NRL and International Footy

He’s had that opinion for at least the past few years and it seems that annually it comes back around again and fills some column inches. 

The IRL were painted to be pretty amateurish by Troy Grant recently by him saying that the accounts were done on Excel, so it probably adds some fuel to the fire. 

It’s all self-interest, as everything is within the sport. 

Saw this last night. NRL running the game - No. People with the same level of competency running the game - yes please.

• Like 4

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The insularity of national governing bodies is the reason why it is important to have a strong independent International Board. These governing bodies should have a seat at the table, absolutely, but it should not be left to the Aussies to grow the game in PNG or Fiji, just as it shouldn't be left to the RFL to grow the game in France or Canada.

There should be a healthy level of tension that balances the international games' interests.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The insularity of national governing bodies is the reason why it is important to have a strong independent International Board. These governing bodies should have a seat at the table, absolutely, but it should not be left to the Aussies to grow the game in PNG or Fiji, just as it shouldn't be left to the RFL to grow the game in France or Canada.

There should be a healthy level of tension that balances the international games' interests.

The NRL that can't even grow the game in South Australia should be in charge of the strategic development of RL in Tonga makes as much sense as believing that the RFL that can't even grow the game in Derbyshire should be in charge of the strategic development of the game in Ireland.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

There isn't an issue in the world that Gus doesn't have the answer to.

They should scrap the United Nations and all international organisations , then just have Gus sitting cross legged in the middle of a big room with a queue of people who’ve come from all over the world to get the answers to all problems from the The Oracle of Gus

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They should scrap the United Nations and all international organisations , then just have Gus sitting cross legged in the middle of a big room with a queue of people who’ve come from all over the world to get the answers to all problems from the The Oracle of Gus

With Pincess Leia in a golden bikini at his feet.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

With Pincess Leia in a golden bikini at his feet.

Oooh yeh , I’m in that queue wih lots of questions that may take many hours to answer . None of which I’m listening to 

I think its faily obvious that if the NRL were running international RL there wouldn't be a WC this year...or probably any year... they were all delighted they cancelled last years WC so their clubs could play a few friendlys.

• Like 2

What has Gus actually said wrong, he said those that qualify for origin should be allowed to play origin,  he then said as long as we have these very flexible international qualification rules of going back two generations if those player's Australian born then elect to play for their heritage country and they feel that pull deep in their chest then why should they not be allowed to do so. 

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 3

How beholden on the NRL are we for post season tours Vs the Island nations?

E.g. if we approach the Tongan RL and said we'll pay X amount for a 2 game test series here....how likely is it they can take the offer? 

Would a 2 test series against Tonga sell out say Headingly and Wigan and be worth it?( Or sell enough to be worth it)

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Its almost a jingoistic response to Australia running that part of the game. Is it ideal, probably not. As alluded to earlier by multiple folk, the ideal would be a decent International RL body. How do we get there though as the International game is a joke. It's a scandal to be fair.

So, would it be such a bad thing if they took over and we had some sort of calendar in play? I'm at the precipice of just giving in entirely.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

48 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What has Gus actually said wrong, he said those that qualify for origin should be allowed to play origin,  he then said as long as we have these very flexible international qualification rules of going back two generations if those player's Australian born then elect to play for their heritage country and they feel that pull deep in their chest then why should they not be allowed to do so. 

He said the NRL should run international RL.....

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

So, would it be such a bad thing if they took over and we had some sort of calendar in play?

The first part of that doesn't lead to the second.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Other than the WC, is there a calendar in play now?

The ERL seems to have a reasonably consistent structure for lower ranking countries running year to year.

Beyond that: not even the internationals that the NRL coordinates have a calendar in place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The ERL seems to have a reasonably consistent structure for lower ranking countries running year to year.

Beyond that: not even the internationals that the NRL coordinates have a calendar in place.

I was thinking about the lower ranking countries, they do well. 

I genuinely think the sport is on a cusp of something in the Northern Hemisphere. Either sort out a myriad of issues, the International calendar for England, Scotland, Wales, France, Ireland etc being 1 part of it... or suffer a long a slow further decline into absolute amateurism.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Where is the head of the governing body in the UK standing up for the game here? Ever?

You know, Ralph I think he is called 😕

Weak leaders create weak organisations. They become easy pray for bigger beasts to leech what they need and spit out what they don't want.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I was thinking about the lower ranking countries, they do well. 

I genuinely think the sport is on a cusp of something in the Northern Hemisphere. Either sort out a myriad of issues, the International calendar for England, Scotland, Wales, France, Ireland etc being 1 part of it... or suffer a long a slow further decline into absolute amateurism.

I've asked before....if we did say a tri series with France and the strongest other nation each year (Ireland I'd say at moment).... Would it be attended/supported?....I'd like to think it would and I know id attend but not sure it would end up being a squib 

• Like 1