RLWC Positivity Thread

Two points:

I`m expecting IMG will be looking at that opening ceremony and thinking the game deserves a lot better than that especially if it wants to go next level;

Hats off to the video ref who I thought were absolutely brilliant, no dithering, a couple of looks and then a decision. and get on with the game. The way it should be.

• Like 4

I'll be positive,  largely fell out of love with the game this season due to the Broncos and their attitude, and probably wouldnt have bought tickets for WC this test, but just back in London after a wonderful day remimded me why as a Southerneri loved this sport and cant wait for Sheffield and about to book hotel for magic weekend.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

On point 2 as a Thunder fan I'd love to be able to convert the locals who enjoyed it yesterday into Thunder fans it's about how we go about that. I'm hoping IMG see the potential and have some ideas.

The obvious way is a successful side on the pitch but the thunder should just keep doing what they are doing and plugging away with expanding the game at grassroots level within the city of newcastle and greater tyneside area and north east region.

• Like 1

Can't remember where we were putting stuff about cross promotion but the trail for England v France has just run at half time during the BBC's coverage of the WSL game between Man United and Brighton - following a bit saying that Italy v Scotland would follow the football.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Can't remember where we were putting stuff about cross promotion but the trail for England v France has just run at half time during the BBC's coverage of the WSL game between Man United and Brighton - following a bit saying that Italy v Scotland would follow the football.

I had 5 live football on in the car and they mentioned the Italy v Scotland game was on BBC2 at least 3 times

• Like 2

I've got a kid due tomorrow (18th) and so that kiboshed any plans to attend games en masse, as does living in London (the semi final at the Emirates is still a possibility).

But the benefit of having two weeks impending paternity leave is that I've got the serious intention of watching every game of this world cup.

Plus, I'm trying to get this missus to call the baby Herbie, if it's a boy 

• Like 5

So much to enjoy… 

One thing that may chime with other older folk is to consider where we started as a game: I remember being thrilled to find out we might have a 5th and then a 6th nation capable of fielding an international side. And, here we are with 3! Multi team world cups, with a further 40! Nations playing our game. With France 25 to follow, where they aim to add a youth World Cup. 

On the pitch, I know England’s performance will have been analysed in depth (with Radley in the O’Loughlin role, a Wigan fan and 3 others coached by Wane for years, it’s no wonder the spine clicked), I was delighted to see the new Kangaroo expansive style. They have all the skill in the world, it’s great to see them unleash it. 

Spread the word. Beg, borrow or steal the money for a ticket, the game will always sell itself. It’s the Greatest Game!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Oh and the make up of the crowd was good at Warrington (the few of us who were there). I had three Kiwi blokes next to us and a Lebanese family behind us singing their anthem proudly 👍🏼

A really positive memory of mine from 2000 was going to two Lebanon games and the passion for the side from Lebanese folk who'd turned up waving flags (etc) who didn't really know the rules but who were going to cheer them on regardless.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

After reading the `Attendance - O - Meter ` thread, feel like a bit of positivity is urgently needed.

Opening match on Foxtel in Oz at 12.30 a.m. rated 80 000, Oz vs. Fiji at 5.30.a.m. 40 000.

You can double those figures with streaming and even a lot of the Rugby League fanatics on the Aussie League forums reporting they watched the matches on delay. So easy probably 200 000 + the opener and over 100 000 for Australia`s first match. Very, very solid figures.

BTW seeing a lot of highlights and interviews ( including one with Shaun Wane ) on the different FTA broadcasters, none of which have any coverage of the tournament.

Only three years to France, they`ll learn a lot from this and it`s important to remember International Rugby League is in the building/rebuilding phase, so the only way is up from a fairly solid base, and by that I mean the massive crowds for our opener and tournament conclusions.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

On BBC1, England Samoa averaged 1.2m, peaking at 1.69 million. It was the 11th most watched non news programme on UK TV on Saturday.

1.2m is pretty much our go-to figure for an England international on the BBC on a Saturday afternoon so I'm pleased to see us hitting it again. Shows we have an audience.

• Like 5

As I posted on the attendance thread, my friend and her daughter are coming up from the Kent coast this weekend for the Samoa v Greece and PNG V Cook islands games, she then returns for a womens double header , she had never seen a game of rugby before last September and both of them have watched every game so far and been hooked on it 👍

• Like 7

Bit of a potential positive but watching Greece’s great performance this evening I was wondering what impact the tournament has in countries like Greece, Lebanon and Italy. 

Edited by EssexRL
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

Bit of a potential positive but watching Greece’s great performance this evening I was wondering what impact the tournament has in countries like Greece, Lebanon and Italy. 

It’ll be big in Greece given the role that domestic players like Dardamanis, Bastas and Nianakis had tonight. The domestic scene there is well established and these boys could well return more energised, up skilled and ready to help the next Greek born players achieve something. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

Hope lots get to see it - both in the countries and their diaspora communities and get inspired by it. That they scored a couple of tries was a real credit to them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

I've got a kid due tomorrow (18th) and so that kiboshed any plans to attend games en masse, as does living in London (the semi final at the Emirates is still a possibility).

But the benefit of having two weeks impending paternity leave is that I've got the serious intention of watching every game of this world cup.

Plus, I'm trying to get this missus to call the baby Herbie, if it's a boy 

Here's your list of girls' names, should that happen: https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60985/england-women-world-cup-squad-revealed 

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson