RL hits Birmingham

Had the pleasure of taking in Midlands vs Cornwall this afternoon in their opening League One clash.

Seriously impressed by the Commonwealth Stadium which got a full view of when accessing the on site toilets. The game took place on the warm up pitch next door, a nice pitch with rows of metal chairs under a pitch long marquee the seating options - sadly meaning the game was impossible to watch from a seated vantage point.

A healthy crowd of maybe 350-450 and a local junior RU team acting as mascots and ball boys filled every gap along the metal barrier.

Midlands won the game easily in the first 40, Cornwall’s minds clearly still on the bus. A stern word at half time changed things with a much, much more even second stanza.

Qareqare and Wallis on Midlands’ wings courtesy of Castleford stood as a level above all on show. Both carried well and made metres for fun. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the coverage by The Sportsman YT channel. But I'm really looking forward to when the main stadium is available.

• Like 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

44 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Had the pleasure of taking in Midlands vs Cornwall this afternoon in their opening League One clash.

Seriously impressed by the Commonwealth Stadium which got a full view of when accessing the on site toilets. The game took place on the warm up pitch next door, a nice pitch with rows of metal chairs under a pitch long marquee the seating options - sadly meaning the game was impossible to watch from a seated vantage point.

A healthy crowd of maybe 350-450 and a local junior RU team acting as mascots and ball boys filled every gap along the metal barrier.

Midlands won the game easily in the first 40, Cornwall’s minds clearly still on the bus. A stern word at half time changed things with a much, much more even second stanza.

Qareqare and Wallis on Midlands’ wings courtesy of Castleford stood as a level above all on show. Both carried well and made metres for fun. 

I've taken a step back from the Hurricanes after being involved as a volunteer last season (and previously with the Bears) so watching from afar. I'll pop along this season as a fan no doubt but couldn't make it today. Thought there looked to be a decent crowd and great to get a good performance in the first match. Hoping the current owners are there for the long haul as the potential is definitely there at their new base. 

Edited by OriginalMrC
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Seriously impressed by the Commonwealth Stadium which got a full view of when accessing the on site toilets.

Don`t know about you, but I usually close the door when I`m on the dunny.😬

• Haha 16

Hi Welsh Magpie

I think I was standing next to you at the match.

If so, thanks, it was nice to discuss a game with someone with a great knowledge and tactical nous, rather than someone who has strong opinions but neither of the above, It added to the enjoyment of the afternoon.

Personally I found the attendance pleasing, especially if close to 500.

A sound start for Hurricanes and the dual reg from Castleford was part of the difference between the sides but others played very well. Possibly fitness issues for a few with the visitors but this was the first game.

Off the field Hurricanes made the best of what they had. It was nice to look inside the main stadium and as the toilets are there, access is easy and there was a steady stream of photographers. The pitch looked worryingly small however.

As to the present stadium, it was designed as a training track and I think spectators were not allowed in, hence the lack of facilities. There are two concerns, firstly in terms of getting a good view, yesterday was at capacity. Secondly the promised bleachers were not there and everything is at track level. Anyone in the marquees or requiring a seat would not see anything and if wet, there is no cover with a view. The ground is way short of RFL requirements but again this can hopefully be improved. It should be said as always, everything was well organised.

• Like 8

Went yesterday and had a look around the main Alexander Stadium while there - my daughter does athletics so we had to, really!

I truly hope the Hurricanes can pull plenty of fans to help fill it in 2024 because it's a cracking place! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there are moves to host internationals and 'Summer Bash' type events there in the future. It would certainly be viable (easy to access off the M6 and M5).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

Went yesterday and had a look around the main Alexander Stadium while there - my daughter does athletics so we had to, really!

I truly hope the Hurricanes can pull plenty of fans to help fill it in 2024 because it's a cracking place! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there are moves to host internationals and 'Summer Bash' type events there in the future. It would certainly be viable (easy to access off the M6 and M5).

I can see no problems with the location, but personally I would rather we didn't host internationals and events in a stadium where there is a running track between the field and the spectators.

What did you think of yesterday's match? I think you predicted a tight game with Cornwall winning against most people's expectations - Were Midlands stronger than expected or Cornwall weaker?

• Like 1

Cornwall were garbage. Miss firing non cohesive and in a few cases very unfit. #10 was blowing after 5 mins.

Until the red card they never really looked like scoring. 

Second half I think hurricanes shut down. 34-0 up the game won they went through the motions. This will not be good enough in the future it shows lack of killer instinct.

In a few rounds Cornwall may come together better and get match fit but for now they look way off. Coming from a canes fan who thinks midlands look a fair way off themselves 

12 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Hi Welsh Magpie

I think I was standing next to you at the match.

If so, thanks, it was nice to discuss a game with someone with a great knowledge and tactical nous, rather than someone who has strong opinions but neither of the above, It added to the enjoyment of the afternoon.

Personally I found the attendance pleasing, especially if close to 500.

A sound start for Hurricanes and the dual reg from Castleford was part of the difference between the sides but others played very well. Possibly fitness issues for a few with the visitors but this was the first game.

Off the field Hurricanes made the best of what they had. It was nice to look inside the main stadium and as the toilets are there, access is easy and there was a steady stream of photographers. The pitch looked worryingly small however.

As to the present stadium, it was designed as a training track and I think spectators were not allowed in, hence the lack of facilities. There are two concerns, firstly in terms of getting a good view, yesterday was at capacity. Secondly the promised bleachers were not there and everything is at track level. Anyone in the marquees or requiring a seat would not see anything and if wet, there is no cover with a view. The ground is way short of RFL requirements but again this can hopefully be improved. It should be said as always, everything was well organised.

Good evening mate, it’s very likely that was me - I was with a good friend of mine.

Are you the Hull FC fan we spoke to at great length? 

3 hours ago, ChristianB said:

England vs Jamaica would do well there.

Large Jamaican population in Birmingham and around the West Midlands. 

12 hours ago, Colin James said:

If that is correct, why are they being allowed to play there?

Because its work in progress.

Too often RL has not looked at the big picture. The Alexandra stadium warm up pitch will do for 2023.

As has been stated above the Hurricanes made a pretty good fist of Sundays event. I have been to a lot worse places to see "Pro" RL Anyone who has followed lower league over the last few years may have visited Sheffield, York, Oldham, Oxford, Hemel, S. Wles and Newcastle to name but some . A lot of those teams that have had to endure some pretty ropey home venues before some of them  ended up in modern stadiums..

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 3

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

14 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I can see no problems with the location, but personally I would rather we didn't host internationals and events in a stadium where there is a running track between the field and the spectators.

What did you think of yesterday's match? I think you predicted a tight game with Cornwall winning against most people's expectations - Were Midlands stronger than expected or Cornwall weaker?

I think the Hurricanes looked full of confidence from the minute they walked out, got their punches in first, and we just didn't settle until the second half (when it became a much more even contest).

Cornwall will be ok - we had a few notables crocked and sidelined even before the season started - so every aspect will strengthen.

Midlands looked really good, though. I think they'll do very, very well this season.

Re: running track. I get your point and broadly agree. However, if we did a tick list of positives and negatives, the former would be very long and the latter very short. It's a first class stadium, make no mistake, and from the mid-height concourse the view was excellent.

• Like 1

The seating is an issue. My wife requires disabled seating. Not wheelchair but seating with unobscured view. There isn't any. We emailed the club months ago about it an got no reply. End result she isn't coming and I'll struggle next season to get her to come back

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

I read that Coventry/Midlands helped set up some junior clubs in Coventry a couple of years ago. 
Is the same being done in Birmingham?

How many junior RL clubs are there currently in the West Midlands?

I only know of Birmingham Bulldogs, who according to their FB, this year are running U12, U14 and U16 teams in addition to their men's team. 

I think their nearest rivals are Coventry, Leamington and Worcester. Hopefully another club or two can be established in Birmingham itself over in the coming years. 

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

I only know of Birmingham Bulldogs, who according to their FB, this year are running U12, U14 and U16 teams in addition to their men's team. 

I think their nearest rivals are Coventry, Leamington and Worcester. Hopefully another club or two can be established in Birmingham itself over in the coming years. 

The RFL in their short sightedness got rid of the development officers in the Midlands and the academy and junior development suffered.

IF they didn't do this they would have an academy to filter into the hurricanes, they would have healthy adult numbers for players and a fan base to tap into.

The Midlands would be well and truly on the map, its now a case of almost starting again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

The seating is an issue. My wife requires disabled seating. Not wheelchair but seating with unobscured view. There isn't any. We emailed the club months ago about it an got no reply. End result she isn't coming and I'll struggle next season to get her to come back

Great…we make noise about inclusion through the wheelchair game ( not a disability sport, its for anyone sat in a wheelchair) but no accommodation for those fans with physical challenges. Hope someone at RFL is ‘listening’.