England v Tonga series

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Genuine question.  Can anyone tell me exactly what the RFL (SL or any other body) exactly have done, or planned, to entice crowds to the 3 Tests?
Is there anywhere online that shows this?  

the girl who works on the front desk at the RFL rang her mum to tell her next door neighbour Brenda it was on 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 21/10/2023 at 13:23, Jack GB said:

Not sure I 100% agree with this - if we look into attracting the general sports fan. NZ are quite recognisable in the overall sporting landscape (RL, RU, Cricket,) - i wouldn't say the same yet for Tonga. 

I would say though to a die hard RL fan Tonga at full strength are right up there as a team i would want to see though. 

Clearly there aren't many of these around nowadays. Never mind attracting casual fans, i have heard so much negative comment about these and other internationals it does, at times, make me wonder why the RFL bothers. I was at Huddersfield yesterday and enjoyed the occasion of being at an international, as I always do - maybe I'm just an ancient RL tragic?

• Like 7

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 23/10/2023 at 14:47, Leonard said:

Same for the world cup - Irritating when you could have paid a quarter of the price for a better seat.

If they are really selling only every other row in the main stand at Huddersfield and making people pay £30 to sit in the corners when there are rows of empty seats centrally, that is criminal.

It was busy round us at Huddersfield, but 11,000 was a bit of a poor effort I thought. Also irritated by a bunch of beery clowns from Featherstone in front of us who ran 'pint-p!55-repeat' on a five minute cycle for the whole game. Up and down like a bride's nightie all afternoon - we missed the first try. If people want to spend £40, and then drink themselves stupid all day, why not drink at home, watch it on TV and annoy fewer people. (rant over)

• Like 4

On 28/10/2023 at 10:32, Chrispmartha said:

Tried to get a ticket this morning and they’ve taken it off the ticketing site, I really can’t be bothered with the ticket office so ill watch it on TV

That's standard for football grounds nowadays and they were probably using the same protocols.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 28/10/2023 at 15:28, St Reatham said:

Was the cost of hiring a stadium in London the reason why there isn’t a game there?

Yes, this is why RL stadiums were chosen. The RFL was hoping to make a profit.

11 minutes ago, Billy King's Boots said:

It was busy round us at Huddersfield, but 11,000 was a bit of a poor effort I thought. Also irritated by a bunch of beery clowns from Featherstone in front of us who ran 'pint-p!55-repeat' on a five minute cycle for the whole game. Up and down like a bride's nightie all afternoon - we missed the first try. If people want to spend £40, and then drink themselves stupid all day, why not drink at home, watch it on TV and annoy fewer people. (rant over)

Sounds like what i had in front of me, block 4 Core lower?

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

I agree with pretty much everything you say here. Nonetheless, if filling a 24K stadium (or even getting a 20K crowd) in the heart of West Yorkshire, for a rare England international, is seen as unachievable then maybe it's time to throw the towel in? 

And yes, even with headingley having a game next week. 

Even with the 'Headingley having a game next week' effect, there's only 22,500 tickets been sold for the two games thus far. Given that there will be plenty attending both games, and some from outside the Kirklees/Leeds areas, I think it is still poor.

There's still 7,000+ standing tickets left to sell at Headingley, so the aggregate crowd for the three games is loitering around the 35k mark currently, with little chance of making 40k.

Edited by Northern Eel

hate to say this - and been watching the game over 40 years - spent thousands on going to hundreds of games in that time - hate to say this but - am finding this Manchester derby more entertaining and exiting than yesterdays game for the 1st time ever- it cant be me cos I  still adore watching NRL above all else 

• Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The RFL will now be facing a financial hit. They stated that they needed this series to get minimum 50k attendance across the 3 matches, that is now mathematically impossible.

Is the above likely to affect the chances of Samoa visiting next year?

What will we do instead if that option isn't now viable?

14 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, this is why RL stadiums were chosen. The RFL was hoping to make a profit.

there in lies the problem

it has been proven time and time again that having 3 tests in M62 will result in a loss for the RFL

Therefore they need to try something new.

so the question is if they rented a 30K ish stadium in London, (both the valley and Selhurst park are about 26 / 27K, Fulham is 25K), Stadium MK is I think around 30K. What ticket prices would be needed to make a profit?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Billy King's Boots said:

'pint-p!55-repeat' on a five minute cycle for the whole game. Up and down like a bride's nightie all afternoon - we missed the first try. If people want to spend £40, and then drink themselves stupid all day, why not drink at home, watch it on TV and annoy fewer people. (rant over)

I think they need to look at having alcohol sections/rows at matches, because I agree that it's incredibly annoying.

The first experience I had of it was watching rugby union at the Spurs Stadium - having to constantly stand up to let someone past with a drink or to go to the toilet. Like you say, you can't see the action for 10 or so seconds while you're faffing about. Plus I was there with my dad who is registered disabled and he shouldn't have to keep standing up every couple of minutes because someone wants a pint!

It's fine at cricket because people can move about between overs and there are other natural delays (wickets) that mean it's not so obstructive.

It's definitely something they've got to look at it, because it really put me off. Just have different areas or rows for people that want different things. It's surely not that difficult to find a solution that allows everyone to maximise their enjoyment.

• Like 1

Challenge (and opportunity) for the RFL.

All seats sold for Headingley, terraces (we hope) filling up. ENG-TON series decided but ENG-WAL a real opportunity to present the women's game in a fantastic light. The BBC seem contractually obliged to push women's sport (I'm happy with that) so what will we do to get the fans in early, big up the lasses, and generally squeeze as much attention as we can on to Jodie and co? Over to the RFL ...

I always wonder if somewhere like Milton Keynes could be a good shout? A lot cheaper than London, and easy to get to from London and the North West. It's a area starved of any real top level sport or events. I realise the home countries is genuinely rah rah territory, but if we put the effort in, you never know. And I don't mean a one off WC game on a Monday night between two small Island nations most people haven't heard of. I'm thinking one England test every year for 5 years guaranteed. Something like that to try and build an audience. 

• Like 3