Long Sacked

York fan here, in peace. Two points:-

(1) Fev fans will not enjoy the rugby Fordy will dish up, very much "keep it, simple stupid". I'm not sure Rovers fans will be happy trying to out-Batley Batley (who are very good at it).

(2) Eight points clear, yet this decision shows a clear lack of confidence in the team's ability to see this through and get promotion. How on earth will this improve Fev's performance this year ?

• Like 2

So all those saying what a poor decision and we're doomed. Were you happy with the half-back selections, or the inability to move the ball out wide,and not getting decoy runners making defences think which attacker is going to receive the ball. I mean why have the tries for Gaz Gale dried up, and it;s not through the lack of commitment by the player. Have you gone home from a win this season thinking that felt more like a loss? Defensively I'm quite sure a lot could see where the problems lie, and I'm not blaming one individual. If Long has spoken to Warrington while employed by Fev do you think that's a wise thing to do ?

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, wasginger said:

So all those saying what a poor decision and we're doomed. Were you happy with the half-back selections, or the inability to move the ball out wide,and not getting decoy runners making defences think which attacker is going to receive the ball. I mean why have the tries for Gaz Gale dried up, and it;s not through the lack of commitment by the player. Have you gone home from a win this season thinking that felt more like a loss? Defensively I'm quite sure a lot could see where the problems lie, and I'm not blaming one individual. If Long has spoken to Warrington while employed by Fev do you think that's a wise thing to do ?

So what makes you think that the regime now put in place for the rest of the season and play-offs will improve that situation, given the players currently fit and available for you ? Genuinely curious.....

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

Why not, his contact was up in a couple of months so why shouldn't he try to secure he has future employment? If you've ever applied for another job did you resign from your current one first?

• Like 3

Totally the right decision.  I said at HT yesterday that maybe a defeat would be a good result in the long term.  I understand why some fans think this is a knee jerk reaction and that we've lost only 2 out of 21 but, as has been said above, we have been average on so many occasions this year.  If we'd won yesterday it would just have been glossing over our problems.  At times its made me wonder what they do in training.  Personally I'm fed up with watching us chip the ball to the opposing full back - amongst other poorly thought out / executed last tackle options.  We win games by default because we have the best squad by a mile but not for any other reasons.  I'm not convinced that Ford is the answer but imo we had to try something or this season was heading for a repeat of last year with the better teams finding a way to beat us.  Whether or not the change will work is another matter but as things were - we were heading the wrong way.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yorkie-Girl said:

Please explain why?

Wakey said he was incharge if there attack until he left they did nothing, when he’s now left they can score points and look like a different team 

we started the season with 2 of the best ever super league halves and looked good with whatever combination we put out 

since Ford has come in it’s been a game of our pack is bigger than your pack and if that doesn’t work after 20 mins we don’t know what to do no one can create space gaz gale was scoring for fun and now doesn’t get a sniff 

dare I say McDermott rugby was more creative than this 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

Wakey said he was incharge if there attack until he left they did nothing, when he’s now left they can score points and look like a different team 

we started the season with 2 of the best ever super league halves and looked good with whatever combination we put out 

since Ford has come in it’s been a game of our pack is bigger than your pack and if that doesn’t work after 20 mins we don’t know what to do no one can create space gaz gale was scoring for fun and now doesn’t get a sniff 

Fair point so will James Ford be sacked if Fev don't get promoted?

"Reached and agreement to part company"............he hasn't got sacked.

He'll have something lined up..........maybe some deal done in the background with Wire?

Campbell can be a hot head but he isn't daft.

Regardless.......has anyone been really impressed with our team this year?  We aren't dominating teams like we should be with the squad available and for me it just looked like we were destined for another play off failure. SL has been here long enough to put his ideas across and we should be a well oiled machine by now.

Some new ideas at this stage may be a blessing in disguise.

Whether Ford is the right guy........we'll soon see........If he isn't MC will move onto someone else.

If we don't go up this year it'll be a long time before we have another chance.

• Like 4

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Old saying in Rugby League the speed of the pass will always beat the defender.We have not used it enough instead relying on barging down the middle.If you do go down the middle   forwards need to be able to slip a short pass out of the tackle.Players like Jones and Lacans have pace to take advantage .However constantly losing ball when trying it early in the season that was off the menu.Ford and Hardman need a new approach.Watch a few videos of how Leigh and Salford play attacking rugby and adopt a more varied kicking game.   

• Like 2

If you watch the highlights of York v Toulouse on you tube. Admittedly they are only highlights but Toulouse don't do hard yards they just sling the ball about. York seemed to become wise to the effect and did the same and it almost paid off. Now consider this. For various reasons we had a calibre of players not on the field at Halifax the likes of Davies Bussey Hardcastle Yei Day Ford Lacans Hall  and Chisholm. All of whom would be instrumental at play off times. We have no right to presume that we could go there and walk all over them. I agree with a lot of posters that we need to change our mindset from bullying teams and try to play more expansively.

Edited by J Phil Loxton
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

I was over in Hull on Sunday so couldn't make the Fax game, but I did get to the MKM to see Hull v Wakey. Just to take issue with your first paragraph; Hull were average, but Wakefield, on Sunday were one of the most clueless teams that I've seen for many a year. 

IMHO Long  has the best squad in the championship to choose from. Him being a multi-decorated super league halfback, i've yet to see his lauded skill and experience displayed in the teams performances. Jonny Ford gets injured after 6mins v Toulouse and there's no plan B from what i watched. No 40/20 attempts this season to my knowledge. Our halfbacks just shift the ball along ,no flare, nous or encouragement to open the opposition up.This is what i'd expected Longs team to display.Instead we rely on forward power.... a coach should have a plan B to alter the game.... IMHO.

• Like 1

At least supporters know whats wrong and the need for change in playing style.Lets hope the new coaching team take it on board.Although Hardman was assistant to Sean and either didn't offer different ideas or he was not listened to.While Ford was helping Wakey's attack they did manage to go 5 games without scoring a point which is some achievement in the modern game.

• Like 1

Maybe the early season errors and then the pressure of ‘having’ to achieve SL has led to this cautious approach. And like what has said been previously, will this change under Ford/Hardman, I’d say unlikely. The ideal situation would be another assistant to focus on the attack side, but no idea who.

Have to feel for SL last year we were going nowhere but stuck with BM but sacking SL after a second loss an sitting 8 points clear at the top of the table forgetting  his hands were tied when it came to halfbacks

We signed ryley on loan  and for me we played our best rugby when he was in the team but everyone could see he has no future at the wolves so why didn't we offer them a signing on fee like ellis and get him over the line rather than risk a recall

We decide to rely on jonothon ford  who apart from 2019 when he played 24 times in the season  the rest of his career has been stop start and for us 17 in two seasons not good enough 

WE brought over a young French lad whose a neat and tidy player  loves to tackle and with ball in hand is a danger close to the line but his kicking game is poor and his passing game is non existent you could see from the start he was a 9 not a 7 but brought him in as  a halfback  

Brought back chizzy to be our saviour after one good season in 2019  

Over the years we have brought over lads from reserve grade in Aus who turned out to be gems but this year didn't go down that route

Overall SL has had to play with the hand he has been dealt when it comes to half backs and looking at  his options he's had more than one Dead Mans Hand to deal with

ONE last thing one of my grandsons asked me an interesting question which I had no answer to  if we won on sunday would be having this conversation

Edited by POR