Captain's Challenge

2 minutes ago, The Legend said:

I'd rather let the referee and the touch judges referee the game, because I thought that was their job. 

Do we know they don't like it? Because if I were a ref I'd appreciate the chance to tell players to challenge or button it when they are disputing a decision.

• Like 6

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

48 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Do we know they don't like it? Because if I were a ref I'd appreciate the chance to tell players to challenge or button it when they are disputing a decision.

I'd like to see them ask the official to look for a forward pass in the build-up. My guess is you'd still have your challenges intact at the end of the game...

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I don't mind it, I think the big problem is nothing is slick when it comes to the VR. It's really breaking the flow of the game, and this is just another example of it. 

Speed it up. 

In a major Final 5 min to go with nothing between the teams the ball comes out.Ref blows for loose carry.The ball comes out with the help of a defenders hand on it.You would want the challenge then if your team was a couple of points behind.A close up may rule a loose carry but at least it would be correct.

• Like 3

I am in Team Challenge now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As always, two sides to this. I get the reason why, the absolute howler that gets missed and could massively affect the result. 

Too often though the decision isn't black and white, is it a loose carry, or is it a strip? Two players go up for a high ball, who touched it first, did it go forward etc......

It needs to be faster, slicker and the crowd at the game need to know what is going on (at Newcastle last week very few did). Why can't we have the referee's conversation put over the loud speakers when this is happening? 

It works much better Down Under as the TV match director obviously understands the sport. 

Unfortunately, as has been strongly evidenced though out this tournament, the TV match directors have never seen a game before in their life and have zero concept of what the VR is looking for hence they have no idea what camera angle to show them.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2022 at 18:17, idrewthehaggis said:

I like it.

I would like it even more had we had it at a recent Super League semi final when an obvious penalty try should have been awarded.

Didn’t the video ref look at that and still didn’t award it. 

10 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

I take it you can`t use it for forward passes leading to tries as there have been a few this tournament .

As we’ve said many times it’s very difficult to use video to judge a forward pass. 

7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

As we’ve said many times it’s very difficult to use video to judge a forward pass. 

Not always true - Tonga's first (if I recall correctly) v PNG pretty blatant, for example. The problem is actually that there are so many, allowing captain's challenge on it would stretch the game out for hours.