Latest on development of BV Wakefield

5 hours ago, dboy said:

the construction team are on site - what could possibly go wrong now??

George & Mildred (1976)

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Short answer:

tarting it up a bit

More detail:

resurfacing the concrete and refixing the barriers. (Increasing capacity)

Levelling to concourse the section nearest Doncaster Rd turnstiles 

Adding food/drink facilities at the back

New turnstiles 

Permanent big screen (same location)

Not sure what they're doing with the toilets

Roof remaining as is.

The capacity against Wigan was 1500? Which seemed sparse. An increased capacity there next season will be needed while the east stand is built.

Thats great to hear. The long suffering fans deserve the improvements. 

Sadly my own club hasnt even acknowledged that fact let alone put any plans inplace for any improvements.

Great to see Wakey finally moving things forward 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dboy said:

So you agree that the preposition that Wakey have been dodging relegation all these years is incorrect?

I was purely looking at the statistics that you wanted to use and showing that you were looking at them in a rose tinted way. I have stated that I dont think its fair to say that Wakey have had it rigged to stay up and that the RFL have, more correctly, been rigging it so that the promoted team dont stay up (and almost without shame in the last few years). 

If you really want me to answer your question I would say that looking at the statistics you have indeed been dodging relegation all these years and that you are fortunate that it is so rigged against the promoted team. You have the 2nd to worst average points total of any team that has been in the division for 15 or more seasons and the 3rd worst of any team that has been in the division 10 or more seasons. 

However, you have stayed up, by hook or by crook and hopefully with a developed ground, if you keep staying up, you may be able to push on and develop that.. the first task, after all, is to stay up. 

25 minutes ago, RP London said:

I was purely looking at the statistics that you wanted to use and showing that you were looking at them in a rose tinted way. I have stated that I dont think its fair to say that Wakey have had it rigged to stay up and that the RFL have, more correctly, been rigging it so that the promoted team dont stay up (and almost without shame in the last few years). 

If you really want me to answer your question I would say that looking at the statistics you have indeed been dodging relegation all these years and that you are fortunate that it is so rigged against the promoted team. You have the 2nd to worst average points total of any team that has been in the division for 15 or more seasons and the 3rd worst of any team that has been in the division 10 or more seasons. 

However, you have stayed up, by hook or by crook and hopefully with a developed ground, if you keep staying up, you may be able to push on and develop that.. the first task, after all, is to stay up. 

Yep, the system has not been rigged to stay up for Wakefield. They have made the kind of signings needed to keep them away from the relegation place(s) over 20 years.

The system is broken, however, that it has not put sufficient, pressure, deadlines and consequences for clubs who are doing that but not running like an elite club. That is the job of the governance and SL is worse as a consequence. 

Good on Wakefield, they have done nothing wrong in the system. The new facilities will hopefully be a game changer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RP London said:

That's already been shown to be utter bunkum - an urban myth - a lie!

In 22 seasons Wfd have NEVER finished bottom.

They have finished next to bottom 3 times - you may say that's "dodging relegation".

That means that for 19 seasons, SOMEONE ELSE has been dodging relegation.

3/22 close shaves does not equal "dodging relegation all these years".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dboy said:

That's already been shown to be utter bunkum - an urban myth - a lie!

In 22 seasons Wfd have NEVER finished bottom.

They have finished next to bottom 3 times - you may say that's "dodging relegation".

That means that for 19 seasons, SOMEONE ELSE has been dodging relegation.

3/22 close shaves does not equal "dodging relegation all these years".

Ok, you’ve not been “dodging relegation” statistically, I think how I’d put it though is “happy to do the absolute bare minimum on AND off the pitch to just about stay in Super League”.  Happy to help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

“happy to do the absolute bare minimum on AND off the pitch to just about stay in Super League”. 

Is that the 2022 motto of Warrington Wolves?

If anybody has a spare 10-20 minutes the full details (very detailed) plans and schematics for the full 13 million development is in this link.

https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QKB7D2QQJOS00

I had a good read and I didn’t realise so much was happening. 

In brief:

- Brand new 2500+ seating east stand - inclusive of large conference faculty and kitchen on top floor. Two concourses under the stand with refreshment bars in each. Various meeting rooms for staff/players/officials etc as you’d expect. It’s not just a basic stand and there’s a lot inside it.

- Fully fit for purpose car park on entrance to the east stand so the surrounding area will look much better also.

- The southeast corner building is being refurbished to contain a 2 floor gymnasium and a couple of classrooms. Also locker facilities etc. there will also be a cafe. I believe that all these will be open to the community as well as trinity. The roof of this building has been replaced already.

- The northstand will see a resurfacing on a large section of the stand. New barriers will be installed on the top half and I suspect the lower ones will get a refurb/touch up. 

- new LED floodlights - completed a couple months back.

- New 4G pitch so can be used all year round for not just trinity but local teams.

- New scoreboard. 

i may have missed bits but overall it’s going to be a radical change in facilities. i think there are plans for phase 2 (West stand). But I suspect that this will be a few years off when the new facilities are generating excess income to re-invest in further improvement. 

As has been said. Trinity pretty much 3 years ago had no assets as they didn’t own the ground or land. They now own the land (which is another 3million!) and have some sizeable improvements imminent. It won’t be perfect but Wakefield trinity will have some sizeable assets and a more fit for purpose stadium very soon. 

They say money attracts money. Potential investors could possibly come out of the shadows once they see some potential. We will have to see.

Trinity all in all have (with assistance in areas) made improvement/investment to the tune of 16 million almost. It’s been a long time coming and I’ll bet that Carter and Mynards are glad that there is finally some progress after what must have been years of hard work and constant meetings. 

it might not propel trinity to be one of the big boys but it will certainly I hope level the playing field and put us on the up on and off the field.

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Ok, you’ve not been “dodging relegation” statistically, I think how I’d put it though is “happy to do the absolute bare minimum on AND off the pitch to just about stay in Super League”.  Happy to help.

I very much doubt they've been " happy to do the absolute bare minimum " , they've done the best they can with the money and facilities at their disposal 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jughead said:

spacer.png

Is this the artists impression of what the final product will look like? If so, it looks pretty good. Fingers crossed for more of the same at Wakefield. 

I believe that’s the one yes. There’s a few more too.

image.jpeg.9da18f397b8a91eba62c532718db2709.jpeg

I think there’s also a small fanzone area proposed outside the east stand too.

I have always stood up in the north stand but I can’t wait to try the new east stand out.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I very much doubt they've been " happy to do the absolute bare minimum " , they've done the best they can with the money and facilities at their disposal 

Indeed.

They have spent most of the last 40 years expecting to imminently leave the crumbling belle vue for a fresh start in pastures new.

It is only very recently (2019) that the current management have decided enough is enough and taken the future of the club into their own hands. This is not a cheap, quick or simple route.

They have taken a difficult long-term view to the club's development. Focusing on youth and community development sometimes at the expense of first team strength.

The actual structure of the club is comparable to any SL club. There have been no quick fixes. The missing piece is suitable, fit-for-purpose facilities. 

That they have been 'happy' to scrape through and survive whilst taking the sky shilling is just laughable. (I wonder who pocketed all that spare cash?).

Club RL in the professional era has generally relied on sugardaddy 'investment' to survive and prosper. Trinity, since the 60s, has never been attractive to such investors (although a few have promised and failed to materialise).

It's true that survival has been a factor, but the overall aim has always been to establish a sustainable top-flight club in the City of Wakefield within the budget available. They were quick to realise that incumbency is a huge factor, but the clock was always ticking. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its certainly a positive step. Hopefully it helps the community game in Wakefield as it is particularly struggling atm imo.

Can you be more specific?

I haven't noticed any specific difficulties beyond those affecting the whole of the sport. i.e. the move to summer for open-age teams and competition with the x-box generation. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Can you be more specific?

I haven't noticed any specific difficulties beyond those affecting the whole of the sport. i.e. the move to summer for open-age teams and competition with the x-box generation. 

Given the lack of any other professional competition and the historical strength of the game in the area, mine and my brother's experience of Junior Rugby at Eastmoor, Stanley and Crigglestone has been disappointing, particularly the lack of Trin involvement and co-ordination. In comparison with what we have collectively experienced in Leeds at clubs all over the city (Kippax, Milford, East Leeds, West Leeds, Leeds Irish, Oulton). 

I believe Westgate Common have a senior team now playing in the lower mens leagues, which is a positive.

Obviously there is a greater malaise in the sport as you say too, but hopefully these new facilities allow Trin to engage much more proactively with the city around it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Given the lack of any other professional competition and the historical strength of the game in the area, mine and my brother's experience of Junior Rugby at Eastmoor, Stanley and Crigglestone has been disappointing, particularly the lack of Trin involvement and co-ordination. In comparison with what we have collectively experienced in Leeds at clubs all over the city (Kippax, Milford, East Leeds, West Leeds, Leeds Irish, Oulton). 

I believe Westgate Common have a senior team now playing in the lower mens leagues, which is a positive.

Obviously there is a greater malaise in the sport as you say too, but hopefully these new facilities allow Trin to engage much more proactively with the city around it.

Perhaps you should look at Wakefield Trinity Community Foundation on Facebook. There are numerous on going initiatives where trinity are involved in education, classes, training, local teams and the community. For a club with our resources it’s reasonably good imo. They are currently running NCS workshops and have been taking children hiking etc. it’s some good work.

i also believe David Fifita has been spending a lot of his free time training open age Crigglestone all blacks this past few months. Crowther attending a young players training session.

I’m sure that as the facilities improve so will the Foundation expand and further benefit the local and wider community.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

As ever with Trinity, money is always tight, but the community foundation do a lot of work promoting grassroots involvement. The focus seems to be on the pdrl, ldrl, scholarship and women's teams, but there are currently 15 ambassador clubs and the recent fixture v Wigan was specifically used to promote community involvement. 

https://wakefieldtrinityfoundation.co.uk/an-improved-ambassador-club-programme-in-2022/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Would be cruel if the year it is built they have no chance to exploit it but in many ways important because it gives they a future and platform to come back, unlike Bulls for example.

Serves them right. They along with cas haven’t met ground criteria since the sl concept

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 08/07/2022 at 08:41, Trojan Horse said:

I believe that’s the one yes. There’s a few more too.

image.jpeg.9da18f397b8a91eba62c532718db2709.jpeg

I think there’s also a small fanzone area proposed outside the east stand too.

I have always stood up in the north stand but I can’t wait to try the new east stand out.

Is that part in the middle the only hospitality boxes in the whole redevelopment? They don't particularly look like hospitality boxes though.

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Indeed over 20 years and both have come up with various excuses as to why they haven't done much.

Mostly revolving around how unbelievably difficult it is to get anything like this done in the UK. Then double it if your local council is almost wilfully obstructive. 

Leeds, St Helens and Warrington only got where they are after years of working on it and that was with fully compliant local authorities.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Is that part in the middle the only hospitality boxes in the whole redevelopment? They don't particularly look like hospitality boxes though.

Believe so, I think its supposed to be a hospitality suite with seats in the main stand rather than boxes per se

• Thanks 1