The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's hard not to feel a bit sorry for London here, this is a guy who learned his rugby locally at Elmbridge Eagles, developed via the Broncos academy, joined Wigan last year, has played 11 times for London on loan this year then is whisked away to Toulouse after helping beat them. Be interesting to know what the reason for the switch of loanee club is, presumably financial.

I would expect it’s because he’ll benefit from training in a full time environment at Toulouse, whereas the Broncos are part time 

29 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I would expect it’s because he’ll benefit from training in a full time environment at Toulouse, whereas the Broncos are part time 

How often to part time teams train? When they have away matches TO only train Tuesday and Thursday. So a lot of 2 day weeks for a while now.

Another question, if he is part time, how has he managed to get a load of time off work to ###### off to the south of France for 6 months?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kiggy said:

How often to part time teams train? When they have away matches TO only train Tuesday and Thursday. So a lot of 2 day weeks for a while now.

Considering the format of being in either the Championship or SL doesn't change in that there are away and home fixtures, do I take it that in the weeks TO had or again could have away fixtures in the top division, is it reasonable to think that they only did/will have 2 days training?

Shawn Blore to Hull FC is being rumoured with reports that he is looking for a switch to the Super League, potentially for the remainder of the season and beyond. I don't know much about him but he would bring some much needed size to our back row, he's only 22, and he seems to be well thought of by the Wests fans.

11 minutes ago, MZH said:

Shawn Blore to Hull FC is being rumoured with reports that he is looking for a switch to the Super League, potentially for the remainder of the season and beyond. I don't know much about him but he would bring some much needed size to our back row, he's only 22, and he seems to be well thought of by the Wests fans.

Can't say i've ever seen him play but not surprising given he's only played 5 games in 2 years due to injury and then being dropped completely to reserve grade after round 6 this year.

A quick look at his stats shows he's averaged 43mins of game time this year and makes an average of 60m a game, 1 tackle break, 1.8 offloads and 20 tackles.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Considering the format of being in either the Championship or SL doesn't change in that there are away and home fixtures, do I take it that in the weeks TO had or again could have away fixtures in the top division, is it reasonable to think that they only did/will have 2 days training?

When they do travel, then yes, as an ensemble they only train together for those 2 days.

Certain players, those that are injured/recovering, get a more extensive plan over the week but that will be in isolation to the others.

Those weeks that they had no matches they would have spread the training over 3 days. They have individual tailored plans for the most part, which includes team time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Can't say i've ever seen him play but not surprising given he's only played 5 games in 2 years due to injury and then being dropped completely to reserve grade after round 6 this year.

A quick look at his stats shows he's averaged 43mins of game time this year and makes an average of 60m a game, 1 tackle break, 1.8 offloads and 20 tackles.

If the signing does happen I'll just reserve judgement until I've seen him play. As you know, players who come over with big reputations can often struggle whereas the unknown quantities can often go really well.

Apparently last year was meant to be his big break out season but injury put paid to that.

13 hours ago, DoubleD said:

loanees train with their parent club during the week ex ryley dean mon tues wed Fri at wire thursday sat at FEV

Plenty of rumours being 'leaked' out of Saints at the moment. The James Bell new deal was confirmed this morning by the club and the other 2 re-signing's were George Delaney & Curtis Sironen but the club hasn't made any comment on either of these as yet.

There's also a strong rumour that Matt Whitley as signed as Mata'utia's replacement as he's returning back to Aus. for family reasons at the end of the year.

Also rumoured that Saints have made an offer to Luke Thompson to return on a 3Yrs deal that matches his current NRL deal and he'll come back as a marquee signing.

Leigh reportedly signing Dan Norman and Louis Brogan for 2024

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leigh-leopards-set-double-forward-27045791

Happy with these, both young and British which is what we need, thought Norman looked very good on loan last year for us and Brogan is another local boy to go with Halton. With Trout on the way and Halton in already our squads looking in good shape for next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Plenty of rumours being 'leaked' out of Saints at the moment. The James Bell new deal was confirmed this morning by the club and the other 2 re-signing's were George Delaney & Curtis Sironen but the club hasn't made any comment on either of these as yet.

There's also a strong rumour that Matt Whitley as signed as Mata'utia's replacement as he's returning back to Aus. for family reasons at the end of the year.

Also rumoured that Saints have made an offer to Luke Thompson to return on a 3Yrs deal that matches his current NRL deal and he'll come back as a marquee signing.

How does Thompson have a marquee status? Has he played in the NRL this year? In the last couple of season he’s hardly ripped it up over there.

7 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

How does Thompson have a marquee status? Has he played in the NRL this year? In the last couple of season he’s hardly ripped it up over there.

Mark his dad had a huge one in his back yard the other year, that probably counts

8 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Because he’ll most likley be one of the very best fowards in SL (like he was before he left).

He’s a current England international and very good player. Marquee is more than justifiable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AB90 said:

Because he’ll most likley be one of the very best fowards in SL

Shh, please don't shout that from the rooftops.

IMG's methods are to increase the popularity of the sport by enticing newbies into our grounds, if the news broke that an also ran player of very average abillity in the NRL will be "one of the very best forwards in SL" wouldn't that say that our competition is of a sub standard nature?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Shh, please don't shout that from the rooftops.

IMG's methods are to increase the popularity of the sport by enticing newbies into our grounds, if the news broke that an also ran player of very average abillity in the NRL will be "one of the very best forwards in SL" wouldn't that say that our competition is of a sub standard nature?

To be fair it’s hard it say whether Thompson was very average or not; it’s hardly like he’s had a run of games given the continued injury problems. The Thompson of 2019 is absolutely marquee worthy but that hasn’t been seen in the NRL.

The question is going to be whether returning to Saints can put the injuries and last 3 years behind him and get back to that standard or whether the injuries means he’ll never reach that level again…

1 hour ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

To be fair it’s hard it say whether Thompson was very average or not; it’s hardly like he’s had a run of games given the continued injury problems. The Thompson of 2019 is absolutely marquee worthy but that hasn’t been seen in the NRL.

The question is going to be whether returning to Saints can put the injuries and last 3 years behind him and get back to that standard or whether the injuries means he’ll never reach that level again…

That is the point of what I said, he was very good in the years upto 2019 BUT that was in SL not the NRL, coming back to Saints will do two things, one put him in one of the best teams we have and two play in a league of much lesser intensity than were he has been at.

20 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Because without marquee status no SL club could fit him under the SC. He’s on $600K a year in the NRL.

with the new caps in SL next year he would only count £50K on Saints cap

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is the point of what I said, he was very good in the years upto 2019 BUT that was in SL not the NRL, coming back to Saints will do two things, one put him in one of the best teams we have and two play in a league of much lesser intensity than were he has been at.

Lesser intensity or not; you can’t say Thompson has been average in the NRL, because he simply hasn’t strung enough games together to show whether he’s average, better than average or worse.

it’s a well timed debate anyway, with the new marquee rules he would cost 50k on Saints cap (alongside 2 of Welsby, Makinson, Lomax, Dodd, Lees and Knowles, who we could also have as marquees) which should leave us with a lot more cap space next year for more signings/ retentions.

On 02/06/2023 at 07:58, Harry Stottle said:

Most SL teams will only do 3 real days of training in a week anyway.

On 02/06/2023 at 17:07, northamptoncougar said:

Because the reduction in cap impact is potentially greater for him than an overseas player.

8 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Luke Brooks being linked with the Rhinos again, I haven’t watched a lot of NRL over the last few years but i know Wests have been garbage. Has he suffered from being in s poor team? Maybe a few years in SL would be good for him.

By anybody credible?

Edited by V02

On 03/06/2023 at 14:02, Saint Toppy said:

Because without marquee status no SL club could fit him under the SC. He’s on $600K a year in the NRL.

with the new caps in SL next year he would only count £50K on Saints cap

He’s on $600k a year on his current contract but I’d have thought that the chances of another NRL club offering him a further contract at the same level are pretty slim. Isn’t that contract up at the end of this season?