This Week’s Disciplinary

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

There are now enough posters on here confirming that our match day officials are substandard either deliberately or accidentally that it's time for action.

1. Set up a closed  sub forum where critics can congregate and post evidence.

2. These same critics can then use that evidence as part of a sort of "class action" against the RFL, with a case so strong that they can no longer be ignored.

3.Thus leaving the rest of us to discuss the sport.

I don’t think the Refs are sub standard.  What they are suffering from, is having to make decisions on high multiples of ‘gamesmanship’ efforts per game - probably more than any other foul play instances.

The best officials we’ve ever had would not be able to cope.

A few examples:

Locking a defender into the tackle through Jiu jutsu type holds 

Simulating injury - choose any one from half a dozen instances

Crying wolf at every tackle

Delaying the attacker from regaining their feet to ptb.  Simulating injury in the ruck area to hamper the acting half.

Use of knees

Edited by Lowdesert
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not just this weekend Dunny, there has been a recurring theme on these pages fir a long time regarding the quality of officials and the inconsistency of the disciplinary, I can't see how you have missed it?

Yeap the MRP has faced complaints about their consistency all season but have taken that to new heights this week with some of their rulings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tubby said:

I am basing my thoughts on the 1980's, but I'm sure that was only yesterday! 

It’s the old “Cumberland throw” type of tackle which was outlawed some years ago but after the 80s 😀

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t think the Refs are sub standard.  What they are suffering from, is having to make decisions on high multiples of ‘gamesmanship’ efforts per game - probably more than any other foul play instances.

The best officials we’ve ever had would not be able to cope.

A few examples:

Locking a defender into the tackle through Jiu jutsu type holds 

Simulating injury - choose any one from half a dozen instances

Crying wolf at every tackle

Delaying the attacker from regaining their feet to ptb.  Simulating injury in the ruck area to hamper the acting half.

Use of knees

Fully agree with this, seeing a coach after a game come out and question the ref when he has spent all week coaching his players on how to "play" that ref is annoying and hypocritical. Refs are looking after an incredibly fast paced game now, with much more stringent rules (laws?), its no wonder they get stuff wrong. But even then refs make less mistakes than the players in every game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

My thoughts on this, for what they're worth. I'm a former ref who wasn't good or strong enough to play more than the odd game of full/semi contact. I've also sat on disciplinary panels. 

The O'Donnell tackle was horrendous. Obviously he'll get at least 6 and fully deserves it.

Hardaker was lucky - he could have been red carded but the ref has a tough call to make as to the amount of rotation and point of contact with the ground, and both those were really beyond Hardaker's control once he'd gone for the lift and turn. Was 1 game enough? For me, no, but I can see why it was marginal on the grading. I did wonder whether both of these tackles were worse due to the relative strength of full-time highly conditioned SL players  and part time players. Maybe not, but any thoughts? Still no excuse, it's the tackler's responsibility.

Three games for Ellis? Four, if you count the nearly whole one he missed after his red. Harsh compared to Hardaker, but he was dumb and won't do it again.

Griffin - 6, probably. 6 and a half, if you count the 40 minutes that helped Saints win. Utter stupidity given it was 12-12. Whether 6 is right I don't know but there has to be respect for officials regardless of what they may or may not have got wrong. I was never called a cheat in a game, or afterwards. At least not directly. That would have p***ed me off, though, as I genuinely didn't care who won. And even when I was forced to ref my own team I tried to forget who was playing. Once my "own" coach gave me an absolute volley so I binned him.

I think some of the critics of refs and disciplinary panels should try reffing, or sitting on a panel. It's highly enlightening.

By the way, I would recommend watching a few of Danny Tindall's headcam recordings of amateur games. It's the RugbyMadDad channel on YouTube.

• Like 12

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Kendall is my least favourite referee and possibly I've shouted far worse abuse at him from the stands than Griffin did on the pitch. Especially when he was officiating a game involving his former club Huddersfield.

But I'm just a fan and Griffin is a player. If Griffin had waited until, like me he was out of earshot he wouldn't be facing a  6 game ban.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

Kendall is my least favourite referee and possibly I've shouted far worse abuse at him from the stands than Griffin did on the pitch. Especially when he was officiating a game involving his former club Huddersfield.

But I'm just a fan and Griffin is a player. If Griffin had waited until, like me he was out of earshot he wouldn't be facing a  6 game ban.

Fans should be banned for abuse as well, Just because a decision doesn't go your way, doesn't mean you have the right to abuse a person.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

It should be increased if that's the case for a scurrilous appeal. He was very lucky just to get the one match.

I like the sound of a scurrilous appeal.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

34 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Can’t believe hardaker is appealing his one match ban

I can. I hope they increase it.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

Zak, take the 1 lad..

Maybe he is hoping his previously unblemished record will weigh in his favour.

• Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Leigh Leopards’ player Zak Hardaker has been unsuccessful in his appeal against a one-match penalty notice issued for a dangerous throw. The player was issued with a further two-match penalty notice for making a highly frivolous appeal.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

Leigh Leopards’ player Zak Hardaker has been unsuccessful in his appeal against a one-match penalty notice issued for a dangerous throw. The player was issued with a further two-match penalty notice for making a highly frivolous appeal.

Serves him right.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

<Mr Burns mode>Excellent...</Mr Burns mode>