London (Merged Threads)

After some poor news with the demise of thunder i think its fantastic that London have earned promotion, might not be a popular opinion with the M62 clubs but it is essential for the good of the game for them to be there. They now need the support of the game as a whole to ensure their long term survival at this level

• Like 1

It's completely unexpected, even more than last time, but as long as we don't embarrass ourselves and put up a good fight, that's the most we can ask for. We've done it the hard way twice, now no one can surely claim the RFL/IMG put us in the SL.

Edited by londonrlfan
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

That’s fine but if you’re willing to part with your hard earned for friendlies that’s up to you lol. 

Each to their own. I'll enjoy watching York compete in the Championship while continuing to gradually improve off the field. There was even talk of new LED perimeter boards and a big screen at last week's forum 😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

Each to their own. I'll enjoy watching York compete in the Championship while continuing to gradually improve off the field. There was even talk of new LED perimeter boards and a big screen at last week's forum 😃

That’s fine gav and I wouldn’t talk anyone out of going, but we complain we can’t get fans through the gates do you believe nothing to play for and LED boards will bring fans in while we dilute the product on the pitch lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

That’s fine gav and I wouldn’t talk anyone out of going, but we complain we can’t get fans through the gates do you believe nothing to play for and LED boards will bring fans in while we dilute the product on the pitch lol. 

Because only you think there is nothing to play for. York as a club believes that there is plenty to play for, and will market themselves as such.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Route66 said:

After some poor news with the demise of thunder i think its fantastic that London have earned promotion, might not be a popular opinion with the M62 clubs but it is essential for the good of the game for them to be there. They now need the support of the game as a whole to ensure their long term survival at this level

This level is too low for London though.  London needs to be at a level equal to the Premier League or higher still like the Champions League.  Nothing less is good enough in such world alpha cities.

2 hours ago, Route66 said:

What makes you think the M62 clubs ( apart from Fev of course ) won't be happy with London being promoted ? 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What makes you think the M62 clubs ( apart from Fev of course ) won't be happy with London being promoted ? 

Fev are happy their up, I am anyway lol. Get Toulouse and eagles up next lol. Joking aside they deserved it they beat us they beat eagles and beat Toulouse all away. No sour grapes from me we just were s h i t e and deserved to lose saved our worst game of season for most important one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 09:03, Toby Chopra said:

From what I can see the only categories they'd outscore Wakey in are non-central turnover share - cos they get almost nothing central - and catchment. In total it would be an advantage of about 1.6 points. 

Because of the 3 year average, fandom, performance and finance should see Wakey comfortably overhaul that, plus a little stadium bonus for primacy of tenure.

Which is why David Hughes should go for broke - he's spent enough aimlessly over the years so now do it when it really matters - and try and not finish bottom 

If London could finish 9th or 10th, and Wakey slip up in the Championship as we've seen with Fev it happens - then there's a chance.

It's gonna look pretty silly when IMG are booting us out after we win the SL GF. But I'll take it.

Just finished rewatching the game, I can’t believe it. It was magical what London did last week but they somehow topped that. Even more special with 10 Southern Born lads + A Welshmen, 2 PNG and 1 Fijian. Actually only 3 players in the whole side who are from a genuine rugby league heartland. Truly special stuff from the Broncos, they look a top side.

Alex Walker is a phenomenal fullback, Macani is also Fantasic, Leyland is full of potential aswell. It might not be easy at first in the SL but with players like them, they could genuinely go somewhere.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a fantastic achievement, but are London Broncos 2023 the worst prepared side ever to be promoted to Super League?

they've only been promoted for like 15 hours, Signings will definitely be made.

Importantly a lot of players are still off contract for next year, some players they could sign are Connor Wynne, Joe Lovodua, Ben Reynolds*, Aaron Smith, Danny Addy, Ben Hellewell, Will Hoopoate, Eddie Battye, Lee Kershaw, Renouf Atoni, Matty Russell*, Cade Cust* And from Australia there are players like Nathan Brown, Corey Allen, Charlie Staines, Jake Turpin, Billy Burns, Hymel Hunt, Brodie Jones, Bailey Hodgson, Tepai Moeroa, George Jennings and many more.

For me, they have got a good core few players who have been there for a long time and Also some very talented youngsters. If they can sign a couple more experienced first graders around the side they could do something. Though I doubt they will overspend much at all as there is no threat of relegation, So the youth will definitely be given opportunities which is a great thing.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NRLandSL said:

they've only been promoted for like 15 hours, Signings will definitely be made.

Importantly a lot of players are still off contract for next year, some players they could sign are Connor Wynne, Joe Lovodua, Ben Reynolds*, Aaron Smith, Danny Addy, Ben Hellewell, Will Hoopoate, Eddie Battye, Lee Kershaw, Renouf Atoni, Matty Russell*, Cade Cust* And from Australia there are players like Nathan Brown, Corey Allen, Charlie Staines, Jake Turpin, Billy Burns, Hymel Hunt, Brodie Jones, Bailey Hodgson, Tepai Moeroa, George Jennings and many more.

For me, they have got a good core few players who have been there for a long time and Also some very talented youngsters. If they can sign a couple more experienced first graders around the side they could do something. Though I doubt they will overspend much at all as there is no threat of relegation, So the youth will definitely be given opportunities which is a great thing.

That to me screams 1 year deals for the worst ones who couldn't get deals elsewhere tbh. A renowned recipe for success... oh wait not that.

The core seems good but again are they, and indeed the whole club, not part time currently?

The threat of relegation is there. Without a good final position in the table Wakefield Trinity will almost certainly score higher than London Broncos.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Let's be honest Championship clubs would much rather have seen Toulouse go up. I think that outcome would have been better for the sport too but I wish London well and hope they make a good go of it.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The threat of relegation is there. Without a good final position in the table Wakefield Trinity will almost certainly score higher than London Broncos.

It does feel like the IMG system can easily become counter productive. Probably because of compromises made to get it passed by clubs. But one thing that removing automatic P&R was supposed to provide was certainty. 

As it is, that certainty is removed, and even worse, London (and other clubs) won't be 100% sure of what they need to do to ensure Super League status in 2025.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

It does feel like the IMG system can easily become counter productive. Probably because of compromises made to get it passed by clubs. But one thing that removing automatic P&R was supposed to provide was certainty. 

As it is, that certainty is removed, and even worse, London (and other clubs) won't be 100% sure of what they need to do to ensure Super League status in 2025.

We'll see when the indicative gradings come out hopefully asap, by which point we'll have a greater idea.

Ultimately we know that getting an A Grade is the only way to ensure SL status. Squabbling over which "b's" has been the problem for a while, in various guises.