Matt Dufty granted immediate release

Maybe. Although last week Warrington said that all mid-season changes were complete and we were pressing forward with the squad as it is.

Not convinced over Dufty to be honest. Sure, he could turn out to be a SL gem like Field, but he’ll be on a hell of a lot more money and would need to set the league on fire.

Warrington’s recent history on value-for-money NRL acquisitions isn’t great… Austin, Widdop, Roberts etc. Sandow was the closest but he brought a lot of baggage that meant he only lasted a season.

• Like 2

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

22 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Not convinced over Dufty to be honest. Sure, he could turn out to be a SL gem like Field, but he’ll be on a hell of a lot more money and would need to set the league on fire.

For a team that's been consistently shipping in 30+ points this year like Wire, signing the worst defensive FB in the NRL isn't exactly a great move !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

50 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

For a team that's been consistently shipping in 30+ points this year like Wire, signing the worst defensive FB in the NRL isn't exactly a great move !!! 

I agree, but I don’t think we’d be playing him at full back. Powell has said Thewlis is our future full back with Ratchford as a half back next year. That’s why I’d be surprised by Dufty signing. Having said that, Ratchford is getting on and I’m sure he accepts that his utility value is why Warrington have retained him, so will just be happy to help out in whatever position he’s asked to play.

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

6 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

I agree, but I don’t think we’d be playing him at full back. Powell has said Thewlis is our future full back with Ratchford as a half back next year. That’s why I’d be surprised by Dufty signing. Having said that, Ratchford is getting on and I’m sure he accepts that his utility value is why Warrington have retained him, so will just be happy to help out in whatever position he’s asked to play.

Prop it is then!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Who else could it reasonably be, it it isn't Wire? Leeds, Hudds if they're losing Pryce? 

It’s looking like Wire at this point, but I can also see him ending up at Leeds.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Oh I agree, most likely Wire - Leeds and Hudds were just the only other 2 clubs I could think of who have the money and potentially FB issues next season. 

Do you think he might be going to Hull?

48 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

they literally quote him confirming it.

Was the quote “Bwahahaha… I want to take the p*** on the pitch, and sleep on piles of cash until the end of my career” ?

If so, that’ll be Warrington he’s headed to for sure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Oh I agree, most likely Wire - Leeds and Hudds were just the only other 2 clubs I could think of who have the money and potentially FB issues next season. 

he will be playing in the halves wherever he goes not FB

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/you-love-me-or-hate-me-dogs-give-polarising-dufty-early-release-20220721-p5b3m5.html

Definitely Warrington then. 

At least he sounds a bit more motivated than the usual past-it NRL stars. 

Edited by Desert Skipper

Dufty will be occasionally great, with games were it appears he can do anything - line breaks, tries, try assists, you name it - and more often comically bad with Keystone Kop type defending, loads of errors and a complete lack of involvement.

He is talented but he was also let go by the Dragons and now the Bulldogs.  There is a reason why.

Here is an example of the defending you will get to see.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Think he’ll go well over here, on the whole. Will go well in attack, be a bit suspect at times in defence but that will probably be overlooked because he scores tries and sets them up. 

I agree , his deficiencies are still there but SL is not the NRL so what he has will be a big asset here and outweigh the weaknesses . I see little difference with French or Field . The potential attributes with the ball are what coaches are buying for the style here 

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Think he’ll go well over here, on the whole. Will go well in attack, be a bit suspect at times in defence but that will probably be overlooked because he scores tries and sets them up. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I agree , his deficiencies are still there but SL is not the NRL so what he has will be a big asset here and outweigh the weaknesses . I see little difference with French or Field . The potential attributes with the ball are what coaches are buying for the style here 

Agreed. French was always poor in defence at FB and noone references Jake Connor's woeful defence when they talk about him...........it's all about what he brings in attack. The game over here just has far less focus on defence.

Dufty is a classic rock and diamonds player but will be entertaining and he'll no doubt pick up plenty of MOM or should I say POM as they're now called, now we're all non binary gender neutrals

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

noone references Jake Connor's woeful defence

I seem to remember someone once mentioning it.

So I just did a search on here for 'Connor AND defence'.

It returned 5,852 results. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris