Sun 22 Oct: International: England v Tonga (at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens) KO 2.30pm

Who will win?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/23 at 14:00

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Good question. 22 is young for a captain, in any sport.

What other candidates were there, and why might they have been overlooked in favour of Welsby?

Is it likely to be a permanent appointment, or just filling in for a game or so?

Hill, Whitehead, Farrell, Burgess, Bateman? 

Haven't they captained before?

Maybe they think Welsby is a "big name, star player" kind of thing?

Can't say I'm happy about it, he's too emotional for me, all that throwing/kicking the ball into opposition fans etc doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by meast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Can't say I'm happy about it, he's too emotional for me, all that throwing/kicking the ball into opposition fans etc doesn't sit well with me.

Whitehead was captain of the Raiders this year.

Farrell captain of Wigan.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Whitehead was captain of the Raiders this year.

Farrell captain of Wigan.

Welsby would be a better England captain than Farrell. Full back is a great place to have a captain, and maybe the responsibility will concentrate his mind somewhat. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Strange then that he's gone with Welsby?

Certainly surprised me.

With Williams at 28, you would expect him to be around a few years yet and so for the ban, I would have expected Wane to turn to one of the older heads.  No guarantee that Whitehead or Farrell will play with Bateman there as well but you would expect one of them would and there are others with bags of experience.

Welsby has loads of experience for a younger player as well I guess.  Can't say he strikes me as being really mature with a leadership head but we are really just observing from afar, no idea what he is like in training, around the team etc.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Welsby has loads of experience for a younger player as well I guess.  Can't say he strikes me as being really mature with a leadership head but we are really just observing from afar, no idea what he is like in training, around the team etc.

It's odd because while I would tend to say that I wanted the captain to have a calm head etc. there's actually quite a few examples of good captains that haven't really fitted that description at all. I'm more knowledgeable about football, so I'd list the likes of Cantona, Keane, Rooney, even Beckham in his earlier days.

Perhaps in rugby league, Shaun Edwards? I remember him being sent off for clotheslining someone in the 1994 Ashes 1st test when he was captain, but I've watched a few old GB games and he was quite feisty at times.

• Like 1

Is this game not on TV anywhere?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

BBC1.  BBC2 in Wales.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, meast said:

From experience, Chris Hill plays much better without the responsibility of captaincy.  Whitehead would be my choice but Welsby may be an inspired one 🤞

• Like 2

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Whilst it is surprising I don't mind Welsby being captain as he will be a mainstay of this England team for years to come. Captaincy can also help some players mature so it may well help Welsby's game too. Some of the older names mentioned would all have question marks over their selection for me too and a captain should be a shoe in to play and play the full game too.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

Whilst it is surprising I don't mind Welsby being captain as he will be a mainstay of this England team for years to come. Captaincy can also help some players mature so it may well help Welsby's game too. Some of the older names mentioned would all have question marks over their selection for me too and a captain should be a shoe in to play and play the full game too.

Wane’s big strength is he man management he must feel this is the way to get the best out of Welsby. 

• Like 2

• John Drake changed the title to Sun 22 Oct: International: England v Tonga (at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens) KO 2.30pm
13 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

No Jake Wardle or Herbie Farnworth?

Not in the 24 man squad. Both injured. 

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not in the 24 man squad. Both injured. 

Fair enough. That’s a shame though as I’d liked to have seen a backline with both those and Young. Test of our strength in depth in the backline for  this series then

8 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Fair enough. That’s a shame though as I’d liked to have seen a backline with both those and Young. Test of our strength in depth in the backline for  this series then

Agreed. A centre pairing of Wardle and Farnworth and two wingers from Makinson, Young and Johnstone looks really good.  Hopefully we see them together soon.

20 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I think Koula would have been better at FB, but if it's going to be a wet, slogging affair I can see the benefit of an old head at the back.

Yeah not a fan of Hopoate. Just way to slow.

The few times Koula has been given a chance at FB for Manly he’s been electric.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Yeah not a fan of Hopoate. Just way to slow.

The few times Koula has been given a chance at FB for Manly he’s been electric.

I think having him on the wing lessens his impact. His support play up the middle and his breaks would have given an energy and fizz.

Hope it doesn't backfire for the Tongans.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

After sticking a ton on Tonga to win the WC at 14s and smugly thinking about how to spend my cash, I won’t be backing them in the Northern Hemisphere again. 

8 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I think having him on the wing lessens his impact. His support play up the middle and his breaks would have given an energy and fizz.

Hope it doesn't backfire for the Tongans.

• Haha 1