Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

19 hours ago, sam4731 said:

If Penrith lose 50-0, the NRL will give the same amount of F's as if they win it 50-0. i.e. Nada

They could try to pretend they were ignoring it for certain. But if their supermen were beaten twice in succession, by the inferior British teams, then whatever they may say publicly, that will hurt. 

And we can rub it in big time. It's all fuel to the fire. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

Couldn't we have a shot at a 50k+ ground in London?

I think you could get 30k+ in London for this match with the right lead in and marketing. Wigan are still a big name with casual sports fans and there's a begrudging respect for the NRL from RU fans in London who would be intrigued to see a team in the flesh. But with the initial outlay and risk associated it's going to be a non-starter unfortunately. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think you could get 30k+ in London for this match with the right lead in and marketing. Wigan are still a big name with casual sports fans and there's a begrudging respect for the NRL from RU fans in London who would be intrigued to see a team in the flesh. But with the initial outlay and risk associated it's going to be a non-starter unfortunately. 

Haven't Wigan earned the right to play in front of their own fans ?

I'd take the Etihad at a pinch but Wigan would sell out the DW in days , all 25000 seats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, del capo said:

Haven't Wigan earned the right to play in front of their own fans ?

I'd take the Etihad at a pinch but Wigan would sell out the DW in days , all 25000 seats.

That'd be fair.

I think i fancy this game if it is indeed in the UK. When are we likely to know based on previous years etc?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I agree. But I would think it at least worth sounding out a sponsor to see if the mix of London and the NRL, added to the name reognition of Wigan, might attract a bluechip and turn this into something bigger than usual.

To take this event to bigger stadiums would require more buy in from the NRL and competing NRL club. With the SL side usually having to foot the bill and provide guarantees it makes it difficult then to take the further risk of hiring a big stadium. It really needs a different approach from both the RFL and NRL to take the WCC to the next level.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

That'd be fair.

I think i fancy this game if it is indeed in the UK. When are we likely to know based on previous years etc?

Sat 24th feb being mooted. Latics at home that day to Cheltenham but that weekend is favourite. Penrith have been left out of the NRL trial matches for that weekend ( and the one before )....

On 11/11/2023 at 20:28, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

That's the truth isn't it, I've been to most of these games that have been held in the UK and whenever the Aussie team has lost and I hear that they weren't taking it seriously I'm always left thinking that they certainly were up until the final whistle went.

You only need to go back to the time Saints beat the Broncos, and the footage of Darren Lockyer sitting in the changing rooms all by himself half an hour after the game ended with his kit still on and a face like thunder, while club members tried to tell him it wasn't important and he should join the rest of the lads on the bus.

Think that was the one trophy he never won.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Human Punk said:

You only need to go back to the time Saints beat the Broncos, and the footage of Darren Lockyer sitting in the changing rooms all by himself half an hour after the game ended with his kit still on and a face like thunder, while club members tried to tell him it wasn't important and he should join the rest of the lads on the bus.

Think that was the one trophy he never won.

Think that may have been the game at Bolton where it started haile stoning after St Helens scored - Joynt I think, and Sean Long took an age to take the conversion while the Brisbane team scored. Didn't like Long much as a character, but in those few moments I loved him, sheer genius.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

To take this event to bigger stadiums would require more buy in from the NRL and competing NRL club. With the SL side usually having to foot the bill and provide guarantees it makes it difficult then to take the further risk of hiring a big stadium. It really needs a different approach from both the RFL and NRL to take the WCC to the next level.

Leeds used to play them at Elland Road. Always felt a bit more lowkey when at Headingley.

7 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

30 - 40 000 at the Etihad would be achievable 

But, but, but empty seats...

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.