2023 New Kits, Sponsors and Suppliers

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Not a bad Leeds jersey but I think yours looks better. It looks a really dark blue for Leeds but maybe it's just the image.

No they've gone for Navy this year rather than Royal Blue - which to be fair they have used now and again through the SL era - most successful version was in 2015 IMO

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Also I  would have preferred the V collar that Hull KR have gone for, I hate that standard Oxen collar

To be fair they've squared off the current standard collar a little, it looks a bit better than last years effort to me. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

19 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

That twitter is pretty funny. I know Castore have had a few negatives thrown at them for pricing and initially some quality issues. But most of the stories i've heard have been around logistics. I'd imagine they use an external company for wharehousing and logistics, which is where the issues tend to arise when you don't have complete control of such things.

Things like quality are easily remedied. It's down to standards and the suppliers you work with. Find decent suppliers with high standards and you are on to a winner. Sizing and fits are also easily remedied. Providing you have people with the knowledge.

Like i said before Castore have grown very quickly, and maybe a classic case of trying to run before you can walk.

The castore England cricket gear is smart but ridiculously expensive 

I totally get that the need to drive turnover through the tills of the retail store probably comes ahead of the need for a consistent brand/design identity, but is it really too much to ask for the club to have a consistent colour swatch? 

Nothing in particular against this shirt, but if you lined up the last 20+ years of Rhinos shirts and removed the logos, you'd have no idea they belonged to the same club. 

27 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I totally get that the need to drive turnover through the tills of the retail store probably comes ahead of the need for a consistent brand/design identity, but is it really too much to ask for the club to have a consistent colour swatch? 

Nothing in particular against this shirt, but if you lined up the last 20+ years of Rhinos shirts and removed the logos, you'd have no idea they belonged to the same club. 

Another example of a possible knowledge gap within the game and at clubs (though that is just my assumption based on a similar point of view), I may however be wrong and certain people within the game at certain clubs do have this knowledge.

Every set of brand guidelines will have a strict colour palette. Though many wont have a focus on apparel and a colour palette for any apparel or merchandise. Simply because many don't think apparel, only online.

Print colours, and colours used online, are different to fabric dye colours, and working with apparel manufacturers there will be a process where they will have to match a fabric dye with the print colour listed in a clubs brand guidelines. This will differ from supplier to supplier and fabric to fabric, ie cotton will look slightly different to a polyester, and a supplier in Pakistan may use a different dye system to a supplier in China.

This potential conflict is avoided by a brand, or in this case a club, by having what is called a 'colour standard' in a variety of fabrics used on any apparel, and these standards would be shared with the suppliers to match. Clubs would then review the colour submissions and sign off once they are sure the colour is a decent match. That way you are confident all apparel etc matches your core colours within the guidelines, regardless of supplier or country of origin.

At a guess id imagine when kit suppliers change, they provide samples for the clubs to sign off, and they sign off without paying too much attention to consistency in colour. That or the supplier themselves has no colour standard as such to work towards.

That being said all these Oxen kits are sublimated, which is essentially like printing on paper, so colour shouldn't be difficult to keep consistent. I feel with Oxen, they need constant difference from year to year, collection to collection, as they produce so much. Using the same colour would potentially cannibalise sales, and using a darker shade of blue on 2023 kit gives fans more of a reason to purchase than if it was the same shade as 2022.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 5

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Ive just seen the launch video for the HKR kit, shared by Oxen on Insta, and credit where its due, it is pretty good.

I quite like the HKR shirt also, I think theres some nice difference there.

Edit. it was Linkedin. and can be seen here
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/xblades-sports-uk_introducing-the-hull-kr-2023-home-kit-activity-6983040938583408640-nsk1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

19 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Another example of a possible knowledge gap within the game and at clubs (though that is just my assumption based on a similar point of view), I may however be wrong and certain people within the game at certain clubs do have this knowledge.

Every set of brand guidelines will have a strict colour palette. Though many wont have a focus on apparel and a colour palette for any apparel or merchandise. Simply because many don't think apparel, only online.

Print colours, and colours used online, are different to fabric dye colours, and working with apparel manufacturers there will be a process where they will have to match a fabric dye with the print colour listed in a clubs brand guidelines. This will differ from supplier to supplier and fabric to fabric, ie cotton will look slightly different to a polyester, and a supplier in Pakistan may use a different dye system to a supplier in China.

This potential conflict is avoided by a brand, or in this case a club, by having what is called a 'colour standard' in a variety of fabrics used on any apparel, and these standards would be shared with the suppliers to match. Clubs would then review the colour submissions and sign off once they are sure the colour is a decent match. That way you are confident all apparel etc matches your core colours within the guidelines, regardless of supplier or country of origin.

At a guess id imagine when kit suppliers change, they provide samples for the clubs to sign off, and they sign off without paying too much attention to consistency in colour. That or the supplier themselves has no colour standard as such to work towards.

That being said all these Oxen kits are sublimated, which is essentially like printing on paper, so colour shouldn't be difficult to keep consistent. I feel with Oxen, they need constant difference from year to year, collection to collection, as they produce so much. Using the same colour would potentially cannibalise sales, and using a darker shade of blue on 2023 kit gives fans more of a reason to purchase than if it was the same shade as 2022.

To be fair to Oxen (yes I just said that ) 😉

Leeds through ought the SL era have gone with different shades of blue and amber, I think they just like sticking to the principal that they have to be totally different year on year to get the sales.

I'm not a massive fan of that but Im sure their sales figures stack up.

I'm not sure it happens as much in many other team sports, the playing kit is one of if not the most important part of a clubs brand so Im not keen on th constant chopping and changing of colours and designs, especially when all the clubs do have a kit  design; that the club is well known for (Red Vee, Cheery hoops, etc etc etc)

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

To be fair to Oxen (yes I just said that ) 😉

Leeds through ought the SL era have gone with different shades of blue and amber, I think they just like sticking to the principal that they have to be totally different year on year to get the sales.

I'm not a massive fan of that but Im sure their sales figures stack up.

I'm not sure it happens as much in many other team sports, the playing kit is one of if not the most important part of a clubs brand so Im not keen on th constant chopping and changing of colours and designs, especially when all the clubs do have a kit  design; that the club is well known for (Red Vee, Cheery hoops, etc etc etc)

Its probably something as simple as other sports not being so reliant on this income stream as many RL clubs will be.

I'm very much in agreement with you on the chopping and changing. its not needed. And for me shows a lack of faith in the appeal of your own ID.

• Like 2

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Its probably something as simple as other sports not being so reliant on this income stream as many RL clubs will be.

I'm very much in agreement with you on the chopping and changing. its not needed. And for me shows a lack of faith in the appeal of your own ID.

I think Saints do well in keeping some sort of red vee but managing to make them distinct year on year, and Hull FC

they at least keep the colours pretty much consistent 

2 hours ago, philipw said:

Cotton version available as well for those that like them

https://www.eliteprosports.co.uk/product/leeds-rhinos-2023-cotton-home-shirt/

Now I like this idea. Hopefully they do one for Hull KR too, then I can actually buy a replica shirt for the first time since maybe 1992

Good for health & safety too. I've long been worried that thousands of polyester shirts in the East Stand rubbing together were going to generate enough static electricity for some sort of lightening strike. 

10346969-1861-4dd5-95aa-82c18afb2661-Iow

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

just been to the shop to see if they had any player issue shirts in yet (normal ones don’t fit me properly as they’re too big) usually the shirts look better in the ‘flesh’ but this one didn’t, it just looks s bit odd, the two thin amber stripes seem too small in proportion to the massive white one!

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do LBS allow for their logo to be displayed a colour scheme other than on the shirt?

Still much better than this disgrace.

norwich-city-15-16-home-kit+%25282%2529.

LBS either have it all Black, as it is on the news shot or with White text and Coloured triangles, were very lucky that our sponsor actually fits in with the clubs colours.

Unfortunately its ruined by the other few hundred sponsors plastered everywhere

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Do LBS allow for their logo to be displayed a colour scheme other than on the shirt?

Still much better than this disgrace.

norwich-city-15-16-home-kit+%25282%2529.

There was no need to post a picture of that abomination @RigbyLuger; why not one of this season’s delight, or the 1989 Asics jersey instead? 

• Haha 1