Signings for 2023

Evs62

24 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

For me, you would play home games at the new stadium in Workington as it should have proper modern hospitality facilities.

I would base the rest of the club at the Recre, play Reserves, Ladies, development etc through at Whitehaven.

That way at split between both towns 

No chance 90% of haven fans will travel to support a team playing at Workington (and vice versa) - it would basically be Town called West Cumbria.

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

What is happening with the new stadium at Workington? Seems to of gone quiet. If that didn't happen, could Whitehaven and Workington council work together to fund one at lillyhall? I don't know how it all works between councils.

Allerdale and Copeland councils will cease to exist in April. We will all be under the new Cumberland council based in Carlisle so no chance of anything being done by them in West Cumbria.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

13 hours ago, Derwent said:

Allerdale and Copeland councils will cease to exist in April. We will all be under the new Cumberland council based in Carlisle so no chance of anything being done by them in West Cumbria.

Ah I didn't know that, thanks mate 👍I don't know how it could be done perhaps the coal mine (whatever your thoughts on it) could become a sponsor? Between them and SL could be some amount of money out in. I'm just throwing out hyperthetic suggestions so no need to shoot them down 😂

21 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

No chance 90% of haven fans will travel to support a team playing at Workington (and vice versa) - it would basically be Town called West Cumbria.

You’ve dismissed my suggestion with no proof at all that ‘90% of supporters’ wouldn’t support a new venture. That may be your opinion which would no doubt be shared by a few others, but I very much doubt it would be anywhere near 90%!

So any predictions would be purely hypothetical at this stage and it probably isn’t even worth a debate until there was a firm proposal on the table , consultation with supporters of both clubs as well as any potential sponsors.

So until we get to that point there’s no point talking about it as it’s been discussed to hell over the years 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

You’ve dismissed my suggestion with no proof at all that ‘90% of supporters’ wouldn’t support a new venture. That may be your opinion which would no doubt be shared by a few others, but I very much doubt it would be anywhere near 90%!

So any predictions would be purely hypothetical at this stage and it probably isn’t even worth a debate until there was a firm proposal on the table , consultation with supporters of both clubs as well as any potential sponsors.

So until we get to that point there’s no point talking about it as it’s been discussed to hell over the years 

Not really - most Town fans (and haven fans) i know wouldn't 

Example - 

If Town folded and our assets were merged with Havens and a new team called West Cumbria was set up and played just in Whitehaven do you really think 500 Town fans would travel through to Haven every Sunday to support that team? - not a chance. RL in Workington would just die a quicker death in Cumbria than it is at the moment. I'm not saying the above is a good thing - just realistic. 

Feel free to set up a vote on this forum to see what the fans say marra.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Not a chance fans would go to the opposite town to watch and support RL. Maybe a west cumbrian club playing matches in both towns could be the answer but not sure if that would be cost effective.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Not sure were you get the figure 90% from, but i

Just now, town4me said:

Not a chance fans would go to the opposite town to watch and support RL. Maybe a west cumbrian club playing matches in both towns could be the answer but not sure if that would be cost effective.

A new venue in between both towns would be the only solution, and it Could also attract others from the LOCAL amateur clubs along with the wider rugby league community. 

3 minutes ago, town4me said:

Thats the thing, the big argument about a new stadium is to reduce maintenance costs so to keep 2 stadiums going for about - say 5 home matches a year wouldn't be cost effective.  - especially Havens which is awful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JMB said:

Not sure were you get the figure 90% from, but i

A new venue in between both towns would be the only solution, and it Could also attract others from the LOCAL amateur clubs along with the wider rugby league community. 

Agree but where and who would pay for it?

A new stadium in between the 2 towns could realistically only be lillyhall which is near enough workington or at a push Moresby industrial estate which is more or less whitehaven. Christ knows who would pay for it

17 hours ago, town4me said:

The train to Whitehaven was packed for the Cumbria v Jamaica game. There were loads of Haven fans at the match. 

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Well at the moment they are demolishing the old High Duty Alloys site at Distington .....plenty of land for a stadium plus parking etc... so thats the site sorted out if a new Teams location is the problem .

Rumoured to be a big Amazon depot going there and offices for the new coal mine in whitehaven

Edited by town4me

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Well at the moment they are demolishing the old High Duty Alloys site at Distington .....plenty of land for a stadium plus parking etc... so thats the site sorted out if a new Teams location is the problem .

100% not getting demolished marra so that's that area out of the question. I can't think of any more areas available around that area so can't ever see anything coming of it.

There’s one offer currently on the table to build a new stadium - if for some reason that doesn’t happen, then I reckon semi professional RL in west Cumbria will just wither and die, as these old stadiums are not fit for purpose and at the end of their life, unlike football - there’s very little funding available for pro RL grounds - so let’s all hope there’s some very positive news early in 2023 or time constraints say this development won’t happen 

• 2 months later...
Just now, donald said:

Could be a quality aussie second rower signing for youse if Haven can't afford him . Ryan king released by fax and moving bk up here

You wouldn't pass up a quality player if the money's there but that's probably our strongest area with Barnes,Stephenson, Key and Steele.

23 minutes ago, donald said:

Could be a quality aussie second rower signing for youse if Haven can't afford him . Ryan king released by fax and moving bk up here

Craic at work is Barrow are after him but he's signing for you lot because of his girlfriend?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!