Jump to content

New team in the GF


Recommended Posts

Looking forward to Dragons v Rovers and good luck to both.

Only problem is if the Dragons win I cannot see more than around 500 being able to make the trip due to restrictions and cost as brilliant as it would be to see them there I predict around 12/15000 shaved off the crowd sadly.

Would love to be proved wrong.

 

P

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think there is a sensible conversation to be had on the playoffs and the Grand Final approach to naming the champions. 

I am not particularly partisan on any approach and am happy to enjoy the rugby but on both sides of the argument.

1. The Grand Final is a huge success and certainly creates a dramatic and high profile end to the year.  The rest of the play offs less so of course.

2. There is a real perception - often articulated - that the play offs mean that the regular season 'doesn't matter' as long as you get in the play offs.  We had this discussion recently with people saying the league leaders shield was a meaningless trophy.  This is far more evident here than in Australia where the regular season games are seen as meaningful in and of their own right.

I think there is a powerful argument for a league leaders are champions approach.  Firstly I think it would change the perception of the regular season games and probably instil a different attitude in players, coaches and fans.

Secondly, I think it would also reinvigorate the Challenge Cup with the final becoming the 'big' final of the year and bring it back to the fore.

I like the fact we have stuck with the play offs and the Grand Final and it has become an institution but I wouldn't dismiss a different approach out of hand.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well despite the dark side being just 80mins from a Grand Final I have to agree and say it is never a bad thing a new team getting to the final. I will be ecstatic if Catalans get there and I will respectful to the other lot if they get there, although I will want them to get slaughtered. 

It is remarkable what both of those clubs have done in the last few years. Catalans were in the million pound game, facing relegation and bounce back to win the cup, the league leaders shield and potentially the entire comp as well, an amazing story if it happens. KR were relegated just a few years ago and again, are so close to a final. When you think as well, Salford who relegated KR with that drop goal bounced back just like Catalans did and got to both finals. 

It shows that our league is far more competitive than a lot of people think. Any team, no matter how poor a period they go through can clearly find some form and achieve something great. Never at the start of a SL season can you really just say which team is going to win what trophy which I think makes for a very exciting league! 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

It would probably be all organised, tickets sold, tv schedule agreed and then the NRL would change their minds....

But it would be a great idea... wake start the day with a Grand Final drink until the Super Grand Final and then go out and celebrate the Grand Final

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

My girlfriend normally gets bored and leaves before I come. 

 

(sorry, I had to, the joke was right in front of me, I apologise, mods delete it if you want). 

Ooh say na more there's why 

Edited by fieldofclothofgold

 Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Looking forward to Dragons v Rovers and good luck to both.

Only problem is if the Dragons win I cannot see more than around 500 being able to make the trip due to restrictions and cost as brilliant as it would be to see them there I predict around 12/15000 shaved off the crowd sadly.

Would love to be proved wrong.

 

P

If Catalans get to the final I will definitely go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bod said:

An end of season knock out cup competition to decide the Champions. No wonder people can't be bothered to attend our sport.

I’m not sure you can call it “our sport” with that kind of attitude.

Get yourself a soccer club and enjoy it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bod said:

An end of season knock out cup competition to decide the Champions. No wonder people can't be bothered to attend our sport.

I know, must come as a huge surprise to fans that there's play offs to be champion, especially as its such a new concept...

4 hours ago, Bod said:

But how many of those attend through the season? People jumping on the final bandwagon doesn't mean it's a good system for the sport.

Loads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bod said:

But how many of those attend through the season? People jumping on the final bandwagon doesn't mean it's a good system for the sport.

And yet it’s the system the sport has used for the majority of its existence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having two new teams in the final in three years is great for the game, especially if there is a new name on the trophy.

The Grand Final has been a great success and I see no reason to get rid. Moments such as wide to West and that Rob Burrow GF try wouldn’t be as iconic as they are if it was still the old style Premiership.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Looking forward to Dragons v Rovers and good luck to both.

Only problem is if the Dragons win I cannot see more than around 500 being able to make the trip due to restrictions and cost as brilliant as it would be to see them there I predict around 12/15000 shaved off the crowd sadly.

Nice to see that the Perpignan public (unlike in the UK) wants to see play-off games though. Fewer than 500 remaining tickets for the game.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JonM said:

Nice to see that the Perpignan public (unlike in the UK) wants to see play-off games though. Fewer than 500 remaining tickets for the game.

Should be a great night. They could have probably sold over 20k.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Yes it will be packed:))))

Perpignan and Toulouse and other areas of the South of France are REAL Rugby areas:)

There is more chance of a French man being loyal to his missis than football taking over down here:)

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think there is a sensible conversation to be had on the playoffs and the Grand Final approach to naming the champions. 

I am not particularly partisan on any approach and am happy to enjoy the rugby but on both sides of the argument.

1. The Grand Final is a huge success and certainly creates a dramatic and high profile end to the year.  The rest of the play offs less so of course.

2. There is a real perception - often articulated - that the play offs mean that the regular season 'doesn't matter' as long as you get in the play offs.  We had this discussion recently with people saying the league leaders shield was a meaningless trophy.  This is far more evident here than in Australia where the regular season games are seen as meaningful in and of their own right.

I think there is a powerful argument for a league leaders are champions approach.  Firstly I think it would change the perception of the regular season games and probably instil a different attitude in players, coaches and fans.

Secondly, I think it would also reinvigorate the Challenge Cup with the final becoming the 'big' final of the year and bring it back to the fore.

I like the fact we have stuck with the play offs and the Grand Final and it has become an institution but I wouldn't dismiss a different approach out of hand.

I think we should only change things if there is a real reason and benefit, and I don't see the benefit of what you propose. The downside is we lose the 65-70k Grand Final and all the money and profile that comes with it. 

I also don't see this taking away from the regular season - the evidence is almost the opposite as the crowds are better for regular games.

What needs fixing are the playoff games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bod said:

An end of season knock out cup competition to decide the Champions. No wonder people can't be bothered to attend our sport.

We’ve had the playoffs for more years in our game than not. Do you know any RL history? 

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think we should only change things if there is a real reason and benefit, and I don't see the benefit of what you propose. The downside is we lose the 65-70k Grand Final and all the money and profile that comes with it. 

I also don't see this taking away from the regular season - the evidence is almost the opposite as the crowds are better for regular games.

What needs fixing are the playoff games. 

To be clear, I wasn't proposing anything.  Just assessing some of the pros and cons of each system. As I said, I am not partisan in this.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be clear, I wasn't proposing anything.  Just assessing some of the pros and cons of each system. As I said, I am not partisan in this.

Aye, I understood mate. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Agreed and I would keep building it and building it into a real celebration (top to bottom of rugby league in this country) of the game.

I would celebrate all the champion teams at other levels, all the great retirees, some music and anything else to make it feel like a big event.

The only slight pivot I would make is while still keeping it affordable for all, just to tone down some of the excessive drinking.  I like a drink to unwind with the match, but it’s obvious some can’t handle and behave after a whole afternoon of it.

I don’t know what the solution is sadly and we still want a great atmosphere, but just in keeping with the best traditions of rugby league fans.

I’ve only been to three GFs but I’ve never seen any trouble, a few ###### people (me included) but all good natured. Maybe I’ve just been lucky though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bratman said:

I don't see a problem with people jumping on the final bandwagon, it's been happening for years with the Challenge Cup, and it attracts new fans to a live game.

True, I’ve taken pals to the GF who’ve never been to a game of RL, they’ve loved it but quite understandably I wouldn’t get them to go to Belle Vue on a Tuesday night. It’s no different to the FA Vase getting 20,000 fans in when the clubs average about 400 each. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

True, I’ve taken pals to the GF who’ve never been to a game of RL, they’ve loved it but quite understandably I wouldn’t get them to go to Belle Vue on a Tuesday night. It’s no different to the FA Vase getting 20,000 fans in when the clubs average about 400 each. 

Correct Tunbridge Wells average 300 took 13000 to the FA VASE final:)

 

P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

We’ve had the playoffs for more years in our game than not. Do you know any RL history? 

We also had two leagues then.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Correct Tunbridge Wells average 300 took 13000 to the FA VASE final:)

 

P

Lowestoft took about 15,000 too, they average around 500. There’s nothing wrong with that whatsoever. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...