Toulouse out of pocket again

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Coincidentally this popped up on my social media from Wigan. Essentially all key workers are eligible for 2 free tickets each. The club also did a big promotion for the Toulouse game. Clubs can either make the most of these games and see them as opportunities or moan. I know which I prefer and which is better for the game:

FB_IMG_1661599937538.jpg

Actually scrap that because this game has now been moved to Friday because of Sky. Wigan now have 3 games in 8 days which is ridiculous. Player welfare, yeah right!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Its quite clear from the response of some posters that they have never been involved in any sort of business if they don't understand the first rule of business

Answer the question above 

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Its quite clear from the response of some posters that they have never been involved in any sort of business if they don't understand the first rule of business

As we're on a Toulouse thread , what attendances do you suggest they budgeted for ? 

And do you think they achieved them ?

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Answer the McDonalds question 

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Seriously ? 😂 

If you'd have set up and/or run a business where you are selling a product , be that chicken pies , Aston Martin cars or entertainment in shape of a RL game then yes ideally you want more money coming in than going out , but most likely no company can accurately predict exactly how many of those items they will sell over a twelve month period , they will estimate and hope it will be more 

That's how business works 

Yes it's called a 'buisness forecast' 

Business forecasting involves making informed guesses about certain business metrics, regardless of whether they reflect the specifics of a business or not.

Don't know why some people have pressed the confused emoji on your post perhaps they don't understand how buisness works.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes it's called a 'buisness forecast' 

Business forecasting involves making informed guesses about certain business metrics, regardless of whether they reflect the specifics of a business or not.

Don't know why some people have pressed the confused emoji on your post perhaps they don't understand how buisness works.

They have conveniently ignored my simple McDonalds question Harry , and my question about Toulouse's first SL year , the forecast for my first year of business in 1993 was a turnover of £440 K , it ended up being just short of £250 K , all from a starting 4k investment , which meant I'd earned the grand sum of ? nothing 😂

16 hours ago, The Future is League said:

This typifies the ignorance of so many on here. When did TESLA make a profit and how many years was that after being created, compare also Chelsea FC for different reasons.

Entrepreneurs have a vision/dream and often are able to get others to buy into that dream by the possibility of later rewards ie the BP shows losses as costs outweigh sales but investment keeps the vision real until sales are met. Those successful entrepreneurs often treat sport as a holiday - they have fun and don’t expect a return or their money back despite income being substantially below costs they guarantee the debt or put in more equity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Seriously ? 😂 

If you'd have set up and/or run a business where you are selling a product , be that chicken pies , Aston Martin cars or entertainment in shape of a RL game then yes ideally you want more money coming in than going out , but most likely no company can accurately predict exactly how many of those items they will sell over a twelve month period , they will estimate and hope it will be more 

That's how business works 

I gave up trying to predict year ahead revenue a long time ago, it's far too random. Too many moving parts in my game, even the weather has a massive effect on trade.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

This typifies the ignorance of so many on here. When did TESLA make a profit and how many years was that after being created, compare also Chelsea FC for different reasons.

Entrepreneurs have a vision/dream and often are able to get others to buy into that dream by the possibility of later rewards ie the BP shows losses as costs outweigh sales but investment keeps the vision real until sales are met. Those successful entrepreneurs often treat sport as a holiday - they have fun and don’t expect a return or their money back despite income being substantially below costs they guarantee the debt or put in more equity.

Ah but as we've seen posters choose to ignore that line of thought when it comes to clubs like Toulouse and Toronto.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

There's an argument they're yet to post a true profit as their recent positive figures have come through convoluted transfers of emissions credits to other car manufacturers. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 27/08/2022 at 19:17, Harry Stottle said:

And you have brought up the fan argument Glossop, tell me I am wrong with who clubs would prefer to host given the figures I quoted, actually in '17 nearly 3,000 followed Leigh to Wigan putting approx 100,000K in the till, as I say a no brainer.

Harry, I am only just using your paragraph here to raise a general point based on the away supporter discussion.  So please do not take it personally.

If Leigh get Promoted.

Of course it is a no brainer that Wigan would rather have 3,000 Leigh supporters generating approx £100k than no Toulouse supporters.  I would also assume that Saints and Warrington would prefer Leigh to gain promotion as they will receive a reasonable increase in income for home games v Leigh.  So in RL terms 3 teams will have a good financial gain.

But if next season Leigh only take AN AVERAGE of 500 supporters to games at Salford and East of the Pennines that only generates around £15k more for each club when compared to nil supporters from Toulouse.  Not a massive amount to those clubs.

If Fev get Promoted.

Then Cas, Wakey and Leeds are the clubs that should benefit most as Fev would take an average of 2-3,000 supporters to those games.

But as with Leigh, Fev would probably only take an average of 500 supporters to clubs West of the Pennines, Huddersfield, Hull and Hull KR.  So again that would be worth on average around £15k to each club.

So simply put if Toulouse are promoted for the 2024 SL season and for arguments sake let’s say either Fev or Leigh are relegated then only 3 clubs local to the relegated club would be greatly impacted in comparison to 7 others that will be impacted minimally.  

Is the above a strong enough argument for IMG to propose an M62 competition at the expense of French clubs?

On 27/08/2022 at 09:23, Harry Stottle said:

Weren't you saying early last season that Toulouse would be averaging 10,000 crowds with the half a million strong population they have, and there would be a queue of rich sponsers clamouring to get on board, and the club would go from strength to strength and along with Catalan would be spreading the RL gospel all over France and all the kids would be drawn to the game, and it was just a formality they would be bringing a TV deal to the pot.

Basically what you spout is what you wish for, it has no substance to it whatsoever.

And when has Mr Beaumont moaned about spending money? obviously in your piece you wanted to get in a bit about the travel expenses, so mentioning spending was the way to do it.

I have nothing whatsoever against Toulouse in our system, I was looking forward to going next year - maybe I still will in the Championship - but I wish some people would be a little more realistic in their aspirations and well meaning for the club and stop putting them on a pinnicle they have yet to acheive. 

No one will buy into a yoyo team. They will grow if ring fenced. Not a popular view

47 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

What's the incentive to invest and improve if there are no consequences for not winning games?

There are always consequences for not winning matches, missing the playoffs for one and being a less attractive place for top players to ply their trade another.

On 26/08/2022 at 14:20, Harry Stottle said:

Well............ Leigh are seemingly bucking that trend this season in that they are not waiting until promotion is secured, the stratergy which is plain for all to see was buy in a team to hopefully win promotion, OK it consisted of 13 overseas player's and they knew that if they do win the Championship 6 would have to be jettisoned, two have all but already gone, so another 4 to be released and two apparently homesick and going back to Aus so just 2 to go, but they have already Cherry picked the best and put 6 of them on extended contracts, also in all but the press release being issued there are another 5 SL player's signed up for next year, there is retention on some of the English lads in the squad and also speculation on a very big signing.

Now call this boom or bust if you wish, but at the end of last season Mr Beaumont said he had a plan to get Leigh back into SL this next year and if it failed he was prepared to go round again in the Championship in '23 and back it financially once more, it does need something in that the team promoted gives themselves the best opportunity possible to consolidated in SL the first season, perhap's if this works it may set the blueprint for the future, as you say still a risk, but as a Leigh fan I hope it proves to be one worth taking.

Its boom or bust.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Its boom or bust.

If the owner has ambition and more importantly the spondulic's to finance it then we as fans are grateful to get on board for the ride, would I be out of order if I suggested if the Rams had a benefactor come along who would follow the same path, you would relish the opportunity?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If the owner has ambition and more importantly the spondulic's to finance it then we as fans are grateful to get on board for the ride, would I be out of order if I suggested if the Rams had a benefactor come along who would follow the same path, you would relish the opportunity?

You would be, yes. See 2000 Championship final and its aftermath for my reasoning.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

30 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Its boom or bust.

Yes it's the approach that has seen Leigh go up and down, scrap an academy, sign a dads army team and has seen the owner threaten to walk away in the past. Signing a team full of overseas players is just the latest chapter of that.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You would be, yes. See 2000 Championship final and its aftermath for my reasoning.

I was at the game at Gigg Lane, 13 - 12 if I remember correctly and I also remember the RFL refusing Dewsbury promotion because I think the reasoning was Crown Flatt was not suitable for SL which I thought was ridiculous.

But I honestly fail to see why a decision taken 22 years ago would dampen your enthusiasm for a successful Dewsbury team today, one that can only be acheived by having a generous benefactor, it is a long time to hold a grudge Johnny and I am of the opinion not to many rams fans would agree with you.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes it's the approach that has seen Leigh go up and down, scrap an academy, sign a dads army team and has seen the owner threaten to walk away in the past. Signing a team full of overseas players is just the latest chapter of that.

Yes it's a new approach Damien, and it is one that I I imagine you will hopefully end in failure so you can add it to your hatred list of Leigh Centurions it does come across very loud and clear, but I couldn't give a monkeys f*^£ what you think, my only hope is that Leigh can consolidate in SL and stay there for a good while piffing you off.

Edited by Harry Stottle