Jump to content

Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts


On 12/03/2022 at 13:43, GeordieSaint said:

Biggest club in SL… 

Can you pin that?


(Lose a few and there’ll be wall to wall tumbleweed again of course, but it’s humbling to be living in an era where everything Saints is just so much betterer…) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Hull KR have sold out the home match against Wire in 3 weeks already - some clever “bring a friend” marketing to members did its stuff, should be a great atmosphere 

 

96DA9224-6A25-4CF2-BB70-DB497AC17E7A.jpeg

Excellent, what's the full capacity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Hull KR have sold out the home match against Wire in 3 weeks already - some clever “bring a friend” marketing to members did its stuff, should be a great atmosphere 

 

96DA9224-6A25-4CF2-BB70-DB497AC17E7A.jpeg

Out of interest, are they providing any sort of facility for season ticket holders to return their ticket for that game if they are unable to attend and then the club can re-sell it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Excellent, what's the full capacity?

Just over 10,500 these days, now we’ve mothballed the south end for the Craven Streat food & drinks area.


…not that I’d have ever let my worst enemy buy one of the 1,500 south terrace tickets when we used it anyway, worst view in the league (unless it was a Hull FC match, and wind & rain was forecast 😂)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Out of interest, are they providing any sort of facility for season ticket holders to return their ticket for that game if they are unable to attend and then the club can re-sell it?

Don’t think so. Know they’ve held a few tickets back for anyone that wants to buy a season ticket in the meantime, so might be some last minutes ones released a day or so before the match I’d expect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Hull KR have sold out the home match against Wire in 3 weeks already - some clever “bring a friend” marketing to members did its stuff, should be a great atmosphere 

 

96DA9224-6A25-4CF2-BB70-DB497AC17E7A.jpeg

So they’ve given away a shed load of free tickets and not sold the game out at all

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So they’ve given away a shed load of free tickets and not sold the game out at all

Let me fill your glass. It’s obviously half empty.

  • Like 8

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So they’ve given away a shed load of free tickets and not sold the game out at all

Marketing Podcast, coming soon:

In this weeks first instalment, Sir Kev tells us he doesn’t understand how sampling works as a new customer acquisition strategy. Later in the episode he’ll explain how he’s confused about how member retention can be increased by value-add bundles including one “bring a friend for £1” special match per season.
 

Next week, join us again for Sir Kev’s investigation into how discretionary spend of £15 per head on food, drink and merchandise could create incremental revenue even when tickets are discounted. Watch as he scratches his head, before finally admitting “it’s all a bit complicated this stuff isn’t it, why don’t we just not do anything and hope for the best?”, before shrugging his shoulders and getting the last bus home 


 

 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

1800 at Barrow for cup game.  Just doing everything right there and look to be establishing themselves in Champ.  

 

Watched on the red button and that number looked creative from the tv

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Watched on the red button and that number looked creative from the tv

The TV coverage that only showed 3 sides of the ground ?

Barrow really must be doing well if they exaggerate the attendance and pay Workington their share of the gate that didn’t exist.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Marketing Podcast, coming soon:

In this weeks first instalment, Sir Kev tells us he doesn’t understand how sampling works as a new customer acquisition strategy. Later in the episode he’ll explain how he’s confused about how member retention can be increased by value-add bundles including one “bring a friend for £1” special match per season.
 

Next week, join us again for Sir Kev’s investigation into how discretionary spend of £15 per head on food, drink and merchandise could create incremental revenue even when tickets are discounted. Watch as he scratches his head, before finally admitting “it’s all a bit complicated this stuff isn’t it, why don’t we just not do anything and hope for the best?”, before shrugging his shoulders and getting the last bus home 


 

 

Bus ? Don't kid yersen - LIMOUSINE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Watched on the red button and that number looked creative from the tv

The bulk of the crowd was on the popular side behind the cameras. There actually looked to be many more than 1825 there, more like 2500

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do any other sports argue about crowds like RL fans? In a matter of posts we go from an 1825 crowd looking creative on TV to looking more like 2500.

Barrow have been on a upward trajectory in terms of their crowds and I simply don't think they have reason to lie either way. I'm more than happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt on these things and an attendance does not equate to income so the actual attendance figure is pretty meaningless anyhow. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just under 4,000 at the Salford match, i imagine they would’ve been hoping to reach 4,000 but the weather wouldn’t have helped so it was a decent effort.                  Did Wakey give out free tickets for school kids ?, I think they would have got a bigger gate only for the weather. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do any other sports argue about crowds like RL fans?

Nothing like so much but soccer does have the classic, short and brutal, chant that I've not heard replicated in RL of:

"S**t ground, no fans ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

Do any other sports argue about crowds like RL fans? In a matter of posts we go from an 1825 crowd looking creative on TV to looking more like 2500.

Barrow have been on a upward trajectory in terms of their crowds and I simply don't think they have reason to lie either way. I'm more than happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt on these things and an attendance does not equate to income so the actual attendance figure is pretty meaningless anyhow. 

In my experience football outside of the Premier League is even worse than RL for arguing about crowds. Man City, Arsenal etc get a lot of stick for claiming cup matches are a sell out when there's clearly thousands of empty seats though the tickets may have technically been "sold".

Edited by fevtom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fevtom said:

In my experience football outside of the Premier League is even worse than RL for arguing about crowds. Man City, Arsenal etc get a lot of stick for claiming cup matches are a sell out when there's clearly thousands of empty seats.

Most football clubs announced based on ticket sales, rather than turnstile clicks. It's probably more noticeable for cup games where fans are often compelled to buy tickets even if they don't attend. 

If anyone genuinely cares, they can put an FOI request into the local authority for actual attendance data (which clubs have to report for H&S reasons). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Most football clubs announced based on ticket sales, rather than turnstile clicks. It's probably more noticeable for cup games where fans are often compelled to buy tickets even if they don't attend. 

If anyone genuinely cares, they can put an FOI request into the local authority for actual attendance data (which clubs have to report for H&S reasons). 

I have absolutely nothing against including people that have paid but have chosen not to go. I think its a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Most football clubs announced based on ticket sales, rather than turnstile clicks. It's probably more noticeable for cup games where fans are often compelled to buy tickets even if they don't attend. 

If anyone genuinely cares, they can put an FOI request into the local authority for actual attendance data (which clubs have to report for H&S reasons). 

Yeah I edited my post right after but you caught me first!

I think the problem with a lot of these huge clubs is that so many tickets end up with people who dont want them either through corporate tickets or, like you say, bought by those who might not actually attend. I can't imagine it's as much of an issue in Rugby League except for maybe season ticket holders missing the odd rainy Thursday night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Josef K said:

Just under 4,000 at the Salford match, i imagine they would’ve been hoping to reach 4,000 but the weather wouldn’t have helped so it was a decent effort.                  Did Wakey give out free tickets for school kids ?, I think they would have got a bigger gate only for the weather. 

Are RL fans complete fair weather supporters or did I miss some tropical storm that hit us over the weekend 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Are RL fans complete fair weather supporters or did I miss some tropical storm that hit us over the weekend 

Not all but some, it also depends on the stadium. Modern grounds have covered areas all around the stadia. Sadly Wakey haven’t got the best facilities as of yet which would put me off from attending a match if the weather was bad. But they’re soon to have all that changed in the near future. I wouldn’t bother going too Leeds if i knew the weather was going to be bad, standing in the uncovered west terrace in the pouring rain is something i don’t want to do anymore. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a slightly related note, whilst I didn't go to the game, the timing of my son's swimming lesson meant that I managed to sample the Huddersfield Giants street food festival/fanzone at the weekend and, well, it was a little underwhelming. 

One burger van that couldn't serve chips because it had run out of electricity, one sweet stall and two blokes pumping pints of Strongbow - was this just a bad day, or is it not all that the promo videos on social media crack it up to be? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fevtom said:

Yeah I edited my post right after but you caught me first!

I think the problem with a lot of these huge clubs is that so many tickets end up with people who dont want them either through corporate tickets or, like you say, bought by those who might not actually attend. I can't imagine it's as much of an issue in Rugby League except for maybe season ticket holders missing the odd rainy Thursday night.

I know for cup games it has sometimes been a factor because I think some clubs (I'm sure Man Utd is/was one) have either a compulsory or opt-in "auto cup" policy that automatically charges you for a cup ticket if the team is drawn at home. I'm sure it's great to sign-up for Champions League semis or a home FA Cup quarter final, but less appealing for those third-round Carabao cup games against Burton and Crewe. 

Arsenal also got a lot of stick for the attendances they quotes during the height of the 'Wenger out' movement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...