Latest on development of BV Wakefield

48 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Will this money have to be repaid and if so at what interest rate

No this sum is due to the change in the 106 for Newmarket. The original plan was to build a community facility at Newmarket but with cloak and dagger tactics by the developer an agreement was made for th developer to provide this sum to go towards the upgrading of BV far less than the original plans but with the 2 million from the council and the 1.2 million committed by the club the 12 million package is now ready to start upgrading around 50% of the ground.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Notes that's a question i am in interested in 

Who will sit in the stand? We don't want another Headingly North stand situation. Can it be incentivized ? Surely as a viewing point to watch a rugby game it will be better facing sideline than shovelled in at that end?

BV is a strange one. People only move when it's forced upon them. The east stand has never been popular.

I used to stand in the south in the 70s, before it was demolished in 1978 (don't ask). Then I went to standing on the west near the Western seating before it was demolished post Bradford fire. Then  when the previous owner built a roof in the North and introduced more segregation, he made the North terrace the home stand (previously mainly away fans).

The new east stand will be quite different to the current one, which has terracing in front. It will be modern with access to modern facilities and restaurant etc. It will be the only seating in the whole stadium which will offer something never previously available at BV and hence open up a new market. (Although there was a bar with the changing rooms under the old West stand.). The current East stand has no access to anything and is mainly populated by older people who can no longer stand for 2 hours.

Personally, I won't be using the new stand as I prefer terracing, but I am not the target audience. If the new stand is not substantially full (only 2500) then the club has failed badly. Away seated fans will have to be accomodated there too.

The bigger problem is the next 12 months (only 4 home games this season, but potentially 7 or 8 next season). The capacity will be reduced further and the only seating will be 6 uncovered rows in front of the benidorm flats.

Crowds have not yet recovered from covid (poor form) and season tickets will be a hard sell for next year. More likely a significant drop in income before the new facilities come on line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Will this money have to be repaid and if so at what interest rate

The purchase of the freehold from the previous owner in 2019 was facilitated by a council loan (£3.1M?), which has to be paid back. I'm not sure of the rate but council's can borrow for capital projects at very low rates.

The £12M for the new build is made up from the £8.8M donation from the previous developer, a £2M grant from the council, in lieu of provision of community facilities (a sum also made available to Cas and Fev) and the remainder from the club. None of this needs to be paid back and AFAIK the stadium will be owned by the club rather than a community trust, which was the deal with the proposed Newmarket stadium. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The purchase of the freehold from the previous owner in 2019 was facilitated by a council loan (£3.1M?), which has to be paid back. I'm not sure of the rate but council's can borrow for capital projects at very low rates.

The £12M for the new build is made up from the £8.8M donation from the previous developer, a £2M grant from the council, in lieu of provision of community facilities (a sum also made available to Cas and Fev) and the remainder from the club. None of this needs to be paid back and AFAIK the stadium will be owned by the club rather than a community trust, which was the deal with the proposed Newmarket stadium. 

I've said it before but I do think its a preferable outcome for Wakefield the way it has all worked out.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It great news for Wakefield and the fans. My only question now is, given the previous activities of Newmarket, how likely is it that they will actually pay the £8+ million?

The opening link confirms £8.8m has been released by the council. Under the deal, the developer had to submit their contribution to the scheme to an account which the council control, the permission to build the units they want where the stadium at Newmarket was supposed to be is subject to this action. 

They have always been the fly in the ointment and although we seem closer than ever we're all very much in the believe it when see/sat in it.

The point about its use is irrelevant.  The facilities are needed to meet the 21st century expectation of a stadium and also is a requirement for SL membership without being financially impacted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The bigger problem is the next 12 months (only 4 home games this season, but potentially 7 or 8 next season). The capacity will be reduced further and the only seating will be 6 uncovered rows in front of the benidorm flats.

Crowds have not yet recovered from covid (poor form) and season tickets will be a hard sell for next year. More likely a significant drop in income before the new facilities come on line.

Is a temporary move to (presumably) Dewsbury on the agenda? I know the club have used this threat as a bit of brinkmanship in their disputes with various land owners, but is it a realistic option here? 

As you say, the seating area doesn't seem popular (although I believe it's also the press area) so it's not out of the question to continue playing in the way that Leeds did during Headingley's rebuild, but has a temporary move been suggested. 

The opening link confirms £8.8m has been released by the council. Under the deal, the developer had to submit their contribution to the scheme to an account which the council control, the permission to build the units they want where the stadium at Newmarket was supposed to be is subject to this action. 

Excellent . So it really IS full steam ahead.👍

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Is a temporary move to (presumably) Dewsbury on the agenda? I know the club have used this threat as a bit of brinkmanship in their disputes with various land owners, but is it a realistic option here? 

As you say, the seating area doesn't seem popular (although I believe it's also the press area) so it's not out of the question to continue playing in the way that Leeds did during Headingley's rebuild, but has a temporary move been suggested. 

No. They seem to have decided to stay at BV throughout the work. I think it's just for money-saving. They must have done the calculations and staying put is the cheaper option.

Not sure where the press will go... probably in the flats?

Far from ideal, but light at the end of the tunnel.

P.S. maybe they could request more away fixtures in the first half of next season?

Edited by Wholly Trinity

• 3 weeks later...

The work began on dismantling the East Stand yesterday the work is underway to remove the seating and then the roof as I understand it before the bulldozers move in. Good times off the pitch now. After a 7000 odd crowd on Sunday the club need to consolidate on the pitch and the future looks good.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

The work began on dismantling the East Stand yesterday the work is underway to remove the seating and then the roof as I understand it before the bulldozers move in. Good times off the pitch now. After a 7000 odd crowd on Sunday the club need to consolidate on the pitch and the future looks good.

Good luck mate. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I guess 7000 shows the potential, yes there were free tickets etc but it does show that a market is there to be attracted. Would be just Wakey´s luck that the time they have a redevelopement they could be in the Championship. 

Trinity always escape they have had plenty of practice.They are masters at it.

29 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

From next year the three years of rigging it in their favour are done. Leigh will not be making up the numbers, that´s if Wakey survive. Think Toulouse can and will win Sat to start terrifying Wakey for real this time. 

Fair enough on your opinion with Toulouse but Trinity have earned the right to remain in the super league over the years. Strong statement to say that this was rigged. 

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trojan Horse said:

Fair enough on your opinion with Toulouse but Trinity have earned the right to remain in the super league over the years. Strong statement to say that this was rigged. 

I think they're referring to Leigh and Toronto's central funding , and Toulouse's and Toronto's requirement to play for travel 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

They had licensing when they didn´t meet requirements. Recently, Toronto went bust so that´s one year free. Last year Leigh only recieved half funding finding out in December, this year Toulouse had to shell out half a million quid for travel. 

That´s three seasons of artificially being rigged in favour of them. 

How was it in favour of Wakefield, over any other club in SL?

Do tell us how many times Wakefield have finished bottom, only to be saved in some way.

Then tell us how many times they have finished next to bottom.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

They had licensing when they didn´t meet requirements. Recently, Toronto went bust so that´s one year free. Last year Leigh only recieved half funding finding out in December, this year Toulouse had to shell out half a million quid for travel. 

That´s three seasons of artificially being rigged in favour of them. 

Sorry but they did. There facilities may not have been the best and there may have been some saving Grace but as I said their are a lot of criteria and we must have scored sufficient.

the funding I don’t agree with BUT this is a rfl/SL decision. Wakefield trinity should not be held accountable for this. We competed and we achieved the required points. 

Trinity are trying to break the cycle within their means. We should be hoping they can do so and contribute to a strong superleague in the near future. Not rubbishing them. Banter happens ofc.

• Like 1

2021 - Finished 10th, Salford in 11th

2020 - Finished 10th, Hull KR 11th

So in those two 'rigged' years protecting us from relegation it turns out there were teams finishing below us anyway. 

Taking nothing away from Toulouse this year. I have them finishing above us this season.

Anyhow, great to see things starting, I will watch with great interest as the stand progresses, whichever division we're playing in.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS
  • Like 2

On 17/06/2022 at 15:57, ShropshireBull said:

Which in turn should attract people tired of watching wakey come 10th-11th year on year.  

Shall I help you?

Wakey have never finished bottom.

They have finished next to bottom three times - beating Cas on the final day of the season, and beating Cas and Bulls in Million Pound games.

Wakefield actually stand 9th on the all-time SL table, despite having 3 seasons less than the clubs above them.

Have they been "good enough"? Well the tables say yes, but believe me we long for better.

• Like 3

people will never go to a rugby league match to park their azz on the latest fold down plastic chair for no reason  - they will go though to see a winning exiting team out on the field even if they have to stand in a blizzard with no socks on 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

37 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

So what,...

So you were talking ###### all along and when your lies are pointed out, you change the narrative.

Wakey haven't been the worst team in SL and have managed not to go bust 3 times in 5 years.

Unlike your club.

1 hour ago, dboy said:

Shall I help you?

Wakey have never finished bottom.

They have finished next to bottom three times - beating Cas on the final day of the season, and beating Cas and Bulls in Million Pound games.

Wakefield actually stand 9th on the all-time SL table, despite having 3 seasons less than the clubs above them.

Have they been "good enough"? Well the tables say yes, but believe me we long for better.

He said 10th-11th, not bottom tbf.