Hot weather.

This  weekend,temperatures in the UK are predicted to be either record breaking,or very close to,Some media reports have suggested close to 40 degrees Celsius.

What do others think of having to play rugby in extreme heat?

Last weekend,watching Magic Weekend on telly and attending the game at Hunslet,I certainly felt for the players.Although plenty of drinks were taken,I do not recall any specific drinks breaks.

My answer would be for a later kick off,possibly 6pm when very hot weather is around. This may create a few logistical problems,but surely player and officials' welfare comes first.

Also,whilst we are rightly taking action on reducing strikes to the head,are we adequately protecting players from possible skin cancer? This may seem remote,but who knows how an increasingly litigious future may look.

Thoughts?

Edited by JF1

30 minutes ago, JF1 said:

This  weekend,temperatures in the UK are predicted to be either record breaking,or very close to,Some media reports have suggested close to 40 degrees Celsius.

What do others think of having to play rugby in extreme heat?

Last weekend,watching Magic Weekend on telly and attending the game at Hunslet,I certainly felt for the players.Although plenty of drinks were taken,I do not recall any specific drinks breaks.

My answer would be for a later kick off,possibly 6pm when very hot weather is around. This may create a few logistical problems,but surely player and officials' welfare comes first.

Also,whilst we are rightly taking action on reducing strikes to the head,are we adequately protecting players from possible skin cancer? This may seem remote,but who knows how an increasingly litigious future may look.

Thoughts?

Makes sense to have a 5 minute water break in the middle of each half.  Don't think it's realistic to change kick off times at such short notice.

As for protection from skin cancer, they're autonomous adult humans. I'm sure they can take care of putting a bit of Ambre Solaire on if they feel the need.

• Like 5

Its not realistic to change times etc. Lets face it this is the UK, I'm not sure if extreme measures are needed for very rare occurrences. Much hotter countries cope fine with these things on a more regular basis, as do events like the Olympics, World Cups etc. As David said yes we can add in water breaks etc if needed but I'm not sure if there is any need to make sweeping changes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Damien said:

Much hotter countries cope fine with these things on a more regular basis

Yes - by not doing silly things in the heat of the day.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes - by not doing silly things in the heat of the day.

Its kind of easier to do that when its predictably hot for months at a time. Not so when we get a few random days at any point over a 6 month period. This thread is real storm in a teacup stuff.

• Like 3

The trainer that runs on should have a tray with drinks on and run around offering it to players , so play doesn’t then have to stop . They have a bottle and flannel now so it’s not that much difference

27 minutes ago, M j M said:

Expected to be a mere 36C at 8pm in Toulouse on Saturday.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

The trainer that runs on should have a tray with drinks on and run around offering it to players , so play doesn’t then have to stop . They have a bottle and flannel now so it’s not that much difference

Some San Miguel and a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic? 

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

chuckle.... how giving out those ice cold flannels you get when on holiday sitting around the pool.

I'd prefer an ice cold glass bottle of coca cola from the tray... and me missus says with the bloke's taking off the shirts as in the coca-cola advert 

mind you... missus put out the washing this morning (yes I helped too so hold off on the comments....). Having read all the media we of course thought no problems going out...

Yep, well it started raining and yep the washing had to back in the wash...

Hard to believe but their we are... I always tell the missus to ignore what the media say and look up at the sky and go by that...