Two spectacular tries in the last 4 minutes but even before that he was having a very good game.  204 run metres from 21 carries and 11 tackle breaks.

The momentum that Young and Marzhew provide Newcastle has been a massive part of their success this year.

Hard carries from his own 20, tackle busting, one of the fastest players in the NRL (if not the fastest) and athletic scoring.  Hard to see what more you need from a winger.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

2 ridiculous finishes, he has to be in the shout for team of the season.

Yeah, I imagine he’s a good shout for Dally M winger of the year which will be a incredible achievement for a 21 year old.

Im trying to think of the other likely contenders - Isaako, DWZ, Marzshew, Cobbo, To’o

• Like 1

As a Knights fan, I've probably never been more gutted to see a player leave the club but I'm glad he gets to carve his name into our history with that record.

The talents Dom bring are genuinely irreplaceable and showcase the absolute best moments the sport has to offer.

Edited by UTK
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Two spectacular tries in the last 4 minutes but even before that he was having a very good game.  204 run metres from 21 carries and 11 tackle breaks.

The momentum that Young and Marzhew provide Newcastle has been a massive part of their success this year.

Hard carries from his own 20, tackle busting, one of the fastest players in the NRL (if not the fastest) and athletic scoring.  Hard to see what more you need from a winger.😂

Yeah but what about his debut against Saints as a 17 year old 😂

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah but what about his debut against Saints as a 17 year old 😂

No comment from me.  I got chastised earlier in the thread for that.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, AB90 said:

Yeah, I imagine he’s a good shout for Dally M winger of the year which will be a incredible achievement for a 21 year old.

Im trying to think of the other likely contenders - Isaako, DWZ, Marzshew, Cobbo, To’o

The way the wingers are decided in the Dally M team of the year, I expect it will be the established and rep players that will be the most likely to get in... so the likes of To'o, Addo-Carr, Cobbo and Murray Taulagi.

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ah, ok. Then again, the Dolphins' season is over, so what's the try-scoring record for the regular season plus playoffs?

Dave Brown Easts 1935 - 38 tries

Incredibly, he only played 16 games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Were they all against the Bulldogs?

Staggeringly despite us putting over 100 points on the Bulldogs across 2 encounters this season, Dom actually didn't manage to score a try in either outing.

9 hours ago, UTK said:

Staggeringly despite us putting over 100 points on the Bulldogs across 2 encounters this season, Dom actually didn't manage to score a try in either outing.

I was meaning Dave Browns tries…..but thats amazing that the Doggies kept Young scoreless twice

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Were they all against the Bulldogs?

11 in two games against the Dogs including his record 45 points in a game.

It was a very tough year for the Dogs but oddly, they didn't run last. University did, winless for the season. Easts were consistently strong all year. They played 18 games including 2 finals and won 17. They cracked 50 six times and their +/- was +440. Panthers this year are only +330 from 24 games.

• Thanks 1

For me, young Dom Young is in the running for #WingerOfTheYear. A pity that he and FitzGibbon are leaving Newcastle; that team has a nice balance to it and are good to watch.

Isaako and Watene-Zelezniak are the other two that I'd be thinking of.

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

For me, young Dom Young is in the running for #WingerOfTheYear. A pity that he and FitzGibbon are leaving Newcastle; that team has a nice balance to it and are good to watch.

Isaako and Watene-Zelezniak are the other two that I'd be thinking of.

The long range try that Addo Carr scored for the Dogs was as good as I’ve ever seen.

Steps, strength, speed and a touch of nouse in standing up the fb.  

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

The long range try that Addo Carr scored for the Dogs was as good as I’ve ever seen.

Steps, strength, speed and a touch of nouse in standing up the fb.  

The one on the weekend? A special effort, yes.

I wouldn't have Addo-Carr among the candidates for Winger of the Year, though.

You'd assume that Selwyn Cobbo would also be in the reckoning, what with his form for Brisbane and Queensland.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Dally M team of the year is the top 3 players on the Dally M leaderboard selected in their position and then the rest is derived from the Dally M panel being asked to vote on the best player(s) in each position at regular intervals throughout the season.

This means that a player like Brian To'o (for example) could be voted as the best winger whether he has been recently outstanding or not because the panel think he is just the NRL's best winger.

For me, this system favours the established/rep players in the Dally M team of the year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The Dally M team of the year is the top 3 players on the Dally M leaderboard selected in their position and then the rest is derived from the Dally M panel being asked to vote on the best player(s) in each position at regular intervals throughout the season.

This means that a player like Brian To'o (for example) could be voted as the best winger whether he has been recently outstanding or not because the panel think he is just the NRL's best winger.

For me, this system favours the established/rep players in the Dally M team of the year.

Are they asked to vote on BEST or Most IN FORM? Surely it should be the latter, if they want to come up with the Team of the Season...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Are they asked to vote on BEST or Most IN FORM? Surely it should be the latter, if they want to come up with the Team of the Season...

I agree that this is a significant difference.  The best player in a position could be the same player for 5 or 10 years... but not necessarily the top performer for a month or so.

But I am only quoting the NRL site.  And it specifically says best... what I don't know is if that is interpreted as 'best since the last vote'.  Its a bit vague.

https://www.nrl.com/hall-of-fame/dally-m-awards/voting-process/

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I'm not really sure why they don't select the players in the Dally M team based on the points they have accumulated that year... so top 2 wingers in the Dally M table are the two wingers in the team of the year.

Maybe they think there is something inherently unfair in that system.

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I'm not really sure why they don't select the players in the Dally M team based on the points they have accumulated that year... so top 2 wingers in the Dally M table are the two wingers in the team of the year.

Maybe they think there is something inherently unfair in that system.

There's an argument for that but a handful of outstanding, top-score rounds in Dally M voting could get a winger into the Team of the Year, when he has also had some average or poor games.

I would prefer all the players in a position to be judged relative to one another across the season. Dally M scores are great and a high honour for the top player in each category, but I would prefer the Team of the Year to be judged separately.

Just my preference...

Edited by StandOffHalf

12 hours ago, OMEGA said:

2 more outstanding finishes and a superb assist from Dom Young this morning in the first round of the play offs Vs Canberra

An outstanding talent and he went to the school where i used to live.He did make the mistake like many wingers of getting caught in between centre and wing for Raiders try just before half time.But he has an outstanding future in the game.His former games master is rather surprised at the progress made from his school days.