1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Scotland by 1 to 6 points
    • Scotland by 7 to 12 points
    • Scotland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/22 at 19:00

39 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Because they played against heritage sides. Put a domestic Serbia v domestic Scotland and it will be a close contest.

I agree. Add a few heritage players to serbia, let’s participate them in the WC instead Scotland and it might do wonders for Serbia and the serbian domestic scene and the whole RL world.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Am I allowed to say I enjoyed it? 

I have stuck with it right to the end. I've enjoyed the positive coverage, I've enjoyed some lovely tries. 

Scotland were horrible, they were gonna get stuffed either way, but I think them losing their heads was probably worth 20-24 of those points as they were almost unopposed tries. 

The ref was horrible and mean-spirited with that binning which was harsh to say the least. 

But, I enjoyed the 2 hours. 

Getting soft in your old age…

• Haha 1

Just a little public service announcement. 

There is a dedicated Rugby League World Cup negativity thread for those who want to contribute and a whole cross code forum for those who want to discuss the Japanese or Namibia Union teams for some reason.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

After years of poor, simple tries, Jiffy's commentary has been positive and passionate for a good five years now. Not sure if someone had a word or if he just fell back in love with the game, but I think of him as a good component of the excellent BBC RL presentation.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

So, we need to ban teams from playing because their faces don’t fit? That’s a bit Rugby Union’y, isn’t it?

No but if you don't have a league and have no development, you shouldn't be competing in a WC. It's not fair on countries who put in the hard yards. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lanzer98 said:

I agree. Add a few heritage players to serbia, let’s participate them in the WC instead Scotland and it might do wonders for Serbia and the serbian domestic scene and the whole RL world.

Or any other Tier2/3 Nation not currently participating 

During the qualifying rounds I believe there is a limit to the amount of heritage players no? While it could take 1 - 2 world cup cycles, the solution is surely developing the game enough that countries such as Scotland need to be better than they are to qualify. No quick fix, but focusing on a lop sided result doesn't do anyone any favours. And - as many have already said - happens in lots of sports. 

2025 World Cup is too soon to markedly improve the standards of say Scotland, Jamaica, Wales etc - but 2029 should be the aim. Target 12 - 15 year olds now in those countries and by 2029 they will be 20 - 23 year olds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RL Sutton Coldfield said:

Trains again a shambles. 

Chuffing Dutton.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

No but if you don't have a league and have no development, you shouldn't be competing in a WC. It's not fair on countries who put in the hard yards. 

Scotland have satisfied the current IRL criteria of player registration, senior competition and junior development. They’ve then got through Qualifying rounds to get to the World Cup. I’m not sure how many more obstacles people want? If we’re banning teams because they get beat heavily, Rugby League is going to be an even tinier sport than it already is. 

• Like 3

I am a huge Rugby League fan. I give my all to the development of the sport outside of the traditional heartlands of the game. I try and find the positives in even the darkest moments for our great game. Tonight, I feel downbeat and disheartened.

I went to the local, in deepest darkest Nottinghamshire, at about 6pm tonight. I had decided that tonight's game was going to be a car-crash on pretty much all levels and that I would avoid it.

Several of the locals were quizzing me about my recent whereabouts, and I explained that I had spent the previous weekend in Newcastle. They seized on this, by telling me that they had watched the England game and that it was a magnificent performance and spectacle. Some even told me about the other games they had seen on BBC. They wouldn't normally see these matches, but were very positive about what they had already seen,

Following a quick look at these boards, I then picked up a vibe that there would possibly be 17k in attendance tonight, so, in an unusually quiet Friday night pub, I seized the remote and decided to share the game with my fellow publicans. I explained that this would be a one-sided game and that it was realistically a mismatch of ability, but that a crowd of 17k was predicted to attend, even so. They liked this idea. I told them about the fact that, whilst in Essex, I had founded a club that provided for one of the players tonight - Alex Walker - similarly with Joe Keyes of Ireland. They were spell-bound by the possibilities this game provides from the most unlikely sources, especially as we are now creating the same opportunities for kids to take up rugby league in our village, through Bassetlaw Bulldogs RLFC. It seemed like a risk worth taking to let the game play out on the tv in full view.

It is the first time this competition that I wished I had not shared the game. What unfolded, both on and off the field was embarrassing for the sport, live on national TV. I was left deflated and without recourse.

We have to accept, whether we like it or not, that this is not a good look for rugby league. Poor crowd, wrong stadium, mismatch of teams; whichever way you want to paint this, it's not a great look for rugby league. 

I'm off to Bolton tomorrow and I hope we can restore some pride in our international game. Don't ever let anyone tell you that the future of this fantastic premier game is in anything other than the international Rugby League. But if you want to stand by that statement, we MUST find ways of making sure that we prioritize its growth through a regular, deliberately planned international programme .

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

That game was hard going, I watched till the end, probably watching some rank London Broncos sides in the last decade has made me immune to watching a side being totally trouted.

I was waiting for someone to come out with the line that Spectators should have a 50% refund as there was only the one International side on display...

Australia technically white hot, but not a good advert for the game north of the border nor for the sport of Rugby League to a nationally televised audience.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I am a huge Rugby League fan. I give me all to the development of the sport outside of the traditional heartlands of the game. I try and find the positives in even the darkest moments for our great game. Tonight, I feel downbeat and disheartened.

I went to the local, in deepest darkest Nottinghamshire, at about 6pm tonight. I had decided that tonight's game was going to be a car-crash on pretty much all levels and that I would avoid it.

Several of the locals were quizzing me about my recent whereabouts, and I explained that I had spent the previous weekend in Newcastle. They seized on this, by telling me that they had watched the England game and that it was a magnificent performance and spectacle. Some even told me about the other games they had seen on BBC. They wouldn't normally see these matches, but were very positive about what they had already seen,

Following a quick look at these boards, I then picked up a vibe that there would possibly be 17k in attendance tonight, so, in an unusually quiet Friday night pub, I seized the remote and decided to share the game with my fellow publicans. I explained that this would be a one-sided game and that it was realistically a mismatch of ability, but that a crowd of 17k was predicted to attend, even so. They liked this idea. I told them about the fact that, whilst in Essex, I had founded a club that provided for one of the players tonight - Alex Walker - similarly with Joe Keyes of Ireland. They were spell-bound by the possibilities this game provides from the most unlikely sources, especially as we are now creating the same opportunities for kids to take up rugby league in our village, through Bassetlaw Bulldogs RLFC. It seemed like a risk worth taking to let the game play out on the tv in full view.

It is the first time this competition that I wished I had not shared the game. What unfolded, both on and off the field was embarrassing for the sport, live on national TV. I was left deflated and without recourse.

We have to accept, whether we like it or not, that this is not a good look for rugby league. Poor crowd, wrong stadium, mismatch of teams; whichever way you want to paint this, it's not a great look for rugby league. 

I'm off to Bolton tomorrow and I hope we can restore some pride in our international game. Don't ever let anyone tell you that the future of this fantastic premier game is in International Rugby League. But if you want to stand by that statement, we MUST find ways of making sure that we prioritize its growth through a regular, deliberately planned international programme .

As you could make out the Word Wasps on the seats you should have just told the pub it was a RU game. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I just checked and 13 of squad are not from Japan. Btw it was me who said union teams who get battered aren't full.of heritage players. I don't mind teams getting best heavily if they're fielding domestic players. A heritage team full of Aussie and English getting hammered does the sport no favours. 

I saw a case of Iron brew in their changing room they are deffo Scottish!

• Haha 1

I really enjoyed that.  Over a point per minute is crazy but fun to watch Aus decimate someone.  Will be interesting to see them against live opposition in the later stages.

Close, competitive games are what we want to see but sometimes pure domination is fun.  I think neutrals or more general sports fans will have been excited by the spectacle of the Fox and co.

22 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Scotland have satisfied the current IRL criteria of player registration, senior competition and junior development. They’ve then got through Qualifying rounds to get to the World Cup. I’m not sure how many more obstacles people want? If we’re banning teams because they get beat heavily, Rugby League is going to be an even tinier sport than it already is. 

This!

They qualified to be here, the calls to stick another team in is poor funny as its possibly the same people who are staunchly against licensing !