Degsy Strikes Again

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It is censored isn't it, Israel Folaou springs to mind of the many topics that have been locked.

They only get locked when people start abusing each other, derail threads, or start talking about stuff that could get the publishers in trouble. I think this forum strikes a very good balance.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. I've not been a fan of Beaumont but this year he's making other clubs look a bit flat and this was just a mistake that he's handled well.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Damien said:

I saw this and it reminded me of this thread. Despite his faults Beaumont does seem like a good sort. Im sure there will be a few in here desperate to meet the man himself:

He’s regularly on Twitter promoting charity events that he backs financially.  I like Degsy 👍

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

I saw this and it reminded me of this thread. Despite his faults Beaumont does seem like a good sort. Im sure there will be a few in here desperate to meet the man himself:

He does make me cringe from time to time with some of the comments he comes out with but the guy is as generous as they come and has time for everyone, I won a game in his box early 2020 as part of Martyn Ridyard's testimonial raffle. When we got there, the LSV staff mistakenly sent us to the AB Sundecks table in the banqueting suite rather than his box which we thought nothing of as we didn't really know what to expect. Someone finally found us about 5 mins before kick off and it tuned out Derek had got people searching all over for us and he was upset we hadn't got the full experience so insisted we came back the following week to do it all again. We didn't pay for a drink all day both times, he personally took us on a tour of the stadium including into the changing rooms and made sure we got the appropriate levels of attention from all the players and the ex pros who were also there as his guest for the games. Andy Gregory was also a guest in his box and got to spend a good hour having a drink/chat with him along with the likes of Des Drummond and others. 

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

He does make me cringe from time to time with some of the comments he comes out with but the guy is as generous as they come and has time for everyone, I won a game in his box early 2020 as part of Martyn Ridyard's testimonial raffle. When we got there, the LSV staff mistakenly sent us to the AB Sundecks table in the banqueting suite rather than his box which we thought nothing of as we didn't really know what to expect. Someone finally found us about 5 mins before kick off and it tuned out Derek had got people searching all over for us and he was upset we hadn't got the full experience so insisted we came back the following week to do it all again. We didn't pay for a drink all day both times, he personally took us on a tour of the stadium including into the changing rooms and made sure we got the appropriate levels of attention from all the players and the ex pros who were also there as his guest for the games. Andy Gregory was also a guest in his box and got to spend a good hour having a drink/chat with him along with the likes of Des Drummond and others. 

So if you want 2 days of free drinking fit the price of 1, go to the wrong table! 😁

Good stuff though. I've never knocked Derek's intentions; they're always from a very good place. His execution needs work like! But if I were him I wouldn't care at this point of the season being in prime position for a shot at both trophies! Will be interesting to see how this success translates next season as they've always had to rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So if you want 2 days of free drinking fit the price of 1, go to the wrong table! 😁

Good stuff though. I've never knocked Derek's intentions; they're always from a very good place. His execution needs work like! But if I were him I wouldn't care at this point of the season being in prime position for a shot at both trophies! Will be interesting to see how this success translates next season as they've always had to rebuild.

I did consider heading to the wrong table for the second game but didn't want to push my luck🤣. That being said I wouldn't even get a chance for a 3rd go, as it would prove to be the final home game before Covid struck and ended the season early.

• Haha 1

“People who project negativity typically have low self—esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings.”

Always think of this when folk blindly knock Degsy, he seems to have risen above his previous reactionary ways since he got a great team to run the playing side - he will always make the odd howler but you will never find a couple with bigger hearts for those dealt a bad card in life.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

“People who project negativity typically have low self—esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings.”

Always think of this when folk blindly knock Degsy, he seems to have risen above his previous reactionary ways since he got a great team to run the playing side - he will always make the odd howler but you will never find a couple with bigger hearts for those dealt a bad card in life.

I have been critical of his leadership of Leigh in the past.  Not his charity or business activity.  What I have seen him do is blame people publically which I find very poor form in a leader and one which can really undermine the moral of an organisation.

The piece in bold is the key for me.  Yes, he appears to be less reactionary but Leigh are riding high and having a great year.  The test will be in trying times to come (all clubs have them)... will he default to old ways?

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Never met the man, but I think he's brilliant. I love the amateurish and cack-handed side to a lot of the stuff he does (the Leopards launch being the best example). It's a welcome change from po-faced corporatism. Long may he (and the Leopards) continue!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Human Punk said:

Never met the man, but I think he's brilliant. I love the amateurish and cack-handed side to a lot of the stuff he does (the Leopards launch being the best example). It's a welcome change from po-faced corporatism. Long may he (and the Leopards) continue!

Agree with that:)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Expatknight said:

love him or loathe him he has done a brilliant job for Leigh and has put them in the spotlight, as for his charitable actions one can only applaud him.

And he will have spent a fair bit of his own money to get Leigh where they currently are. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not to mention SL club owners.

Leigh has (have?) shown what a homespun philosopher with local roots can achieve when marching in front with the flag. Obviously, for a long term, sustainable presence in SuperLeague there will be issues arising that he's not encountered in Championship and these will divert his attention. Meanwhile, enjoy the ride.👍

On 19/07/2023 at 11:31, Human Punk said:

It's not about corporatism, sometimes it's about professionalism, not just for him, but for his club and the sport.

While there's no doubting his passion and commitment to Leigh, and while he's probably an all round decent bloke, stuff like this just seems uncouth and unprofessional, he also comes across as a massive attention seeker

How many top flight sports clubs owners do you see getting involved in public spats on social media?

6fSaGRS.jpg

1 hour ago, meast said:

It's not about corporatism, sometimes it's about professionalism, not just for him, but for his club and the sport.

While there's no doubting his passion and commitment to Leigh, and while he's probably an all round decent bloke, stuff like this just seems uncouth and unprofessional, he also comes across as a massive attention seeker

How many top flight sports clubs owners do you see getting involved in public spats on social media?

6fSaGRS.jpg

Public spat or just putting to bed a rumour , a rumour probably designed to unsettle our club , it's players and fans ? 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Public spat or just putting to bed a rumour , a rumour probably designed to unsettle our club , it's players and fans ? 

It's not necessarily the context but the vocabulary and grammar he uses, not just in that example but in others he's posted.

He comes across as passive aggressive in a lot of his posts.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Wow.  You certainly won't have any trouble finding that in the car park.

Not to my taste but the guy has his own style for sure.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I’m so chuffed for Beaumont today, while he’s not the sort of bloke I’d be mates with (and I’m sure the feeling would be mutual) he loves Leigh, loves rugby league and if we had a few more owners like him the game would be in a much better place. Good on him. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m so chuffed for Beaumont today, while he’s not the sort of bloke I’d be mates with (and I’m sure the feeling would be mutual) he loves Leigh, loves rugby league and if we had a few more owners like him the game would be in a much better place. Good on him. 

He was holding back the tears in his interview after the game , his ' investment ' emotionally is massive , it's great to see , but as somebody who considers myself as a friend , it worries me as well 

• Like 1