George Williams extended ban - impact on England team

I see that George Williams' appeal against his one match ban has been deemed to be frivolous and the ban doubled. He will now miss two of England's three matches against Tonga.

Does anyone know how much input in whether to appeal is from the player themselves and how much is their club?

I dare say that Warrington won't be bothered whether the ban was one or two matches given that they will be served during England matches.

https://www.totalrl.com/warrington-wolves-star-george-williams-sees-ban-doubled-for-frivolous-appeal/

• Thanks 2

If there's been a more petty act by the disciplinary committee this season then I must have missed it. I understood the first ban, it's not the committee's fault we have the policy of club bans being served in internationals (that should be changed, but it's not theirs to change), but to double a ban merely in annoyance at your judgement being questioned strikes me as spiteful nonsense. 

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If there's been a more petty act by the disciplinary committee this season then I must have missed it. I understood the first ban, it's not the committee's fault we have the policy of club bans being served in internationals (that should be changed, but it's not theirs to change), but to double a ban merely in annoyance at your judgement being questioned strikes me as spiteful nonsense. 

It's made even more weird that Matty Lees appealed the same charge(Grade B shoulder charge - 1 match ban) in the same way(pleaded guilty but challenged the grading) and had his downgraded to fine only whilst George Williams had an extra game added. Now i'm sure there is a good explanation to why they are 2 very different cases/decisions - except the RFL doesn't seem to release minutes from the appeal. 

It really does boggle the mind.

• Like 2

Good old RL - been shooting itself in the foot since 1895. If the offence was committed in a Warrington shirt, then it’s Warrington who should suffer from not being able to play him. Not England. We’re hardly deluged with quality International games, are we? So it might be useful to be able to select the best available team.  As for this ‘frivolous appeal’ BS….why should anyone suffer from appealing a judgement against them? The outcome should be either it’s upheld or reduced, not increased. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Is this the first 'frivolous appeal' extension of the year? I can't remember any others and there have been some pretty frivolous appeals this year.

Neither can I although I haven’t gone looking for them every week.

It does seem as if the appeal must have been ridiculously petty as our disciplinary seemed to have reduced the bans whilst introducing more monetary fines.

• Like 1

It is a very disappointing outcome but I think we have to respect the decision of the panel who decided it was frivolous; Kristian Woolf, Will Hopoate and Konrad Hurrell.

• Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is a very disappointing outcome but I think we have to respect the decision of the panel who decided it was frivolous; Kristian Woolf, Will Hopoate and Konrad Hurrell.

The RFL Disciplinary on X (formerly known as Twitter) will be stealing that, Dunbar!

34 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

The amount of journalists who don't understand the disciplinary process, despite it being explained to them a million times, is amazing.

Are they the same ones who say “only in RL” and then ignore the equivalents shown from other sports?

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Isn't the solution to avoiding losing Williams for the forthcoming internationals in the RFL's own hands?

First, before the start of this international series, arrange an England Knights fixture (in which Williams would obviously have played), maybe against an All-Star 'Anybody who fancies a game' Select XIII.  Then, the day after, introduce a new one-game cup competition for teams that topped the SL table for more than one week during the season, but didn't win the grand final.  It will be between the Wire and Saturday's GF losers.

Sorted!

The right to appeal comes with strings, so it is not a full right too appeal, maybe if they think the appeal is ridiculous make them pay all the costs, I have witnessed some ridiculous appeals that have been successful. To increase is not a fair system.

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

Was the ban extended at the initial hearing to contest the charge? Assume it can be appealed?

I think Saints have shown that you just keep appealling until they get bored and let you off. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

No it was increased after the appeal.

So, it was the second hearing to contest the charge? My understanding was the system was the MRP gives out the charges and penalties, clubs/players can then contest the charge (often referred to as an appeal), and then can appeal the result of that hearing

3 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

It's made even more weird that Matty Lees appealed the same charge(Grade B shoulder charge - 1 match ban) in the same way(pleaded guilty but challenged the grading) and had his downgraded to fine only whilst George Williams had an extra game added. Now i'm sure there is a good explanation to why they are 2 very different cases/decisions - except the RFL doesn't seem to release minutes from the appeal. 

It really does boggle the mind.

Perhaps it depends which club you play for 😉

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Neither can I although I haven’t gone looking for them every week.

It does seem as if the appeal must have been ridiculously petty as our disciplinary seemed to have reduced the bans whilst introducing more monetary fines.

If anything the disciplinary has been incredibly lenient this year, both on initial bans and downgrading on appeal. Leigh even appealed Kai O'Donell's 6 game ban(which even the most ardent Leigh fan would say we got off lightly with) and that one didn't get deemed 'frivolous'!