League 1 2024

havenhater

I think they fail to realise that this has a knock on effect; the less I'm able to watch my team play the less I'm interested in RL full stop. I used to go to occcasional SL and CC games. I don't go any now and only sometimes watch if on C4 or Beeb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DocH said:

I think they fail to realise that this has a knock on effect; the less I'm able to watch my team play the less I'm interested in RL full stop. I used to go to occcasional SL and CC games. I don't go any now and only sometimes watch if on C4 or Beeb

I’m the same,  I’m only interested in watching Workington Town, the clowns who are destroying the game can @@@@ right off. 😡

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DocH said:

Totally agree, feel really sorry for the board of directors who have done all they can to promote each game as an event to be stuck with so few home games. Taking a miracle and a lot of good will to be able to fund a competitive squad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I really think the Chairs of League One clubs should be proposing a vote of no confidence in the RFL management.

They really are a rudderless ship seemingly devoid of any type of ideas as to how to rebuild the profile of the game.

Let's be brutally honest here, League One is a shambles and it seems the RFL are hell bent on destroying the professional game below championship level or why else would you persevere with a 9 team competition when it's plainly obvious that club's cannot survive on 9 weekends of trading out of 52!

every major sport thrives on its big game / international programme, but the RFL must be the only organisation who manage to f*c* that up as well!!

The attendances at the world cup were shameful, yes you can't hold a gun to peoples heads and make them attend, but they went for the safe option, playing games on the M62 corridor which were very poorly attended.

the Tri-Nations and the the Four Nations were great income streams for the game, and very successful, so why haven't those been reintroduced in non-world cup years?

the magic weekend is a staple of the RL calendar, so again what's the logic in removing a key event, one much loved by supporters in favour of what???

Absolute clowns running the game into the ground and its about time clubs started to be more public in their criticism 

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I really think the Chairs of League One clubs should be proposing a vote of no confidence in the RFL management.

They really are a rudderless ship seemingly devoid of any type of ideas as to how to rebuild the profile of the game.

Let's be brutally honest here, League One is a shambles and it seems the RFL are hell bent on destroying the professional game below championship level or why else would you persevere with a 9 team competition when it's plainly obvious that club's cannot survive on 9 weekends of trading out of 52!

every major sport thrives on its big game / international programme, but the RFL must be the only organisation who manage to f*c* that up as well!!

The attendances at the world cup were shameful, yes you can't hold a gun to peoples heads and make them attend, but they went for the safe option, playing games on the M62 corridor which were very poorly attended.

the Tri-Nations and the the Four Nations were great income streams for the game, and very successful, so why haven't those been reintroduced in non-world cup years?

the magic weekend is a staple of the RL calendar, so again what's the logic in removing a key event, one much loved by supporters in favour of what???

Absolute clowns running the game into the ground and its about time clubs started to be more public in their criticism 

As you said above "that club's cannot survive on 9 weekends of trading out of 52!" and it will be 8 next year?

So I think L1 Should play H & A twice if only 9 teams. - For example it stops the who goes to Cornwall twice problem [no disrespect] - we all go twice?

I know that's 32 games - but 16 home games. Is where the income comes from as CF is currently only 1% of what SL get and if SG are going to have theirs reduced as said elsewhere they will probably have a go at our 15K first.

And before anyone just screams too many games , just check back to pre SL - any year there was a lot of messing about with leagues then, but

1993/4 as an example 

2 x 16 divisions = 30 matches each

plus CC and Regal trophy and premierships

Town played 38 games that season

Wigan played 43

L1 teams unlikely to get more than 1 or 2 in CC and could make it a straight forward 2 up 2 down and scrap play offs

We should have games every week - not gaps of 2 or 3 weeks all way through season.

This season in total we had 20 games [inc cup and playoffs] = 10 home

In Comparison Wigan and Saints had 32 and it would be their players in any internationals ets not L1 players

Edited by Derwent Parker
  • Like 2

I’ll just say that if we get extra fixtures - and we do need extra fixtures - they MUST be league fixtures . I have zero interest in this 1895 Cup or whatever it is that is used to pad the schedule out . It’s very sad though that this league that only a few years ago was a really good substantial league has been allowed to wither away and is now seemingly a neglected afterthought . No one outside it really cares . It’s a sad indictment on the game and it’s governance really 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’ll just say that if we get extra fixtures - and we do need extra fixtures - they MUST be league fixtures . I have zero interest in this 1895 Cup or whatever it is that is used to pad the schedule out . It’s very sad though that this league that only a few years ago was a really good substantial league has been allowed to wither away and is now seemingly a neglected afterthought . No one outside it really cares . It’s a sad indictment on the game and it’s governance really 

I think its a sad indictment of the clubs allowing the RFL to get into this state to start with as they should have got together after big Nigel left and was replaced with Ralph Rimmer as CEO and demanded change as neither were up to the job - although Rimmer did have a more difficult task as his hands were financially tied - hence his appointment as the cheapest option I suppose.

This deal with IMG smacks of desperation, which begs the question - are the RFL staff up to the job, and have some of them been there for so long that they are merely going through the motions as they seemingly have very little to offer as the game as a whole.

Clubs will always put self interest first at any level, but strong management is required to make difficult decisions for the overall health of the game.

All clubs have had their central funding cut, but as is the case whenever funding is involved, its always the people who need it most who are the ones to suffer most. 

The current RFL hierarchy are spineless and have allowed themselves to be controlled by a handful of Super league clubs to the detriment of the remaining clubs.

The game appears to be in a similar position to the 1970's - more or less bankrupt - both financially and bereft of ideas and something needs to happen before the game below super league level just whithers and dies a slow death.   

• Like 6

Agree with the comments on here about the state of League 1  .  But it is up to the Clubs in our division   to call a meeting and decide themselves what is best for next season and go to the RFL with a proposal . If we wait for the RFL to do anything , we will still be waiting this time next year . We really need to force their hand .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Cant recall exactly but i think at the previous Sky reduction SG lost 13% and L1 teams lost 66% of CF

So the most was taken from the poorest teams. Hence why we are losing some teams.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

In 1995/96 their beloved Leigh and Hull KR were in the third tier , guess where Town were!  Would they have got where they are on 8 home games?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/third-division-1995-96/hull-kr/summary.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

In 1995/96 their beloved Leigh and Hull KR were in the third tier , guess where Town were!  Would they have got where they are on 8 home games?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/third-division-1995-96/hull-kr/summary.html

This page shows it better

1995–96 Rugby Football League season - Wikipedia

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Agree with the comments on here about the state of League 1  .  But it is up to the Clubs in our division   to call a meeting and decide themselves what is best for next season and go to the RFL with a proposal . If we wait for the RFL to do anything , we will still be waiting this time next year . We really need to force their hand .

Hard to get anything done at RFL meetings - voting is weighted 

12 SG teams get 24 votes

14 champ get 14 votes 

L1 get 9 votes

• Thanks 1

Proposal's were talked about at the RL meeting last Wednesday  . But the outcome was, it stays the same. The RL listened to the concerns of the number of matches  L1 have and how can they survive . Ideas were talked about . A  new cup competition  for L1 and Championship clubs plus Super league reserve teams ( looking after Super league clubs again ! ).But I wouldn't count on any of the  idea's the clubs have came up with  .There not interested  in L1 . At the Towns  Presentation night it was said that championship and L1 clubs were shown a Proposal  from the Town board about joining both leagues together  .The four teams at the bottom of championship  with only a couple of matches to go, anyone of them could have been relegated. All agreed to the proposal   but TWO of them , as soon has they were SAFE, didn't agree to it .( it's easy to work out who they were) As long as Super league and Championship  clubs  get what they want . They couldn't give a toss  what happens to anyone else . . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silverfox said:

Proposal's were talked about at the RL meeting last Wednesday  . But the outcome was, it stays the same. The RL listened to the concerns of the number of matches  L1 have and how can they survive . Ideas were talked about . A  new cup competition  for L1 and Championship clubs plus Super league reserve teams ( looking after Super league clubs again ! ).But I wouldn't count on any of the  idea's the clubs have came up with  .There not interested  in L1 . At the Towns  Presentation night it was said that championship and L1 clubs were shown a Proposal  from the Town board about joining both leagues together  .The four teams at the bottom of championship  with only a couple of matches to go, anyone of them could have been relegated. All agreed to the proposal   but TWO of them , as soon has they were SAFE, didn't agree to it .( it's easy to work out who they were) As long as Super league and Championship  clubs  get what they want . They couldn't give a toss  what happens to anyone else . . 

I wonder who the two clubs where silverfox, I can't think 🤔

• Haha 1

Really doesn`t matter who the Clubs were , what does matter to the RFL is there plan to make Teams in Division 1 go bankrupt and withdraw from the League so they have no actual decisions to make  .  What if another Team goes under , i bet the RFL will just turn around and say  , "7 home games is enough , get on with it ". They really would like everything below Super League to whither and die .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dkw said:

I expect haven are worried financially seeing as though they aren't paying players again.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0hZ5J8Q88miVTJVmLB4di3UAGkpXBAwt1rcxSPUyCvBWMHXfFrZ6LfMGU8L8umE86l&id=100063760291448

Not sure what's going on, wouldn't of thought finances would be a major issue already, the VP's have just sold all their gold memberships which totals around the 10K mark then sold standard memberships as well, might be more to this than meets the eye but as I say, not sure 🤦

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Not sure what's going on, wouldn't of thought finances would be a major issue already, the VP's have just sold all their gold memberships which totals around the 10K mark then sold standard memberships as well, might be more to this than meets the eye but as I say, not sure 🤦

There's comments on other posts from Tom Walkers girlfriend saying he hasn't been paid for 4 months. Hopefully you can get it sorted and paid up to date 🤞