Friendlies

Always amuses me how fans use friendlies as a marker for where their team are for the new season, chucking banter and insults around cos they've won a friendly match between 2 kids wearing their teams kit.

We play Bradford tomorrow at Odsal Dewsbury and although i hope the lads selected go well and don't get any injuries etc i couldn't give a Leopards bumhole if we win 1-0 or lose 50-0, i have no interest in paying £18 to watch our Academy/reserve side in what is literally an open training session when i can watch them for free 500 metres from my front door during the year.

Also makes me laugh when fans berate the squad selections for these games - 'Where's so-and-so@ and why isn't 'so-and-so' etc.

By all means go to the matches and get a rugby fix but please don't make out team X will wee wee the league or team Y are shoe-ins for bottom place.

P.S Whoever thought playing a match in January at Odsal was a good idea? it was always going to be a better option to go to the sunnier climes of Dewsbury 8 miles away!! (this is a mickey take btw as Dewsbury probably has the same weather just obviously a better, more looked after pitch).

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Always amuses me how fans use friendlies as a marker for where their team are for the new season, chucking banter and insults around cos they've won a friendly match between 2 kids wearing their teams kit.

We play Bradford tomorrow at Odsal Dewsbury and although i hope the lads selected go well and don't get any injuries etc i couldn't give a Leopards bumhole if we win 1-0 or lose 50-0, i have no interest in paying £18 to watch our Academy/reserve side in what is literally an open training session when i can watch them for free 500 metres from my front door during the year.

Also makes me laugh when fans berate the squad selections for these games - 'Where's so-and-so@ and why isn't 'so-and-so' etc.

By all means go to the matches and get a rugby fix but please don't make out team X will wee wee the league or team Y are shoe-ins for bottom place.

P.S Whoever thought playing a match in January at Odsal was a good idea? it was always going to be a better option to go to the sunnier climes of Dewsbury 8 miles away!! (this is a mickey take btw as Dewsbury probably has the same weather just obviously a better, more looked after pitch).

Are you saying that Fev didn't win the league last night because Facebook is telling me otherwise. 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Early season wasn’t your problem last year, it was when the grounds firmed up and your OAPs struggled. No Leigh this year so this could be the one

Not as many oaps this time,Leigh OR Mcdermot thankfully!

28 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Are you saying that Fev didn't win the league last night because Facebook is telling me otherwise. 

Yeah there is a bit of an over reaction on there. My take on last night was good to see the halves working well together last night and we played with real speed and intensity, the big question is can we reproduce that in the regular season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Tek ner notice Oxy let some fans enjoy it,we all know what can and dose happen but even iam extatic with the improvement in our tackling- friendly or not lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Pleasing showing from Fev in the first half in particular, HKR were missing lots of their starters but still put out a reasonably strong team in the first half, both teams made wholesale changes in the second half when the game took on a typical pre-season nature as the temperature dropped.

Great turnout for Craig Hall's testimonial and fair play to the large number of Robins fans who travelled.

Attendance given as 1800 apparently, urmm someone can't count,apparently.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

It's a fair point well made, but having watched the Full 80 Minutes podcast this week we might as well not bother trying because Bradford are on an unstoppable march to the title following their defeat of Dewsbury last week.

• Haha 1

Looking forward to our own game next week with Fev even more now.  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 20/01/2023 at 18:03, THE RED ROOSTER said:

London Skolars 18 - London Broncos 58 (HT 6-30)

It never ceases to amaze me that the Capital Challenge has favorable weather conditions, if a tad on the cold side. spectators lined up on the oppodsite side this year to previous years and a drinks tent set up. Also- praise be - a scoreboard spolied only by a couple of old blokes standing right in front of it for the whole of the second half blocking the view from the sidelines.

Marginally the lowest crowd I can recall at the game with the naked eye, and Skolars only producing an e-programme for the game (PM me if you want a copy).

The game started with Illness Macani falling over giving Skolars a 40-20 from the restart the Skolars moving the ball wide left to score in the corner. 6-0 and I thought had the Broncos transformed into a pub team. Not a bar of i,t as the remainder of the half was Broncos pressure on the Skolkrs line with them being held up over the line before the dam broke with a crossfield kick leading to the first score, Illness then scored a solo try typifying his curates egg of a day, a third try swiftly followed  thanks to an offload fropm the impressive Paul Ulberg a coupkle more scores left Broncos comfortably ahead at the half.

The second half began in similar vein with Broncos putting a lot of pressure on Skolars for little reward before Macani knocked on giving Skolars field position from which they eventuially scored. The pattern from the first half repeated itself with Broncos first grade putting on posession and points. Though what stuck out for me was a weaving run from Henry Raiwalui who ended up with a three man overlap to his left , unfortunately one of these was Illness who promptly fell over on receiving the pass halting momentum.

20 minutes from the end, Broncos emptied the bench bringing on the reserve grade, Men against Boys maybe but the boys did well. Not that you would have thought it to begin with, with a knock on straight from the kick off and the Skolars Number 7 scoring a neat chip and chase try but then the rest of the game was all Broncos with tries aplenty including a Paul Ulberg solo effort.

Good hit out for the Broncos, Skolars, well nice kit shame about the rugby, Lamont Bryan is visibly unfit and should not have been out there. Joe Mbu has some work to do.

Id say Skolars will be happier than Broncos. Broncos kick off in 2 weeks Skolars have a way to go so both are at different stages of pre season. Its Skolars first hit out and as all the lads have jobs they are always missing key lads for a mid week game. I think fitness will tighten Skolars defence plus additions and clearly they can score by getting 3 tries. Also let's see what new players the new owners bring in. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh 14. Leeds 12. Att just under 3k. 

A few cobwebs dusted off. 

Did Leigh turn out in those shirts or has it all, as expected, been a wind up?

• Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's a fair point well made, but having watched the Full 80 Minutes podcast this week we might as well not bother trying because Bradford are on an unstoppable march to the title following their defeat of Dewsbury last week.

They beat Dewsbury? if they beat Huddersfield tomorrow then we really need to get them in Super League ASAP!

36 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Did Leigh turn out in those shirts or has it all, as expected, been a wind up?

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 20/01/2023 at 18:03, THE RED ROOSTER said:

London Skolars 18 - London Broncos 58 (HT 6-30)

It never ceases to amaze me that the Capital Challenge has favorable weather conditions, if a tad on the cold side. spectators lined up on the oppodsite side this year to previous years and a drinks tent set up. Also- praise be - a scoreboard spolied only by a couple of old blokes standing right in front of it for the whole of the second half blocking the view from the sidelines.

They've been on that side past couple of years as HAC been working on cricket pitch and/or drainage and didn't want anybody near it.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow