2023 Pacific Championships

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don’t think the role of the IRL is to organise individual tournaments (less the World Cup). It’s to facilitate the international calendar such as windows where the games can be played etc and acting as the focal point globally to discuss the game. The final element is being the investment and development lead across the world in conjunction with regional bodies. Ultimately it’s looking strategically rather than at local/tactical level. 

Also, if we're ever going to get recognised as an independent, global sport (still amazing I have to type those words in 2023), there needs to be an independent, global secretariat. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Also, if we're ever going to get recognised as an independent, global sport (still amazing I have to type those words in 2023), there needs to be an independent, global secretariat. 

Absolutely. It is the norm in all global sports and what is expected.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've always been sceptical about PNG but if this $25 million a year is true and is locked in for a minimum of 10 years then it should be a no brainer as it would pay for itself (and presumably the PNG government would provide guaranteed cash too):

The Australian Government has reportedly indicated that up to $25 million a year would be committed to underwriting a PNG franchise. The PNG Government, as well as a slew of cashed-up corporate behemoths in the region – such as ExxonMobil, Santos and Newcrest – are expected to cover any shortfall.

I`m taking the $25 million comment with a very large grain of salt as well, the use of the word `reportedly` probably sums it up. What does appear to be fact though is the Federal Gov`t tipping in $5.5m to invest in junior pathways, this would be much more in line with a team coming in in the future.

I have to admit I`m confused as to why we continue to read P.N.G. as being the 18th team frontrunner, the only justification I can think of is a) the Federal Gov`t wanting to continue to curry favour with the P.N. G. Gov`t, and b) V`landy`s continuing to apply pressure on the West Australians to up their bid.

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I`m taking the $25 million comment with a very large grain of salt as well, the use of the word `reportedly` probably sums it up. What does appear to be fact though is the Federal Gov`t tipping in $5.5m to invest in junior pathways, this would be much more in line with a team coming in in the future.

I have to admit I`m confused as to why we continue to read P.N.G. as being the 18th team frontrunner, the only justification I can think of is a) the Federal Gov`t wanting to continue to curry favour with the P.N. G. Gov`t, and b) V`landy`s continuing to apply pressure on the West Australians to up their bid.

I think it is all about warding off Chinese government influence in Papua New Guinea.

• Like 1

Just now, dealwithit said:

$25M underwriting isn’t the same as $25M grant funding.

Anyway, back to the topic. This is great news for International RL in the southern hemisphere. I was very worried that the CBA and the WC delay would be the nail in the coffin. 

I think it is pretty clear that the NRL commission has persuaded the clubs to allow a four week window after the season (and a little bit more in the WC years) for the abolition of the mid-year internationals

Therefore on the one hand all proposals with more games are pure (of course fascinating) fantasy, but on the other hand we do not have to fear the demise of international rugby league anymore

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Recognised by who?

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Great to see this happening but teams need to be playing far more international games than this. 2 and at the most 3 a year just isn't enough. That should be the mid season amount.

We were told that the scrapping of the mid season international would lead to a longer end of season window. That was the justification given. This announcement is for no more than we could/should have had before anyway, and less than we have had in some years. It is certainly less than the Tri and 4 nations days and in the seasons when the likes of NZ have toured.

I think if we got to a stage where the top 10 nations were actually playing 3 games every year it would probably be the best it's ever been. 

new rise.jpg

57 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

I think it is pretty clear that the NRL commission has persuaded the clubs to allow a four week window after the season (and a little bit more in the WC years) for the abolition of the mid-year internationals

Therefore on the one hand all proposals with more games are pure (of course fascinating) fantasy, but on the other hand we do not have to fear the demise of international rugby league anymore

We've always had that though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I think if we got to a stage where the top 10 nations were actually playing 3 games every year it would probably be the best it's ever been. 

Depends on your perspective. When I got hooked in to rugby league it was through watching Great Britain play in 1990. They played 11 games that year. 3 was the absolute minimum they would play around that era. Obviously we have more top nations now than we did then, but everyone playing 3 games isn't very good IMO.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To be fair it’s easier for them to sort it. 

Because they rule with an iron fist. How often do the pacific island players get picked for their nations mid season but are refused to leave by their English clubs? If we said to the NRL (with the backing of the IRL), that players are legally obliged to release their players for mid season internationals over here, they'd just laugh.

19 hours ago, Copa said:

Good stuff. Lots of support from the Australian federal government too.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/08/16/nrl-announce-2023-pacific-championships/

Six men’s teams and seven women’s teams will take part in the 2023 tournament across two pools, which will begin on October 14. The men’s tournaments will culminate in finals in Hamilton, New Zealand, and Port Moresby on November 4-5.

The 2023 Championships will include two match days in Australia, two in New Zealand and four in Papua New Guinea (PNG).

2023 Pacific Championships Schedule

Week One – October 14-15

Australia v Samoa (men) at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville

Australia v New Zealand (women) at Queensland Country Bank Stadium Townsville

PNG v Cook Islands (men) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Samoa v Fiji (women) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Week Two – October 21-22

New Zealand v Samoa (men) at Eden Park, Auckland

New Zealand v Tonga (women) at Eden Park, Auckland

Fiji v Cook Islands (men) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

PNG v Cook Islands (women) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Week Three – October 28-29

Australia v New Zealand (men) at AAMI Park, Melbourne

Australia v New Zealand (women) at AAMI Park, Melbourne

PNG v Fiji (men) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Week Four – November 4-5

The Final of the men’s Pacific Cup tournament on November 4 in Hamilton, New Zealand

The Final of the men’s Pacific Bowl tournament on November 5 at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

There we have it. A schedule of 13 post season international RL games taking place in the SH in 2023.

What were people saying about the NRL not caring about international RL?

• Thanks 2