Sun 22 Oct: International: England v Tonga (at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens) KO 2.30pm

Who will win?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/23 at 14:00

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I feel a bit harsh critiquing Lees because I think he did a great job on Fanua-Blake early in the game stopping his momentum with some superb low tackles.

But over the 80, I do think we need more from a front rower.

I don’t think you are overly harsh. Lees’ strength is his defence, line speed and engine. It’s excellent. But at this level, his lack of size when carrying the ball is very apparent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don’t think you are overly harsh. Lees’ strength is his defence, line speed and engine. It’s excellent. But at this level, his lack of size when carrying the ball is very apparent. 

Is Walmsley unavailable?

1/ Welsby not his best game but a couple of bits of class  

2/Makinson again not his best and if young is fit may lose his spot. 

3/ and 4/ again not there best games but did a job although a few misreads in defense I’d expect Farnworth and Wardle to replace them if fit. 

5/ Johnstone quality keeps his spot

6/ Lewis some bits of class but also some poor discipline with the ball steals but keeps his place

7/ Smith did what was expected of him keeps his place. 

8/ Lees for me he keeps his place but understand if people want prop who bends the line more 

9/ Clarke keeps his place

10/ Burgess keeps his spot

11/ Bateman keeps his spot

12/ Whitehead keeps his spot

13/ Radley quite for him after that early knock but has to start again next week

14/ walker who else is there so gets another chance next week

15/Knowles showed the importance of having him on the bench in next week  

16/ Hill did nothing wrong but it’s here I’d consider bringing in a Dupree or Mulherne

17/ McMeeken great off the bench plays next week. 

wasn’t any really poor performances but certainly room for improvement next week. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

1/ Welsby not his best game but a couple of bits of class  

2/Makinson again not his best and if young is fit may lose his spot. 

3/ and 4/ again not there best games but did a job although a few misreads in defense I’d expect Farnworth and Wardle to replace them if fit. 

5/ Johnstone quality keeps his spot

6/ Lewis some bits of class but also some poor discipline with the ball steals but keeps his place

7/ Smith did what was expected of him keeps his place. 

8/ Lees for me he keeps his place but understand if people want prop who bends the line more 

9/ Clarke keeps his place

10/ Burgess keeps his spot

11/ Bateman keeps his spot

12/ Whitehead keeps his spot

13/ Radley quite for him after that early knock but has to start again next week

14/ walker who else is there so gets another chance next week

15/Knowles showed the importance of having him on the bench in next week  

16/ Hill did nothing wrong but it’s here I’d consider bringing in a Dupree or Mulherne

17/ McMeeken great off the bench plays next week. 

wasn’t any really poor performances but certainly room for improvement next week. 

Think that tells us the squad is thin tbh more than anything else, as Clarke was ok but not a roby in his prime, Bateman, whitehead radley all poor for me, Newman too, walker didn’t get long so he as to have another chance and no one else, half’s have to stay no one else but wouldn’t drop either, lees good but nothing special, think their was more than half the team off it today tbh. 

Got lucky in the Glass Horse and managed to nab a table against potentially insurmountable queues and odds ...nice feed and beers 

Shame we were in the non sunny West stand but enjoyed the action and atmosphere 

Family one done now for the boys weekend in Huddy 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 2

I've been out today but just watched as live.

Good test match, two capable sides and both gave a decent account of themselves. This isn't me having a go at St Helens, but I have noticed that the Totally Wicked pitch has been pretty heavy going over the last few months and both sides coped well considering.

For me the best England players were McMeeken, Welsby, Johnstone, and - with the ball - Lewis. You want guys who look like they want to be there and England showed up with a good attitude. Tonga have got enough skill and power to worry anybody, so hopeful they will come back even stronger next week.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Pretty good game which sets it up for a quality test series. It's always great to watch international Rugby League at this time of year. Its still the pinnacle of the game for me and nothing beats it.

I'm made up for Mikey Lewis, he played really well, and loved the raw emotion of his interview at the end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Bateman stood out a mile in his first NRL year mate...he was incredible for Canberra 

Yeah, Bateman got Dally M second row of the year in the NRL in his first year.

To suggest he hasn't stood out in the NRL is a crazy statement.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I thought Tonga really tired in the last 30. It could be because they haven’t played in a while or it could be because England kept the ball in play and tired out their middles. Perhaps both. But we could see a difference next week, if the former, which would be ominous because we struggled to hold them at times 

9 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This isn't me having a go at St Helens, but I have noticed that the Totally Wicked pitch has been pretty heavy going over the last few months and both sides coped well considering.

Given that Wakefield & Doncaster area has had over 10cm of rain since Wednesday, it could've been considerably worse - it looked like St. Helens and the northwest generally had missed the worst of the storm.

Looking at the squad, there are clearly a lot of good players who were unavailable. Plus, comparing this squad with the World Cup, we have a lot of new players to integrate. To beat that Tonga side against that backdrop is some achievement. I would happily see Young come in (though Makinson is a terrific player, so the difference isn’t huge). I would like us to try Dupree and Mulhearn replacing Lees and Hill, and think Farrell is at least as good over as this version of Whitehead. 

Only the English would ban as important a player as Williams. 

Over 500 boys, girls and parents/ volunteers from my old amateur team, Halton Farnworth Hornets, in attendance. Great to see so many kids from other local amateur teams running round the stands in their kit too. I don't think there's many other international sports where you'd see that - maybe women's football? Also great to see Shaun Wane posing for photos with all and sundry before and after the match.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2023 at 14:35, Exiled Wiganer said:

Welsby would be a better England captain than Farrell. Full back is a great place to have a captain, and maybe the responsibility will concentrate his mind somewhat. 

Certainly no problem with Welsby as Captain, despite his obvious shortcoming. He interviewed very well. However, my personal preference is for a Captain  to be closer to the action in order to command and control the team.

Edited by JohnM

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I thought Tonga really tired in the last 30. It could be because they haven’t played in a while or it could be because England kept the ball in play and tired out their middles. Perhaps both. But we could see a difference next week, if the former, which would be ominous because we struggled to hold them at times 

True but our big men were short of game time as well.  Tom Burgess hadn't played since the 5th of August and Chris Hill had one run since the 27th August.  The game time will have done them as much good as the Tongans.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Quality game and a great start to the series, Lewis and Smith worked well for me and i'd happily keep them together if they play well next week too.

Looking forward to next week and for those still banging on about not being in London/Coventry/Worcester/St Albans/Penzance etc give ti a rest we've know for ages now where they are going to be so save your breath and either accept it or don't.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yeah, Bateman got Dally M second row of the year in the NRL in his first year.

To suggest he hasn't stood out in the NRL is a crazy statement.

That was 20 years ago( joke but you get my point) thurston handley edwards etc were good once upon a time doesn’t mean they are now. Bateman as had 3 good RL years at best his last stint at Wigan wasn’t anything special. Just think we should be looking to future now hill whitehead and Bateman are past their best for me. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

That was 20 years ago( joke but you get my point) thurston handley edwards etc were good once upon a time doesn’t mean they are now. Bateman as had 3 good RL years at best his last stint at Wigan wasn’t anything special. 

If that was your point then you probably should have been clearer. You said he hasn't stood out in the NRL and that's not true.

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Could have been, I only got a quick glimpse of the photo, as I was busy preparing food during the interval.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

You know I said that right away 

4 hours ago, dkw said:

Was it not that commentator, Coleman?

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Possibly some club official or whoever.

Tsk, it was Parry Gordon. My Dad's hero and he texted me straight away.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.