The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

The death of professional rugby league in the south.....a single low level semi pro team for 80% of the country it is then

Can't say I'm surprised but it'll cost the sport long term 

Wimbledon is way too hard to get to do for me anyway so I'll do what I did this year and just watch 2/3 LB games live.....then go up north to see real professional sport 

A shame but not unexpected 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

This is the bit I keep getting confused with. I thought Grade As we’re safe from relegation and the lowest finishing B gets relegated as long as a grade B wins the Championship GF. I didn’t think the amount of points counted other than to let you know how far or close you are from the relevant grade

If this was the case the gradings would be less contentious.

Edited by bigbaldnmad

Regarding the Cas situation, which seems pretty controversial I would say this:

If any other club were given a score which they then challenged through the provision of additional Information or amendment of the information prior to appeal deadline, as per the process which was clearly set out to clubs.  Then Cas have been treated unfairly - because they have been denied the opportunity to do the same (as there score was adjusted after the deadline and the rfl have refused to consider the additional information before releasing the grades).

If the rfl were unable to consider this information before the announcement they needed to delay the announcement until they could do so.

If this, as suggested has resulted in a 13th place and not 12th the impact could be significant in terms of fans, recruitment, employees and investment.

Which just isn't acceptable in a process which needs to be consider completely fair.

Obviously if the statement Cas have put out is factually incorrect and the above didn't happen then the rfl should respond to Grattons statement and correct him.

That's not withstanding the fact that Gratton needs to be gone from Cas, incompetent individual.

Edited by Gates1

6 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

The Bulls link the academy and other team's below with the Foundation. I believe this increases the score as linking with the community well.

How does that work then? The detailed guidelines that were published stated clearly that the points awarded were based solely on foundation turnover, as a proxy for community reach. That's it.

Having checked out the financial records of some foundations, Bradford would probably gain 0.25 points on some of their rivals. But that's nothing to do with academies or other teams.

13 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Regarding the Cas situation, which seems pretty controversial I would say this:

If any other club were given a score which they then challenged through the provision of additional Information or amendment of the information prior to appeal deadline as per the process which was clearly set out.  Then Cas have been treated unfairly - because they have been denied the opportunity to do the same (as there score was adjusted after the deadline and the rfl have refused to consider the additional information before releasing the grades).

If the rfl were unable to consider this information before the announcement they needed to delay the announcement until they could do so.

If this, as suggested has resulted in a 13th place and not 12th the impact could be significant in terms of fans, recruitment, employees and investment.

Which just isn't acceptable in a process which needs to be consider completely fair.

Obviously if the statement Cas have put out is factually incorrect and the above didn't happen then the rfl should respond to Grattons statement and correct him.

That's not withstanding the fact that Gratton needs to be gone from Cas, incompetent individual.

I think the key to this is that this is "indicative grading" and is a guide.. it is also there to iron these wrinkles out. That also, surely, includes the clubs ironing out issues like submitting the incorrect data in the first place which is impacting on their grading etc.. this isn't solely on IMG to fix its also on the clubs so that they know what they need to submit and submit correct data (as it has implications!)

Edited by RP London
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The death of professional rugby league in the south.....a single low level semi pro team for 80% of the country it is then

Can't say I'm surprised but it'll cost the sport long term 

Wimbledon is way too hard to get to do for me anyway so I'll do what I did this year and just watch 2/3 LB games live.....then go up north to see real professional sport 

A shame but not unexpected 

Why?  If London avoid finishing bottom they will not be relegated,  there seems to be a misconception that the grading determines who will be in the top 12, it doesn't with the exception of A graded teams, clubs outside the top 12 with a B grade can only be promoted if they win the championship grand final doesn't matter if their score is higher or lower than the bottom team if they are both B.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WiganBooney said:

Why?  If London avoid finishing bottom they will not be relegated,  there seems to be a misconception that the grading determines who will be in the top 12, it doesn't with the exception of A graded teams, clubs outside the top 12 with a B grade can only be promoted if they win the championship grand final doesn't matter if their score is higher or lower than the bottom team if they are both B.

I don't think that's correct.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I think that will be a consequence. Bridging the gap from 8 to 12.5 looks insurmountable.

This is where it would be good to see where london have scored poorly.. as has been stated there could be some places to get good and potentially large wins, and the document is very clear on scoring.. however, thats down to London to publish and then be held accountable for inaction.. 

It may well be as you say but equally it may not actually be that bad a situation for someone like London.

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

I think the key to this is that this is "indicative grading" and is a guide.. it is also their to iron these wrinkles out. That also, surely, includes the clubs ironing out issues like submitting the incorrect data in the first place which is impacting on their grading etc.. this isnt solely on IMG to fix its also on the clubs so that they know what they need to submit and submit correct data (as it has implications!)

Indicative doesn't mean it won't have an impact.  The impact on fans, employees, investors or any players the club (may wish to sign ,or renew contracts with could be significant).  The difference between 12th and 13th is the most significant placing too.  A club are been told that unless they improve more than other clubs they aren't in SL, that's significant.

If no other club submitted incorrect data, which was corrected by appeal against the score than fine, but if they did Cas have been treated differently, due to an error by the RFL.

Edited by Gates1

So if the doors were closed this year, Wakey would be kept up despite finishing bottom, but given the scores likely to change next year based on recent P+R/actually submitting the paperwork(Cas up, Wakey down, Leigh up) Wakey will be kept down even if they win the grand final.

12.something vs 12.something to decide a clubs future. Drawing a line in the sand at an arbitrary time is just as likely to make clubs below the line get weaker as it is to get clubs above the line stronger. It just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The title of this topic is "IMG Provisional Gradings" 

If that is the case, what happens between now  and the announcement of the actual Gradings?

Around another 300 pages I expect.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, WiganBooney said:

That would be ideal, but I'm pretty sure that it's been said that this will not happen.

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don't think that's correct.

Just re-read, you may be right for 2025 season but going forward beyond I think what I said still holds, for London there score should go up based on 2024 season but possibly not by enough to keep there spot???

3 minutes ago, WiganBooney said:

Just re-read, you may be right for 2025 season but going forward beyond I think what I said still holds, for London there score should go up based on 2024 season but possibly not by enough to keep there spot???

I don't think it does hold, there is no Automatic Promotion or relegation under the IMG system.

Happy to be proved incorrect but that's how I interpret it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Indicative doesn't mean it won't have an impact.  The impact on fans, employees, investors or any players the club (may wish to sign ,or renew contracts with could be significant).  The difference between 12th and 13th is the most significant placing too.  A club are been told that unless they improve more than other clubs they aren't in SL, that's significant.

If no other club submitted incorrect data, which was corrected by appeal against the score than fine, but if they did Cas have been treated differently, due to an error by the RFL.

and by themselves you cannot forget that, they have said they also made a mistake.

I, personally, think you are giving these gradings more impact/credit than they are going to have in terms of player signings etc.. even if it was you can just say "yes but that mistake was worth 0.5 points which puts us at x position" and jobs a good un.. 

50 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

IMG clarified before the clubs voted - some of them were unsure up to that point.

Super League will consist of the 12 highest ranked clubs based on the latest grading on an ongoing basis.

No point in London spending their Superleague money in 2024 then.

They may as well keep it.  They'll never make up 12 places in a year.

• Like 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

This year's PROVISIONAL gradings are not next year's actual gradings, which will have a whole new set of data in them. If there's a mistake this year it can be rectified, that's part of the reason of having a dry run. Any club, player or agent worth its salt will be able to work out where they will likely end up next year, it won't have the distorting effect you suggest.      

• Like 1