Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

29 minutes ago, cookey said:

David Hughes would be delighted to 'sell' London, after the enormous amount of money he has put in to it. Unfortunately, no one wants to buy it, at any price. When he is no longer around, neither will be London. So get your criticism in now, you wont be able to in the future. It's staggering that so many people with neither knowledge or information (and certainly no money) just love to criticise others.

It's always interesting to me when people who don't support the Broncos tell people who've been going 20-30 years (and more in a handful of cases) what's what. There's one man, and one man alone, responsible for the terminal condition of that club. How anyone can defend a man who turned a 4,000 average crowd into 400 (and spent £20million in the process) is beyond me. 

• Like 5

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

19 minutes ago, The storm said:

3334 is not too bad as haven dont usially bring too many fans 

A good start for leigh but im sure Derek wanted more

He was on radio Manchester post match and was very pleased with the home support, rough estimate on the group of Marra's together a 100 or so.

First match up and bloody cold day I was surprised at that return after the season just gone, so there is hope for some increases as the season unfolds and gets better weather.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He was on radio Manchester post match and was very pleased with the home support, rough estimate on the group of Marra's together a 100 or so.

First match up and bloody cold day I was surprised at that return after the season just gone, so there is hope for some increases as the season unfolds and gets better weather.

Not changing the date of the fixture,twice might help,especially the away contingent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

I find it odd that fan knows who Wellington and Siti are? Guess something was done right there for her to know by appearance no?

When I entered the ground,there were four players (not playing) sat at the entrance helping with ticket sales.

Game started very shakey,Widness ran in 3 tries.But from that point it were try for try with missed conversations bloating the score line a little more.Highly competitive and very entertaining game after the 15minute mark.But unfortunately the game is 80min not 65mins.

Hopefully with the return of some quality players in these next few games,they'll get there.Overall a great day and promotion of rugby league I feel.

How was the merchandise that was on sale?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, crashmon said:

London Broncos has no future, unless there are wholesale changes from the top down. As somebody who has supported them for over 20 years, it hurts really hurts to see them as they are. But TBH there really is no point London Broncos continuing as a Part time team, there is no future like that  it will be just a slow drop off to oblivion.

The only way the Broncos can survive long term is in Superleague.  The squad they have would need pretty much need 90% of the players replacing to acheive that. DH does not have the money for that, regardless which stadium we play in.

I would bet that of the 2,182 > 50% of those did not pay full price for the ticket, and most home supporters probably paid £1. How many will come back when they have to pay £22 instead of the £1 offer. The squad is only going to be competitive about probably 5 or 6 of the lower teams, the likes of Thunder, Fax, Fev, Bradford, York, Leigh are not going to be close games, so that just leaves Sheffield, Dewsbury + cumbrian clubs left.  Will we see 2K+ for those games without £1 ticket gimmicks.

2 Part time teams in London is one too many, and I fear for the Skolars once League one starts this year

Concessions sales were strong at £5 a pint - so money is made even on freebies.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I didn;t look - as got their late, but will have a look at the next home game.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Concessions sales were strong at £5 a pint - so money is made even on freebies.

Will enough money be made from concessions to get a super league ready squad. Also are we keeping that money or does some of it go to pay off Wimbeldons stadium loans?

As for £22 I would need to be watching SuperLeage quality rugby from London to entice me back.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Unless you count beer I didn’t see anything.  I really think they could of done a one-off  T-shirt like Wigan did at the Den. A one-off off programme with an introduction to the rules,   a short biography of each player and a photo, a shortish history of the club, a preview of the World Cup and a list of the home fixtures for the rest of the season would have been very useful for new Wimbledon fans to take away and to have a look at when they got home.

As I said before the match it’s like we are expecting AFC Wimbledon to supply us with some fans. Wimbledon did their side of the bargain and it is a nice stadium but I am not sure what the Broncos did other than put a team out. Sadly I think the attendances will drop off markedly in the next few matches unless the same effort is made for every match for the rest of the season.

It was a good afternoon and it was nice to see old friends but where we go from here is dependent on what plans are put in place to build on yesterday’s match and attendance I think?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Not changing the date of the fixture,twice might help,especially the away contingent.

Clubs have to make a big effort to increase revenue now tgat central funding is reduced. 

So leigh must have took over 50 grand for that game 

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Will enough money be made from concessions to get a super league ready squad. Also are we keeping that money or does some of it go to pay off Wimbeldons stadium loans?

As for £22 I would need to be watching SuperLeage quality rugby from London to entice me back.

More than happy to pay that. 

I think there may need to be continued incentives for Wimbledon fans to show up, either reduced ticket prices or memberships, or perhaps some sort of 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deal (perhaps in July for the latter - for all, not just Dons fans).

Going forward, I'd like to see:

More input from the MC, who was good but underused - especially as he's some sort of pro at it. Even if it's just birthday announcements, it all adds to a sense of belonging.

Better use of the PA - more 'enlivening' music pre-match, try music etc.  Needs a bit more energy.

Rugby-themed half-time pitch entertainment like the crossbar challenge. No need before the game as most people were - and will be - in the bars/pub until at least 2.45.

The fanzone was underutilised - perfectly understandable in January but that'll need sorting for the warmer months (late spring/summer when there's no football/RU is key to the whole thing in my view). Would be criminal to waste it by not having live bands or a DJ in summer.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I’d be surprised if London Broncos made anything from food and drink sales. I imagine Wimbledon will take that as that’s typically the norm for rented stadia. 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I think there may need to be continued incentives for Wimbledon fans to show up, either reduced ticket prices or memberships, or perhaps some sort of 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deal (perhaps in July for the latter - for all, not just Dons fans).

Going forward, I'd like to see:

More of pre-match input from the MC, who was good but underused - especially as he's some sort of pro at it. Even if it's just birthday announcements, it all adds to a sense of belonging.

Better use of the PA - more 'enlivening' music pre-match, try music etc.  Needs a bit more energy.

Rugby-themed half-time pitch entertainment like the crossbar challenge. No need before the game as most people were - and will be - in the bars/pub until at least 2.45.

The fanzone was underutilised - perfectly understandable in January but that'll need sorting for the warmer months (late spring/summer when there's no football/RU is key to the whole thing in my view). Would be criminal to waste it by not having live bands or a DJ in summer.

This 🙂  Fully agree with this (even if I have disagreed with Man of Kent on other topics)

They used to do this at Brentford and in the early years at the Stoop, live bands in the bar, bouncy castle and other kid friendly activities in the fan zone, Buck and Dusty running round interacting with the Kids, cheerleaders (who remembers the harlequin hearts lol) etc. I don't know if the dons have a mascot, but I would have buck and dusty + dons mascot in attendance interacting with the Kids.

In the programs, they used to have a kids section, with a simple crossword, a spot the difference, info on one of the players + a small poster, and a section listing any kids birthdays, which would also be shouted out at half time by the announcer. 

This all stopped in the last days at the stoop and Barnet. They need to bring all this back, but this all costs money, and that is not something London have much of right now

Just now, Jughead said:

I’d be surprised if London Broncos made anything from food and drink sales. I imagine Wimbledon will take that as that’s typically the norm for rented stadia. 

Not so. The revenue is shared (don't ask me the figures though, it's understandably been kept confidential). 

7 minutes ago, crashmon said:

This 🙂  Fully agree with this (even if I have disagreed with Man of Kent on other topics)

They used to do this at Brentford and in the early years at the Stoop, live bands in the bar, bouncy castle and other kid friendly activities in the fan zone, Buck and Dusty running round interacting with the Kids, cheerleaders (who remembers the harlequin hearts lol) etc. I don't know if the dons have a mascot, but I would have buck and dusty + dons mascot in attendance interacting with the Kids.

In the programs, they used to have a kids section, with a simple crossword, a spot the difference, info on one of the players + a small poster, and a section listing any kids birthdays, which would also be shouted out at half time by the announcer. 

This all stopped in the last days at the stoop and Barnet. They need to bring all this back, but this all costs money, and that is not something London have much of right now

Not bothered about programmes - so last century. Instead, Broncos should at the very least produce an online matchday guide, as Wimbledon does: https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2022/january/matchday-guide-tickets-left-for-dons-versus-shrews/

As you can see from the Kids Zone info, there is ample scope for Buck and Dusty stuff.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, crashmon said:

The stuff that London used to do at Charlton and at Brentford to both kids and adults was pretty good from memory. In recent times when I’ve been to London, at the Stoop, Barnet and then Ealing, there was nothing. It was like very different clubs.

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Surprising as that’s not usually the way but fair play. 

Was the brewery next door open?

By the Horns? It's taken over the stadium pub (including selling its own craft ale), which was open and doing a brisk trade. 

Edited by Man of Kent