Salford red devils squad 2022!

DG70

Just looking at their squad, the backs are as good as any in the SL but the pack looks like it could be their weak spot, any thoughts?

Some real quality all over the backs, shame about the forwards, looks the like guy who goes to the gym and never does a legs session!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

Just looking at their squad, the backs are as good as any in the SL but the pack looks like it could be their weak spot, any thoughts?

Some real quality all over the backs, shame about the forwards, looks the like guy who goes to the gym and never does a legs session!! 

Definately 

A high quality set of backs, the best they have had in some years 

10 hours ago, Pie tries said:

I hope SRD will be surprise package this year. Back line, half backs- and coaches all class. Injuries will be crucial in such a small squad

Their strength is clearly their backs, I will reserve judgment on Brodie Croft for now, but they will very much need Sneyd’s kicking game . Salford’s forward pack has absolutely no depth to it, a couple of injuries and they will run out of forwards. If Super League number 10’s were ranked I’d put Salford’s number 10 Greg Burke bottom of the pile. I think they will really struggle for field position and territory and be out muscled in most games. 

• Like 1

So therefore play to your strengths. It doesn't always have to be payed down the middle all the time, and although I agree the pack isn't the biggest there are other ways to skin a cat. 

Kicking game and moving it effectively could be quite entertaining this year. Also think that although not the biggest they do look mobile which will help with new rules which increase the amount of time the ball is in play. 

Looking forward to seeing what Mr Rowley can deliver tbh

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 07:38, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Their strength is clearly their backs, I will reserve judgment on Brodie Croft for now, but they will very much need Sneyd’s kicking game . Salford’s forward pack has absolutely no depth to it, a couple of injuries and they will run out of forwards. If Super League number 10’s were ranked I’d put Salford’s number 10 Greg Burke bottom of the pile. I think they will really struggle for field position and territory and be out muscled in most games. 

good post, will be interesting to watch. Certainly the squad is much stronger. 
They will move the ball. PR won’t play up the middle. Will be exiting to watch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

They will be placed well above 12th, thats for sure !

They will lose a few but will score plenty of points and would not surprise me if they turn Cas over. +12 is an excellent bet.

Cas are rightly heavy favourites against relegation contenders Salford, I can’t see anything other than a Cas win, as I’ve stated above Salford don’t have the forwards for the job, they have a Championship pack that won’t match other Super League clubs. If you really think otherwise Betfred have Salford at 7/1 to finish in the top 6, I think this would be as good as throwing money in the bin, the Super League title sponsor clearly don’t hold out much for their home town club. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

They will be placed well above 12th, thats for sure !

They will lose a few but will score plenty of points and would not surprise me if they turn Cas over. +12 is an excellent bet.

not sure about that

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Having watched both pre-season games I'm confident we'll be competitive this season.

Avoiding injuries to the middles will be our issue. Wells has impressed me every time he's played but his injury record is a huge worry, King looks very strong (albeit raw) and contrary to other posters on here Burke has been an extremely reliable part of Grand Final and Challenge Cup Final squads. Sam Luckley is improving all the time. Add in Akauola, Ormondroyd, Gerrard and Johnson I don't think depth is an issue.

The sheer amount of work Taylor & Wright get through in the back row will help as well.

On Croft, I'm already resigned to a bigger club coming in for him next season tbh. I'm going to enjoy him whilst I can.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Get to Betfred, they have Salford at 7/1 to finish in the top 6

I don't think we make the top 6 this season (I think this is the strongest Super League in years with the way Leeds have strengthened, KR adding Coote etc) but I might have to take a bit of 7/1.

It’s great you can make a case for so many clubs making the top 6 and Salford would be one, certainly based on the backline you’d give them every chance. I think it’ll be the forward pack and in particular the prop department that will hold them back. Looking at the squad numbers and having Akouala and Burke at 8 and 10 would worry me as a Salford fan. They’re certainly not as strong there as when they had Dudson and Mossop. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Salford have absolutely no chance of finishing in the top 6

A statement that is not factually correct, the only way of having no chance is by not taking part in the competition. 

• Like 3

Based on 1 - 17 squad numbers, without injuries, Salford would line up:

Brierley, Sio, Lafai, Watkins, Burgess, Croft, Sneyd, Akauola, Ackers, Burke, Wright, Greenwood Taylor (Subs: Addy, Vuniyayawa, Lannon, Livett)

They would then have Atkin, Ormondroyd, Wells, Williams, Johnson, Sarginson, Costello, Escare, Luckley, Borough and Cross in reserve.

Salford have very good depth in their backline, you could even make one from back-up players (Atkin, Escare, Cross / Costello, Sarginson, Williams) that isn't terrible. If Salford get some injuries in the pack, the depth isn't quite there.  I don't see a play off challenge, but nor do I see a relegation battle. That squad is far better than Toulouse.