Fri 21st-Sun 23rd Apr: The Betfred Challenge Cup Fifth Round Match Thread

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Great to get back to winning ways in our cup final again. I had a feeling we would win comfortably just not that comfortably, I didn't think Bradford were much in the last game and even though we played so bad we were still in with a shout come the end of the game so even a slight improvement that and a pretty dry track (pure coincidence that we played better on a dry ground though 😉 ) and I were pretty confident before the game. 

There were gaps all over the field as we moved the ball about and Bradford looked to be lacking in fitness so the only disappointment is we didn't score more as we bombed a couple of chances but to nil them was nice.

Any top SL team or Wakey at home in the next round would be nice and in the 1895 cup I'd really like a shot at Widnes again to try and make up for that game.

You'd have a job on playing Widnes❗😀

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Great to get back to winning ways in our cup final again. I had a feeling we would win comfortably just not that comfortably, I didn't think Bradford were much in the last game and even though we played so bad we were still in with a shout come the end of the game so even a slight improvement that and a pretty dry track (pure coincidence that we played better on a dry ground though 😉 ) and I were pretty confident before the game. 

There were gaps all over the field as we moved the ball about and Bradford looked to be lacking in fitness so the only disappointment is we didn't score more as we bombed a couple of chances but to nil them was nice.

Any top SL team or Wakey at home in the next round would be nice and in the 1895 cup I'd really like a shot at Widnes again to try and make up for that game.

Widnes 😂

Highlights your lack of knowledge of the game as a whole. What a wally!

On to the game. 

Unlilke a couple of weeks ago when when the Blue Sox blamed the rain, the ref and duel reg im sad to say we were terrible and done by a miles better team performance from Fax. 

The better team by a mile.  

That 1 -1 so far. See you at odsal for the decider. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

You'd have a job on playing Widnes❗😀

Got a bit giddy winning another cup final. 🤣 

14 hours ago, OnStrike said:

Great stuff from Halifax. Very impressive.

Wonder why the BBC bother at all though their coverage was so bad. Just let the Sportsman do it or something 

Thta was truly awful, terible camera angles, random replays for some things and then not for some tries. 

12 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Widnes 😂

Highlights your lack of knowledge of the game as a whole. What a wally!

On to the game. 

Unlilke a couple of weeks ago when when the Blue Sox blamed the rain, the ref and duel reg im sad to say we were terrible and done by a miles better team performance from Fax. 

The better team by a mile.  

That 1 -1 so far. See you at odsal for the decider. 

What can I say, I don't really look much further ahead than the game we are playing. Good luck selling your Wembley tickets. 😉

Ive watched it back a couple of times and I don't think you were that bad and certainly don't think your performance was that much worse than the game a couple of weeks back but I said at the time just how much people seemed to be underestimating just how bad we were. Nobody wins games with the complation rate we had in the first half of that game yet Bradford were making out they had a wordly and we were still in the game at the end. 

• Like 3

looks like London have finally seen off the rams, but looking very much like fax v batley final unless they draw each other in the semi.....

Be interesting if London get saints or leeds in next round of the cup at home. DH might get his 5 k attendance, but you also might see 100+ points shipped by the London side

2 hours ago, crashmon said:

looks like London have finally seen off the rams, but looking very much like fax v batley final unless they draw each other in the semi.....

Be interesting if London get saints or leeds in next round of the cup at home. DH might get his 5 k attendance, but you also might see 100+ points shipped by the London side

First yp, the last time London hosted Leeds, Wigan, St Helen's etc they struggled to attract 2,500 and that was in SL. 

Secondly, will they be allowed to play at Plough Lane? The "summer break" skilfully negotiated by the club, which seems them banished across town for a couple of months, starts the weekend before this round.

Lastly. Hughes' 5k is an average figure....

Fingers crossed all championship teams draw each other in this round then the 2 winners draw each other in the round after just to help making the seeding system look a bit of a mess.

I imagine most remaining Champ teams will be thinking one of the big boys at home or Wakey just for a chance of a giant killing. Worst ties would be London/Batley away or Catalans either home or away.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fingers crossed all championship teams draw each other in this round then the 2 winners draw each other in the round after just to help making the seeding system look a bit of a mess.

I imagine most remaining Champ teams will be thinking one of the big boys at home or Wakey just for a chance of a giant killing. Worst ties would be London/Batley away or Catalans either home or away.

Is it a straight draw oxy ? , I'd agree a Championship club drawing Wakey would be good 😉

14 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

We drew Catalans at home in 2018 and it was an amazing event 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

We drew Catalans at home in 2018 and it was an amazing event 

And we did both in 2010 & 2016 we got beat in both but decent crowd there I’d love to see the mount full with sell out signs up I haven’t seen it full since Wigan came in the mid 90s 

36 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Wouldn't  be surprised if that happens eventually.

Really? I am sure the Super League clubs would have the best interests of the game as a whole at heart and wouldn't allow such a thing for vtheir own agendas!! The magic of the cup and all that.  Ok I have stopped laughing and taken my medication now.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Then you need a better media/marketing department... 

What do you suggest? Maybe I exaggerate and Salford would probably be the worst crowd but still I imagine from a financial point of view Catalans would be very low on the list. I guess we could spend a fortune on fancy gimmicks to get people to come but again would it be worth it?

43 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Wouldn't  be surprised if that happens eventually.

Yeah me too, last thing SL wants is Championship teams getting to the Quarters/Semis.

• Like 1