Jump to content

Wigan Sign Halfback Cade Cust from Manly


Recommended Posts


12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

nathan cleary

I know we’ve got some bang average players in the squad but we’d have to pay them 50 quid a game to fit Cleary in under the cap and we would have to kidnap him.

Edited by Davo5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our game has changed there isn't marque players around. That's the main reason for the drop off in support.

In past years the likes of Wigan etc would never even consider such a  signing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frank said:

Our game has changed there isn't marque players around. That's the main reason for the drop off in support.

In past years the likes of Wigan etc would never even consider such a  signing.

 

Yes they would & have,Superleague is littered with relative unknown imports who have gone on and had successfully careers over here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 12:14, Saint Toppy said:

Serious "bargain basement" signing if they're expecting him to be their 1st choice half next year. 

 

  • Haha 1

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 16:04, EagleEyePie said:

Happy with this. We really needed to bring someone in but the quality available hasn't been great. It was always likely to mean taking a risk on someone who isn't proven but has potential. No he's not a big name player but Hastings wasn't either when he signed for Salford and Blake Green wasn't when he signed for Hull KR and those are two of the best halves Wigan have had in recent history. We're just hoping to cut out the middle men in this instance.

We needed a new halfback but also cover at hooker with Powell underperforming and O'Neill lacking experience, so he's providing the cover we need.

As happy as I'll be if he is a dud, this is right. There are some gems to be signed who haven't done it in the NRL yet and we should be open to trying to uncover them. 

He could go either way, he could be a Green or Hastings, or looking at my own club, we signed Matt Rodwell and Michael Sullivan who were duds at 7 and had far more experience. 

Still one of my favourite Wire players in SL is Brent Grose who had limited NRL pedigree. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 17:01, Davo5 said:

Promising player who was highly thought of at Manly,likes to take the line on which we lacked last year but we are still seriously lacking at centre,can’t wait for the Thornley announcement 😩😩

I think Thornley will do OK for Wigan Dav, are you just remembering him at Catalans and making you mind up from that?

He will be playing against the same people he played against last season in a poor Leigh team with about a dozen different half back combinations and 4 or 5 different fullbacks linking into the line, in possession of the bal Thornoey did very well against his opposites, you should wait and make a judgement after a number of games, and not preempt it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think Thornley will do OK for Wigan Dav, are you just remembering him at Catalans and making you mind up from that?

He will be playing against the same people he played against last season in a poor Leigh team with about a dozen different half back combinations and 4 or 5 different fullbacks linking into the line, in possession of the bal Thornoey did very well against his opposites, you should wait and make a judgement after a number of games, and not preempt it.

Apart from his first spell at Wigan he’s been bang average since he came back from Union,we’ve struggled at centre for a few years now & Thornley isn’t the answer although he’s probably better there than Isa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/11/2021 at 17:55, Davo5 said:

Have you seen him play ?

Which star NRL halfback were you expecting Wigan to sign ?

What's that got to do with anything? This is a TRL forum, after all. 😃😃😃

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/11/2021 at 17:55, Davo5 said:

Have you seen him play ?

Which star NRL halfback were you expecting Wigan to sign ?

Looks like Catalans have just signed Mitchell Pearce. Time will tell which of the two signings proves to be the more astute/successful, but in terms of wow factor and exciting your supporter base, I suspect the Catalans signing has more impact than the Wigan one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Looks like Catalans have just signed Mitchell Pearce. Time will tell which of the two signings proves to be the more astute/successful, but in terms of wow factor and exciting your supporter base, I suspect the Catalans signing has more impact than the Wigan one.  

Who ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Looks like Catalans have just signed Mitchell Pearce. Time will tell which of the two signings proves to be the more astute/successful, but in terms of wow factor and exciting your supporter base, I suspect the Catalans signing has more impact than the Wigan one.  

Being a long time Roosters fan I’ve watched Pearce for years,very good player but I’ve never thought of him having any wow factor,even more so at this stage of his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Who ?

Mitchell Pierce 32 year old scrum half and son of the legendary Wayne Pierce, done his time in the NRL but now surplus to requirement in that comp awash with good, very good and potentially rising stars in his position, our lack in the Northern Hemisphere of producing quality half backs of any numbers means we will always be obliged to allow Antipodean player's of a certain age an extention to their carrears, in any position.

How about instead of restricting the number of clubs running Academies the RFL threw the doors open and allowed any club that wishes to introduce young players to the pro game the opportunity to do so instead of just pampering to a chosen few, and another 3 who but for arguing and complaining would have also been refused to run an academy.

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mitchell Pierce 32 year old scrum half and son of the legendary Wayne Pierce, done his time in the NRL but now surplus to requirement in that comp awash with good, very good and potentially rising stars in his position, our lack in the Northern Hemisphere of producing quality half backs of any numbers means we will always be obliged to allow Antipodean player's of a certain age an extention to their carrears, in any position.

How about instead of restricting the number of clubs running Academies the RFL threw the doors open and allowed any club that wishes to introduce young players to the pro game the opportunity to do so instead of just pampering to a chosen few, and another 3 who but for arguing and complaining would have also been refused to run an academy.

He was hardly surplus to requirements H,that’s why Newcastle took several weeks to grant him the early release from his contract he requested.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While Cust is not a big name signing he is a good player. I think Cust is the type of NRL player more SL clubs should sign. Young, has talent and wants to prove a point. 
 

Didn’t get an opportunity with Foran/DCE as the halves last year. But Cust is a good running half and. Strong defender. He would be a good 6 with a ball dominant 7 who can lead the team and around and handle most of the kicking. 
 

I’m not sure if Wigan is the right team for him but he is a good player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Looks like Catalans have just signed Mitchell Pearce. Time will tell which of the two signings proves to be the more astute/successful, but in terms of wow factor and exciting your supporter base, I suspect the Catalans signing has more impact than the Wigan one.  

Probably so ,  but I’d take Cust if I had a choice . I’ve never been a big Pearce fan tbh , and he has had a fair bit of wear n year in recent times 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He was hardly surplus to requirements H,that’s why Newcastle took several weeks to grant him the early release from his contract he requested.

This is correct, the Knights wanted him for 2022 and we’re going to pay him 600k for the season. However he asked for a release which they granted. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...