Oldham on Sunday.

Unicorn 106

Thought all our subs went well when they came on in the 1st half. Thought we shaded it as the best team in probably deserved a bigger lead than 2 points. 

But we simply didn't get going in the 2nd half. Last tackle kicks were very poor. McNally needn't have moved an inch for majority of them. 2nd half errors and a bit of misfortune the only difference between the sides. If I had to pick a mom, probably walker. Looked dangerous when running the ball

• Like 1

I understand the conditions but we seemed determined to continually barge down the middle . So often their defensive line was really condensed but we hardly ever tried to go round them. We’ve a winger who can catch pigeons and the only ball he gets is running it out infront of his own sticks . His centre won’t pass to him , no one can fire a ball to him and no one thinks of belting it down the field from a scrum for him to run after . We just kept doing the same thing . Our second phase is non existent , our passing ponderous and less said about the kicking the better . And for all that we still could have won as we basically gave them most of their points. Very very frustrating . 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I understand the conditions but we seemed determined to continually barge down the middle . So often their defensive line was really condensed but we hardly ever tried to go round them. We’ve a winger who can catch pigeons and the only ball he gets is running it out infront of his own sticks . His centre won’t pass to him , no one can fire a ball to him and no one thinks of belting it down the field from a scrum for him to run after . We just kept doing the same thing . Our second phase is non existent , our passing ponderous and less said about the kicking the better . And for all that we still could have won as we basically gave them most of their points. Very very frustrating . 

We could do with giving someone else a chance in the centres 

• Like 2

Very frustrating, gave them tries on a plate , old head at half back was the difference for me, Bickerdyke was solid at FB ( one error which lead to a try) but we missed Burns.

Much better performance than last week.

• Like 5

Really disappointing that, they work hard but there's something really wrong with the way we play or coached because we're clueless.  Stupid penalties stupid dropped balls and why play the last 20 mins like we're winning stuffing the ball up our jumpers when it should be thrown about and try something different.

• Like 1

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

24 minutes ago, dkw said:

Dreadful 2nd half, aimless kicking, just gave them the game, we had no possession after that last try. It looked like we were trying to just play the game out for the last 10, very weird.

It wasn't all awful but when it was good we let them off the hook with a high shot. Agree with above we were best when Blaine was on, Henson comes back on and makes an error, pressure gone. That was the story of the game.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Ones a defensive centre who can't pass the ball.

• Like 3

Jj and Reid made great ground when they came on, I just feel we lack punch when it’s Thompson and stevie on together. Kicking game is non existent and not sure what Simpson offers in all honesty. Definitely miss burns although Ethan done nothing wrong he just didn’t jump into the line like Jordan does. Errors killed us in a game against a team that stuck to the basics and took advantage of 3 massive errors from us. We need a leader as we were massively lacking one today 

• Like 4

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Disappointed with the result today, we gifted the 3 trys in my opinion, we are desperately lacking a leader on the field every team has one we have come across, get this sorted and I think things will improve, on another note hearing Haven players haven't been paid for 3 weeks and things are desperate again , let's hope things change for both teams soon.

• Like 4

Was a difficult watch yesterday and I thought both teams were pretty poor but it is where we are at the moment.

We gifted the win to Oldham rather than them winning it IMO and one positive for me was seeing Malik back in with Caine as he was going really well before his injury and looked good yesterday considering how long he has been out.

• Like 1

Agree with previous posts about yesterdays game , our bench players were very strong , made good yards and scored a couple of tries while they were on ,But the last 20 mins we created nothing , have we got the balance right ? We ended the game with our best attacking players on the bench when we needed a score . I think more than anything we need to mix the starting and ending 13 up . At the moment we seem to use the bench for the middle 40 mins or so and start and end with a Team which isn`t as effective in attack .

• Like 1

I agree with those saying we gifted Oldham the win, some silly errors from kicks along with poor defence for the McNally try.

In terms of players, AM has his reasons but why was Connor Terrill 18th Man....with Kirkup in the 17? 

I also think we lack strike in the opposition 20, i appreciate burns was injured but we have 2x centres who don't seem to cause the defence any problems at all. 

I appreciate its a rebuild season, but I would be looking to see if any out of favour Championship half backs/centres fancy a month or two on loan.

• Like 2

Think we need to think outside the box attack is so padestrian at present, need to get Sabutey more in the game yesterday should have played fullback after the late changes or move to halfback ? so frustrating at the moment just not sure where we are going with this team be lucky to make top 5 at this rate

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TOWN TILL I DIE said:

Think we need to think outside the box attack is so padestrian at present, need to get Sabutey more in the game yesterday should have played fullback after the late changes or move to halfback ? so frustrating at the moment just not sure where we are going with this team be lucky to make top 5 at this rate

I think we need to take a breath on this season, some games are going to be frustrating unfortunately as its a pretty much a new squad, with a significant number of them coming straight from amateur, which even though its level 3 its still a step up for them.

I still think we really miss Buffer, he would have given us a lot more control and direction in game, freeing up Ciaran Walker more to do what he does best, and run at the opposition defence, passing at the line etc. We are definitely lacking at centre in attack, both Mossop and Hurst are about defensive solidity, neither are going to create much space for their wingers unfortunately, but against the better teams I can see why they are picked. As you say its frustrating seeing Sabutey having to go looking for ball only to then have to run it in to the forwards, I didnt understand why we didnt at least give him something to compete for in the air in the last 10-15 minutes, hes shown he can get above defenders. Maybe even kick off a scrum, give him a chase etc, he`s lethal and we need to give him opportunities.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Limmertime said:

I agree with those saying we gifted Oldham the win, some silly errors from kicks along with poor defence for the McNally try.

In terms of players, AM has his reasons but why was Connor Terrill 18th Man....with Kirkup in the 17? 

I also think we lack strike in the opposition 20, i appreciate burns was injured but we have 2x centres who don't seem to cause the defence any problems at all. 

I appreciate its a rebuild season, but I would be looking to see if any out of favour Championship half backs/centres fancy a month or two on loan.

Yeah, I wondered why he wasn't in 17 aswell but to be fair Kirkup is one of the few we have that actually makes yards in the middle

53 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Yeah, I wondered why he wasn't in 17 aswell but to be fair Kirkup is one of the few we have that actually makes yards in the middle

And he's always looking to offload, it is risky and has backfired on us but if you stop doing everything because it's risky you become one dimensional and easy to defend against. It's a difficult balance because coaches are employed to win games but they're also in the entertainment business and the most entertaining teams to watch generally win more games.

• Like 3