Challenge Cup Final 2023 - Four Games

The Women's Challenge Cup Final should be its own stand alone game.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

And back to August. Whatever happened to the RFL moving this to earlier in the calendar to June/July? There were good reasons and logic given for that yet it seems to have been abandoned. 4 games is crazy too. The RFL just repeats the same mistakes again and again.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Nah. The girls love being curtain raisers for the men, don't you, love.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not going to comment too much without many details. I’m interested to see how they incorporate four games into one day with timings because that sounds like a very long day for anyone who wanted to watch more than two games. 

I’d rather have both the mens and womens cup finals together rather than the women’s being a sideshow to the semi double header or instead of the 1895 bolt on but ultimately it deserves its own venue and own day.

Does the cup final fall under IMG’s jurisdiction? If it does, seeing large swathes of empty seats at Tottenham after poor crowds at Wembley and thinking that the way to get people interested wasn’t two games, or three but FOUR is the first black mark against their name. 

It's absolutely ludicrous unless pass-outs are allowed. I would hate to be stuck in there for ten hours, especially on the south facing areas where you basically fry if it's a hot day.

It doesn't bear thinking about.

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nah. The girls love being curtain raisers for the men, don't you, love.

I suspect that, if offered a choice between playing at a mostly empty Wembley, or a less empty ground in the north, the elite women players would choose Wembley. Am I right in thinking this would be the first women's game there?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JonM said:

I suspect that, if offered a choice between playing at a mostly empty Wembley, or a less empty ground in the north, the elite women players would choose Wembley. Am I right in thinking this would be the first women's game there?

Faye Gaskin has tweeted “dreams come true”, which is fair enough. Regardless of sex, most of us probably dreamt of playing at Wembley as a kid and it seems she was no different so I’m pleased that they get the opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

They may or may not. I have no idea.

My only comparison is with other sports where, unless they're on the payroll and having to parrot a line, when given the choice, the players prefer stand alone matches.

Of course, that does require those standalone matches to be organised with respect and competence, so that could be an issue.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Just as we got the final date back earlier in the season to avoid being near the grand final, we revert back to the original later date. How does this make sense? Back no doubt to months between round with corresponding lack of interest.

The mistake you're making is in assuming any thought has gone into this at all.

Looks like it is being billed as “Finals Day” so I would hope that IMG’s input is to make it possible that you can leave and re-enter but the downside is that there is not a great deal in the way of open space around Wembley to facilitate a Fanzone that would be any different in size or makeup than what we have at Magic Weekend, possibly even smaller. 

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

And back to August. Whatever happened to the RFL moving this to earlier in the calendar to June/July? There were good reasons and logic given for that yet it seems to have been abandoned. 4 games is crazy too. The RFL just repeats the same mistakes again and again.

I thought the reason we had to go to Spurs was because we couldn't secure the earlier date at Wembley in 2022 but could in 2023 onwards? Now we're dropping the earlier date...

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I used to agree, but on a recent podcast (5 Live possibly) one of the women’s players said they all live playing before the men’s final. 

From a purely personal percpective..

I normally buy an early ticket for me and my son so that I can plan, did that this year etc.. but right slap bang in the middle of August? I have a wife and daughter who don't bother with RL.. until the holiday is planned etc I won't be looking at this.. 

Women's curtain raiser is a disgrace... should learn from the football.. stand alone. 

Can't imagine 4 matches in the sun with beer is ending well for anyone..