, no crowds for 2020 GF and CC plus underwriting the 2021 RLWC. 

Yes - it is worth repeating that a chunk of the RFL loan from the government was to deliver this World Cup.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

My guess is that the NRL want control of Aus, NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG. This allows for yearly end of season competitive tournaments that all can be held in Australasia and sold to TV - giving them the proceeds. 

State of Origins ratings have fallen quite significantly in the last 2-3 years. The NRL/ARLC want another TV product to sell on top of SOO and the NRL. That is basically how International RL is viewed down under now.

Applying the ‘follow the money’ maxim, that does make some sense. Yet even that doesn’t explain the decision to pull out of the 2021 World Cup. I really do think it’s down to small time petty-mindedness about quarantine and pre-season training.

• Like 1

If the NRL actions lead to the cancellation of the World Cup with all the repercussions and connotations to the game this will never be forgotten or forgiven and every statement they make about international rugby league will be a sick joke 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

The fig leaf in front of the naked power grab is now removed for all hopefully.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This could pretty much finish the RFL. They borrowed at sht load of cash during Covid, no crowds for 2020 GF and CC plus underwriting the 2021 RLWC. 

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes - it is worth repeating that a chunk of the RFL loan from the government was to deliver this World Cup.

I have no legal training but would love it if there was a genuine legal case, ideally backed by the British government, to recover all costs incurred from the NRL. Pipe dream I know, but I can hope.

• Like 5

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand