Attendance thread

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's obviously never been tested but what do we think Feb will average when....sorry 'if' they are in SL next year....I assume a drop from Cas if that's who they replace ? 

my guestimate for fev in SLwould be 5k

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's obviously never been tested but what do we think Feb will average when....sorry 'if' they are in SL next year....I assume a drop from Cas if that's who they replace ? 

Closer to Wakey than Cas's average I'd have thought.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If Sheffield Eagles can somehow go up some people on here will spontaneously combust when they see their attendances. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If Sheffield Eagles can somehow go up some people on here will spontaneously combust when they see their attendances. 

Under the gradings system there's almost no path for Sheffield to go up without a new stadium or groundshare.

The crowds and revenues generated by the current* 3,900 capacity stadium won't be enough to dislodge an incumbent unless that team has financially imploded.

Great to see Sheffield back in town and winning some games, but it's Championship rugby for the foreseeable future.

*(The ground is currently capped at 1400 and can't go any bigger without costly works. 3,900 is the maximum it can reach on that site even with the works)

49 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Under the gradings system there's almost no path for Sheffield to go up without a new stadium or groundshare.

The crowds and revenues generated by the current* 3,900 capacity stadium won't be enough to dislodge an incumbent unless that team has financially imploded.

Great to see Sheffield back in town and winning some games, but it's Championship rugby for the foreseeable future.

*(The ground is currently capped at 1400 and can't go any bigger without costly works. 3,900 is the maximum it can reach on that site even with the works)

Couldn’t they go up this season without the hindrance of the grading system though? 

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Not knowing anything about the stadium, but purely based on the comment about attendance it will make minimal difference. If Sheffield can increase attendance by just 100 and be able to average 1500 then that will be anough to earn a score of 1.5 out of a potential score of 2.5, with the lower end of the SL presumably scoring 2.0 (3000 to 7500). So not too much difference over the total score. It would also score highly for utilisation in this unlikely hypothetical scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

Not knowing anything about the stadium, but purely based on the comment about attendance it will make minimal difference. If Sheffield can increase attendance by just 100 and be able to average 1500 then that will be enough to earn a score of 1.5 out of a potential score of 2.5, with the lower end of the SL presumably scoring 2.0 (3000 to 7500). So not too much difference over the total score. It would also score highly for utilisation in this unlikely hypothetical scenario.

The attendance will also feed through into the revenue score, which will put them another half or full point behind. You're right, they may gain on utilisation, and potentially catchment if they're up against one of the WMDC clubs, but it's hard to see all that being enough when you add in the other things that inevitably favour SL incumbents like viewership and socials. It all adds up.

Rightly or wrongly, it's kinda how the system's been designed - the challenger club has to be clearly outperforming, and the declining club has to be doing extra badly for a swap to be made.  Not impossible, but very unlikely, and if the SL clubs grow as intended, less likely with each year that passes. And in principle, that's right. If a club with a 3,900 maximum capacity is one of our 12 strongest clubs, something's gone very wrong. 

5 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

The attendance will also feed through into the revenue score, which will put them another half or full point behind. You're right, they may gain on utilisation, and potentially catchment if they're up against one of the WMDC clubs, but it's hard to see all that being enough when you add in the other things that inevitably favour SL incumbents like viewership and socials. It all adds up.

Rightly or wrongly, it's kinda how the system's been designed - the challenger club has to be clearly outperforming, and the declining club has to be doing extra badly for a swap to be made.  Not impossible, but very unlikely, and if the SL clubs grow as intended, less likely with each year that passes. And in principle, that's right. If a club with a 3,900 maximum capacity is one of our 12 strongest clubs, something's gone very wrong. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that Sheffield are favourites or about to mount a challenge based on the IMG criteria, just that the attendance is maybe not as much as it potentially could be. As with many of the grading categories it is quite a blunt instrument with not much difference between a club with 3001 and a club with 10,000+.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

What a shame and to think in the dark days of the 1970s it still could 70,000-95,000 plus...Wembley is just too big.

I appreciate there is a lot of sentiment for Wembley but it’s just too big now , so many empty seats (32,000) just highlights the fact we can’t pack a stadium for our major event like our rival can . 18,000 neutrals is appalling. At spurs it would have looked packed and presented the game in a much better light . 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I appreciate there is a lot of sentiment for Wembley but it’s just too big now , so many empty seats (32,000) just highlights the fact we can’t pack a stadium for our major event like our rival can . 18,000 neutrals is appalling. At spurs it would have looked packed and presented the game in a much better light . 

Our rival? Do you mean union?

I also agree on Spurs. Even having it down at the Olympic Stadium. We should be selling it to the highest bidder.

I know we have plenty of traditionalists on here and I won't dismiss anyone's opinion based on age. But Cardiff, Newcastle, Glasgow or Dublin are fantastic venues for the cup final. London too, just not Wembley anymore.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Probably around the 3rd lowest challenge cup final crowd in 70 or 80 years.

We need to arrest the decline. 

Bring the final back up north to the expanded anfield stadium and the proposed st James park and Etihad stadium expansions.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I also agree on Spurs. Even having it down at the Olympic Stadium. We should be selling it to the highest bidder.

I know we have plenty of traditionalists on here and I won't dismiss anyone's opinion based on age. But Cardiff, Newcastle, Glasgow or Dublin are fantastic venues for the cup final. London too, just not Wembley anymore.

Could be a good idea to move it around. Might help with marketing it to fans, both traditional RL and locals, as an event. Could be used as a development tool also by running coaching clinics, getting into schools and having junior tournaments in the build up to the final and on the weekend of the final

48 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I’m all for taking it on the road , I think it really worked when Wembley was being rebuilt 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

We need to arrest the decline. 

KR must have brought nearly 20k, Rovers shirts everywhere.

Have been to approximately the last 15 or so CC finals - today it was very very noticeable lack of visibility of other SL teams shirts on general display in & around the ground compared to previous finals - is it cost of transport that’s putting them off in current cost of living crisis, or something else? (Though actual ticket prices were very reasonable for a top tier event.)

All the people at Wembley & in surrounding area seemed to having a great day out & really enjoyed themselves.

Edited by dead man inc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

KR must have brought nearly 20k, Rovers shirts everywhere.

Have been to approximately the last 15 or so CC finals - today it was very very noticeable lack of visibility of other SL teams shirts on general display in & around the ground compared to previous finals - is it cost of transport that’s putting them off in current cost of living crisis, or something else? (Though actual ticket prices were very reasonable for a top tier event.)

All the people at Wembley & in surrounding area seemed to having a great day out & really enjoyed themselves.

Very few from Batley or Halifax as well, maybe a couple of thousand each and that’s being generous. If it had been Bradford v Widnes the gate would have been significantly higher.   But yes the atmosphere around the ground was superb, incomparable to a football crowd. 

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Keep it at Wembley, today was great, so what if it wasn’t full. If those two teams had played it at St James Park or Anfield there wouldn’t have been 58k there. 

What got me into Rugby League was seeing a packed stadum in 1993 for Wigan v Widnes and again in 1994 and 1995 for Wigan v Leeds but seeing the empty seats just doesn't come over well.

We are lucky to have both the Challenge Cup and Super League final compared to just having the NRL grand final but both are not selling the uk Sports market on fire compared to 20 years with a 71,000 plus at Cardiff and 65,000 plus at Old Trafford.