2024 Transfer Tracker

5 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Meh. Ideally, our best club (arguably), shouldn't be signing a player who isn't in the top 25 in his position.

He's a good signing. One of the better outside backs in SL, can play two positions, and only contracted for one year.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 00:19, Magic Superbeetle said:

I mean, Bennisons bigger problem is Robertson, Roberts and Whitby all coming through the academy in the spine and all potentially challenging for a starting spot in the next 3 years. All three are incredibly highly rated by the Saints coaching staff. 

As a fullback Bennison hasn’t really shown much of a passing game which is critical in modern RL, and as a winger he can’t take early carries in sets and gets too easily dominated (same with Ritson which I am firmly in the Blake to play on the wing camp). There’s no doubting he is a talented RL player, who is capable of some highlight reel stuff, and has the indefinable talent of being in the right place at the right time (as scoring in the 2022 semi and grand final shows), and a likeable lad to boot. I just don’t know what his position is. If he does gain some weight and strength over the offseason, and can develop some footwork at the line he could make it as a winger, or maybe even centre if he bulks out more. 

But competition for places is only a good thing and I’m sure Bennison, Ritson, Davies, Sambou and Vaughan will all be pushing Blake and Hurrell for their spot.

Most quick wingers will often get trapped when recieving kicks to the corner and returning. They would score 20 trys a game otherwise. Ashton is exactly the same, as is swift and so on. It's only part of their game to be good at catching ihe high balls then gsining a few yards and either passing to the second row or centre if it's on or take the tackle. You cannot expect a winger built for speed and agility to crack a solid defensive line any more than once or twice in a game unless it is a poor opposition. They all get tagged, even French and Field in returning from deep high balls to the corner. The issue then with Blake is he is known for being very suspect under those high balls to the corners. 

Edited by Johnny Ringo

54 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Most quick wingers will often get trapped when recieving kicks to the corner and returning. They would score 20 trys a game otherwise. Ashton is exactly the same, as is swift and so on. It's only part of their game to be good at catching ihe high balls then gsining a few yards and either passing to the second row or centre if it's on or take the tackle. You cannot expect a winger built for speed and agility to crack a solid defensive line any more than once or twice in a game unless it is a poor opposition. They all get tagged, even French and Field in returning from deep high balls to the corner. The issue then with Blake is he is known for being very suspect under those high balls to the corners. 

There’s a difference between getting trapped and generating momentum. The key difference between the players you mention (Ashton, French  etc) and Bennison or Ritson is even when they are trapped they still tend to use late footwork to land on their front, which helps generate momentum. Regan Grace was a master at this, so even when he wasn’t bursting through the line, he and Makinson could start Saints sets off quickly which had a cumulative effect on the set. Bennison and Ritson are too often completely dominated, generate a slow play the ball, when means defensive lines are ready for Makinson which stunts the progress of the set. 

So much of the way Saints play and attack is based on that momentum and the lack of it created by either Ritson or Bennison contributed significantly to our overall attack last season (compounded by an injured Lomax and woefully out of form Dodd). There’s no reason why either Bennison or Ritson can’t improve landing on their front in the off-season, but Blake offers a different way to generate that momentum.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 12/01/2024 at 12:35, Damien said:

I don't particularly see SL clubs signing a large number of cheap NSW and Queensland Cup players on the back of visa changes because if they wish to be competitive they should be setting their targets on a better calibre of player. Obviously there will be the odd exception, as there always has been, but I don't see those numbers increasing.

That's quite different than visa changes potentially meaning lower league clubs take the easy route of signing cheap overseas players who aren't good enough for SL or the NRL instead of developing their own.

I’d have thought it was obvious.

Most no SL clubs can’t afford to run academies and Reserves. Especially since central funding was cut to virtually nothing!

Those that do get the scraps player wise, with Wigan and Leeds in particular grabbing nearly all the talent, and then hoarding it.

Its SL clubs who get all the money so surely it’s their job to create most of the games young players. Players who they should be playing more often or moving them on to a second chance club if they are not intending to keep them.

Then the Championship clubs can pick up these young players and give them a platform. Many will then blossom and possibly re-enter the SL at some point.

It used to happen all the time and produced a very useful second wave of players, some even went onto top honours.

In fairness to SL clubs, it is often the case that Championship clubs simply can’t offer the wages these youngsters want and many are simply lost to the game. When Aldi pay £15 ph it’s hard to keep players interested in what is hardly a glamorous level of RL.

We need to find a better gateway for players to drop down. That leadership needs to come from SL as they have the bulk of the games resources.

Feeder clubs and a stand alone second tier competition with no PR is probably the answer. Allowing players to retain their links with their parent clubs. But I doubt the tribes nature of our game will buy that.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I’d have thought it was obvious.

Most no SL clubs can’t afford to run academies and Reserves. Especially since central funding was cut to virtually nothing!

Those that do get the scraps player wise, with Wigan and Leeds in particular grabbing nearly all the talent, and then hoarding it.

Its SL clubs who get all the money so surely it’s their job to create most of the games young players. Players who they should be playing more often or moving them on to a second chance club if they are not intending to keep them.

Then the Championship clubs can pick up these young players and give them a platform. Many will then blossom and possibly re-enter the SL at some point.

It used to happen all the time and produced a very useful second wave of players, some even went onto top honours.

In fairness to SL clubs, it is often the case that Championship clubs simply can’t offer the wages these youngsters want and many are simply lost to the game. When Aldi pay £15 ph it’s hard to keep players interested in what is hardly a glamorous level of RL.

We need to find a better gateway for players to drop down. That leadership needs to come from SL as they have the bulk of the games resources.

Feeder clubs and a stand alone second tier competition with no PR is probably the answer. Allowing players to retain their links with their parent clubs. But I doubt the tribes nature of our game will buy that.

That's a long post nothing to do with clubs signing players due to visa changes. These players aren't moving across the world for 15k so its a false equivalence.

None of what you say doesn't mean that lower league clubs can't sign English players and develop them. They can still provide a route for the best amateur players and certainly should be providing a route for the best players in their area.

Wigan and Leeds do not sign every young player going, that's blatantly not the case. Young players do still frequently drop down the leagues and developing your own at a part time level doesn't need academies. Clubs signing  more overseas players blocks this.

If it's as you say it's not glamorous enough for others then that's up to the clubs and the competition to change that. Other sports have no issue with attracting players to play on a part time basis and it's certainly not just about the money. The trouble is too many clubs want to pretend to be a professional club while failing to do many of the things that are needed of one.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 12:48, Magic Superbeetle said:

There’s a difference between getting trapped and generating momentum. The key difference between the players you mention (Ashton, French  etc) and Bennison or Ritson is even when they are trapped they still tend to use late footwork to land on their front, which helps generate momentum. Regan Grace was a master at this, so even when he wasn’t bursting through the line, he and Makinson could start Saints sets off quickly which had a cumulative effect on the set. Bennison and Ritson are too often completely dominated, generate a slow play the ball, when means defensive lines are ready for Makinson which stunts the progress of the set. 

So much of the way Saints play and attack is based on that momentum and the lack of it created by either Ritson or Bennison contributed significantly to our overall attack last season (compounded by an injured Lomax and woefully out of form Dodd). There’s no reason why either Bennison or Ritson can’t improve landing on their front in the off-season, but Blake offers a different way to generate that momentum.

Got to disagree, Blake at center then yes, on the wing? Known as being very suspect under the high balls, fumbles too many which gives teams possession metres out, the reason he was dropped for most part of the last season and no doubt the opposition will target this. I'd rather have safe hands, a pass or take the ball in and win a penalty than lose it metres out in the corner. I don't see many SL games but with the Barrow interest I did watch some and Ritson did actually make several breaks and good meters in the limited games he played.

Cooper Johns really taking a break from NRL? after not been offered a new contract or putting himself in the shop window for a SL club ?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Jack Campagnolo to London. Okay signing, one of the best half’s in second grade rugby but London do need to start signing some first graders. 

He’s probably about the same level as Meadows, maybe a bit better but I would have liked them to sign a player with first grade experience for such an important position.

17 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Jack Campagnolo to London. Okay signing, one of the best half’s in second grade rugby but London do need to start signing some first graders. 

He’s probably about the same level as Meadows, maybe a bit better but I would have liked them to sign a player with first grade experience for such an important position.

They need to really gear up to succeed in Super League.

• Like 4

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

15 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

From the stats last seaso. Jack scored the same points as Oli Leyland who is still at Broncos and who did have the 6 shirt for 3 years although he scored more tries. Not sure of Meadows stats but wasn’t impressive against his old club when playing for Batley. Mike and London talk about looking after their home grown players and then announce numbers with no mention of those who scored the points to get them to the play offs . I agree a more experienced half and wing as well as a back rower are needed and I hope this Jack can step up but not much to go on and certainly not a Corey Norman! 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

There signings haven't been horrible, it’s just that there recruitment has been entirely from second grade football besides Kennedy. The only players they have that have ever played first grade will be Miloudi, Walker, Butler, Kennedy and Adebiyi. None of whom were great contributors in SL. 

It seems unlikely that so many players will step up to the new level, maybe 3 or 4 guys have a good season other than that I can see London really struggling. 

It looks like Kershaw may be coming, which would be a fantastic signing and probably there best yet, but a winger cannot carry a team. Hopefully they pick up a few loans from top SL clubs, Maybe guys like Royle, Harvie Hill, Rouge etc.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Got to disagree, Blake at center then yes, on the wing? Known as being very suspect under the high balls, fumbles too many which gives teams possession metres out, the reason he was dropped for most part of the last season and no doubt the opposition will target this. I'd rather have safe hands, a pass or take the ball in and win a penalty than lose it metres out in the corner. I don't see many SL games but with the Barrow interest I did watch some and Ritson did actually make several breaks and good meters in the limited games he played.

Again, very suspect under the high ball kicked by Nathan Cleary, and very suspect under the high ball in Super League is two very different things. Especially when teams are kicking into the face of Saints defence which tends to be … ahem … in the face of the kicker. Everything about Blake strikes me as a confidence player, and we have tended to do well with those types of players over the last few years.

Ritson was poor for Saints last season in all facets of his game and legitimately lost his place to Bennison and Hopoate (the latter of which was plodding to retirement). I don’t doubt he can improve with another offseason under his belt, but virtually all aspects need improvement, particularly positioning in both defence and attack along with the aforementioned late footwork. He was able to use his pace in the championship to cover those mistakes, but he got found out more than once. 

Even in the situation Blake drops a clanger once a game, I back Saints defence to manage that, and the benefit of returning to our attacking structures far outweigh the downside. On the flip side, if we stick with Ritson or Bennison as first choice, I don’t see significant improvement in our attack which is needed - as points difference was the difference between 1st and 3rd. Of course, no WCC distraction and an improved form of Dodd and Lomax may be enough to cover that gap, but I would be signficantly more confident with Blake returning the ball as well.

Anyway, I’m conscious this isn’t a Saints thread so will leave it there. I’m sure there’ll be a best 17s thread a some point to debate ad infinitum, along with some more controversial Saints opinions I have (Knowles should move permanently to prop with Bell and Wingfield rotating at Lock. The rotation of Knowles, Lees, Walmsley and Delaney would be the best prop rotation in the league).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latchford albion said:

I like this latest signing but London have put together a squad for the Championship. I can't see what they intend to gain from 2024 - other than the central funding.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I like this latest signing but London have put together a squad for the Championship. I can't see what they intend to gain from 2024 - other than the central funding.

Given their IMG indicative score, is this really a surprise?

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

There signings haven't been horrible, it’s just that there recruitment has been entirely from second grade football besides Kennedy. The only players they have that have ever played first grade will be Miloudi, Walker, Butler, Kennedy and Adebiyi. None of whom were great contributors in SL. 

It seems unlikely that so many players will step up to the new level, maybe 3 or 4 guys have a good season other than that I can see London really struggling. 

It looks like Kershaw may be coming, which would be a fantastic signing and probably there best yet, but a winger cannot carry a team. Hopefully they pick up a few loans from top SL clubs, Maybe guys like Royle, Harvie Hill, Rouge etc.

Kershaw is a good honest player who gives everything & wears his heart on his sleeve but don’t build him up too much, plenty of defensive frailties in his game. For the record I’d have loved to have kept him at Wakey, don’t know went on with that one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Kershaw is a good honest player who gives everything & wears his heart on his sleeve but don’t build him up too much, plenty of defensive frailties in his game. For the record I’d have loved to have kept him at Wakey, don’t know went on with that one. 

Yeah I don’t mean to hype him up, just saying out of all of londons sigings he is/might be the best one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wakeyranger said:

Hearing Ky Rodwell to Wakey. Can't say I know anything about him. Still another young Aussie with something to prove. Can't grumble.

Really good signing that, one of the best fowards in the NSW cup. On the fringes of Parras squad but he is great player for championship level. Not sure he will improve to much, he is already 24, but he is already a very solid contributor.

Good signing if it happens. Probably not totally necessary as Wakefields pack is already stacked but would be good addition.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Really good signing that, one of the best fowards in the NSW cup. On the fringes of Parras squad but he is great player for championship level. Not sure he will improve to much, he is already 24, but he is already a very solid contributor.

Good signing if it happens. Probably not totally necessary as Wakefields pack is already stacked but would be good addition.

Sounds good to me. Hopefully it's more than just talk.

14 hours ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Yeah really weird how Championship level signings and 2nd tier level Aussies, who haven't even played in the NRL, keep being hyped up to be great signings for a SL club.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Why should London be bothered about anything else Archie, they are effectively removed from SL before they have kicked a ball.

• Like 6

On 15/01/2024 at 22:11, Morris Wanchuk said:

Can’t agree, his defence is fine imo.

His problem is that he doesn’t fit the modern game all that well.

He’s not got the finesse or athletics of a Tom Johnstone. Nor does he have quite the physical presence of a Ryan Hall, though he sure tries. He doesn’t fit into either of those two styles.

However his biggest weakness is that he’s not a natural try scorer. He scores a fair few but he doesn’t conjure many and is prone to being slightly off the pace and bombing some real sitters.

That said he’s still SL squad player level, great cover for most clubs but unlikely to ever be a first choice imho.

We didn’t keep him because he didn’t want to be in a championship team I’m told. Fair enough but if he ends up at London he’s kind of forced that to happen anyway. Be especially brutal for him if we replace London.

On 15/01/2024 at 20:46, Magic Superbeetle said:

Again, very suspect under the high ball kicked by Nathan Cleary, and very suspect under the high ball in Super League is two very different things. Especially when teams are kicking into the face of Saints defence which tends to be … ahem … in the face of the kicker. Everything about Blake strikes me as a confidence player, and we have tended to do well with those types of players over the last few years.

Ritson was poor for Saints last season in all facets of his game and legitimately lost his place to Bennison and Hopoate (the latter of which was plodding to retirement). I don’t doubt he can improve with another offseason under his belt, but virtually all aspects need improvement, particularly positioning in both defence and attack along with the aforementioned late footwork. He was able to use his pace in the championship to cover those mistakes, but he got found out more than once. 

Even in the situation Blake drops a clanger once a game, I back Saints defence to manage that, and the benefit of returning to our attacking structures far outweigh the downside. On the flip side, if we stick with Ritson or Bennison as first choice, I don’t see significant improvement in our attack which is needed - as points difference was the difference between 1st and 3rd. Of course, no WCC distraction and an improved form of Dodd and Lomax may be enough to cover that gap, but I would be signficantly more confident with Blake returning the ball as well.

Anyway, I’m conscious this isn’t a Saints thread so will leave it there. I’m sure there’ll be a best 17s thread a some point to debate ad infinitum, along with some more controversial Saints opinions I have (Knowles should move permanently to prop with Bell and Wingfield rotating at Lock. The rotation of Knowles, Lees, Walmsley and Delaney would be the best prop rotation in the league).

To say Ritson was poor last season is a joke, Wellens has several times given praise and he was offered a 2 yr deal to 2025 and option to extend to 2026 , a top club would not do that for a poor performance surely? 

Interestingly with a new centre arriving, Hurrell and Bennison are in the reserves squad playing Swinton.  Not sure how to read into that but it seems they both could be being considered back up players and non of the first choice 21 man squad players are being risked?