1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 15:00

Bottom line is that Samoa were marginally the better team on the ight and deserved to win. But the problem for the final is that it was the worst England performance of the tournament by far, and the best Samoan performance. So whereas England could, theoretically, have raised their game next week, it's hard to see past a comfortable 30+ point win for the Aussies over Samoa.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Come on mate, we've been having wake up calls since 1982. 

Until the dynamic of RL changes, as in depth of players and areas the game is played in, that won't change either.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm sick. 

But SL was supposed to put us on a par with Australia and New Zealand,still waiting.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The English game/player pool is inferior, getting to the WC final wouldn’t change that.

it really isn’t a disaster more of a wake up call

The single greatest message from this World Cup is that to succeed you need as many NRL players in your squad as possible.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, N2022 said:

Samoa will not beat Aus. Would love them to make a game of it, but a team that lost by 50+ to Eng and then squeezed past an Eng team who made key mistakes is not going to trouble Aus. Aus will be 2 or 3 scores up by half time.

And to clarify, to avoid an argument that aired near the start of the tournament, by scores I don't mean drop goals, I mean converted tries.

Just now, N2022 said:

Samoa will not beat Aus. Would love them to make a game of it, but a team that lost by 50+ to Eng and then squeezed past an Eng team who made key mistakes is not going to trouble Aus. Aus will be 2 or 3 scores up by half time.

Samoa also made key mistakes and conceded a huge amount of penalties.  Samoa were brilliant in that game, I'm sure when the dust settles people will realise that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N2022 said:

I do fear Samoa will get battered. They scraped past an awful England team who did their best to lose that match. Australia won't show such mercy.

Let's give credit to Samao They stopped England playing and forced them into errors. Other sides such as PNG, France stood back.

Players such as Jerome Luai are double winners in the NRL as are others. They were never going to be in awe of England and do the same. 

I thought England played a game from 5-10 years ago and haven't progessed with Wane.

Samoa also played the tournament better than England, progeessing as they went along. 

I actually think it is great for the game to have a country as small as Samoa in the final. It's something union have never done and we should promote this as much as we can. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Come on mate, we've been having wake up calls since 1982. 

Until the dynamic of RL changes, as in depth of players and areas the game is played in, that won't change either.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm sick. 

England winning this game then probably getting beaten by Australia wouldnt change that.

Just now, Wendigo7 said:

Horrific result. 
Im not watching the cricket tomorrow because I know, knowing England, what will happen. 🥺🤢

BBC sport headline 'England fans gutted by defeat in Auckland' (Women's RU) can now be joined by 'England fans gutted by defeat in London'. Guess those will be down by the time the cricket one would appear. Actually more confident for that, but do wonder whether we have a mentality problem in team sports to choke at big tournaments.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Massive result for international rugby league. The development of Tonga and Samoa in recent years has been superb and here’s the rewards. 

If that’s not a massive reason as to why we need the mid-season internationals in the Southern Hemisphere and why England need to actually play international rugby league, I don’t know what else is?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I still can’t understand the thinking behind the first set of 6 in golden point. Why would you not just play a simple set. Then a fantastic charge down by Whitehead rescues England and they go and do the same thing!! Just play simple rugby!

1 minute ago, The Masked Poster said:

Exactly. That is precisely all that Australia will take from this tournament. 

To the extent that I don't see them being interested in playing teams that aren't majority NRL players outside of World Cups at all. 

We were average and lost in golden point and we gave them an interception. We missed opportunities . They were good but weren’t that great tbh , that’s what makes it all worse . It was there but we totally bombed it 

Not sure anything I say in the aftermath of that will be particularly sensible. But fair to say I'm hoping not to see Radley or that gob##### Welsby in an England shirt again.

Fair play to Samoa, they grafted their guts out and took every opportunity that presented itself. England basically let the first half happen to them and were far too passive for long periods.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.