Mark Nawaqanitawase to Sydney Roosters

The significance of this in the Australian sporting landscape is far less than if this had happened in England, IMO. NRL is far more popular than rugby and whilst this will be a blow to Australian Rugby, it won't send the same shockwaves that it would in England if a top union player came to RL. 

The equivalent in English terms is probably a guy like Freddie Steward or Harry Arundell - the latter of which was also being pursued by a couple of NRL teams. I think we're a million miles away from this being any kind of catalyst for change over here and we'll still see RL talent more likely to go to union than vice versa. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The significance of this in the Australian sporting landscape is far less than if this had happened in England, IMO. NRL is far more popular the rugby and whilst this will be a blow to Australian Rugby, it won't send the same shockwaves that it would in England if a top union player came to RL. 

The equivalent in English terms is probably a guy like Freddie Steward or Harry Arundell - the latter of which was also being pursued by a couple of NRL teams. I think we're a million miles away from this being any kind of catalyst for change over here and we'll still see RL talent more likely to go to union than vice versa. 

To be honest, I am not sure any of these cross code transfers have the same impact as they have in previous years.

One of the consequences of multi channels sports behind paywalls is that individual sportspeople (with the exception of football) don't have the profile of previous years.

While Freddie Steward or Harry Arundell are good players (in particular the latter), I don't think they would resonate massively with a typical League fan in the UK.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I am not sure any of these cross code transfers have the same impact as they have in previous years.

One of the consequences of multi channels sports behind paywalls is that individual sportspeople (with the exception of football) have the profile of previous years.

While Freddie Steward or Harry Arundell are good players (in particular the latter), I don't think they would resonate massively with a typical League fan in the UK.

I absolutely agree - those two rising stars are most likely 'never 'eard of 'em' characters to most in RL circles. I guess I more meant from a media perspective though - if either of them signed for a SL club it would be big news and raise a lot of eyebrows in the English RU world. I was also highlighting that the 'poor relation' complex RL suffers in the UK doesn't really bear true in Australia, where NRL contracts are as (if not more) lucrative than union. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

He`ll be on $450k per season at the Roosters, was on $600k per season with Australian union, and reportedly had a 3yr $1m per season offer from Japanese rugby union on the table.

I do expect him to return to union after his spell with the Roosters.

I think it was an itch that he needed to scratch, being a junior Rugby League player and his father being a Rugby League player.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I do expect him to return to union after his spell with the Roosters.

I think it was an itch that he needed to scratch, being a junior Rugby League player and his father being a Rugby League player.

If he enjoys his time playing RL again, I am not sure why he would return to RU afterwards. 

No one can predict the future, but I imagine if he cements a place in the first team and the Wallabies keep faltering then I am not sure what he would gain from going back.

I'd say he'll be in RL for a good time, not a long time - do an SBW of coming in and attemptimg to nab a Premiership.

The international set-up in RU will draw him back, especially with the lure of a home World Cup.

Playing club games - as top-notch as they are - is unlikely to keep current RU internationals for a long spell.

I think he'll go well on the left edge, and am looking forward to seeing him and Young on the wings for the Chooks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Click said:

then I am not sure what he would gain from going back.

Values of course, values.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

That name reminds me of when we were playing local football and we had a guy who’s family was from Poland and he had this really long name with z’s and everything in . He was a midfield enforcer and after another meaty challenge the ref blew up , got his note book out and called him over . He said what’s your name , got told , then after his pencil hovered over the paper , looked up and said ‘ right don’t do it again ‘ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 07/12/2023 at 17:42, burnleywelsh said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union

Nawaqanitawase 'DEFECTS' to Rugby League............

While Joseph Suaalii 'moves' to rugby union.......

The union hacks just can't help themselves can they...

Just noticed the 'defects' headline on the BBC website story has now been changed to 'switches'. Congrats to all on here who complained!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 08/12/2023 at 04:50, StandOffHalf said:

I'd say he'll be in RL for a good time, not a long time - do an SBW of coming in and attemptimg to nab a Premiership.

The international set-up in RU will draw him back, especially with the lure of a home World Cup.

Playing club games - as top-notch as they are - is unlikely to keep current RU internationals for a long spell.

I think he'll go well on the left edge, and am looking forward to seeing him and Young on the wings for the Chooks.

The Lions tour wasn’t a draw for him so no guarantee the World Cup will be

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DoubleD said:

And if he does want to return for the next RUWC, what will Australian RU be able to pay him?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kiwi Union player signed for Wests today also - or announced today. Haven't heard of him but ex-Chiefs player now playing at the level below. Think he's a winger.

Solomon Alaimalo

• Thanks 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Kiwi Union player signed for Wests today also - or announced today. Haven't heard of him but ex-Chiefs player now playing at the level below. Think he's a winger.

Solomon Alaimalo

Looking his Wikipedia page, he's changed clubs a lot in his career so far - seven since 2017.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Solomon Alaimalo

Kiwi bloke on the Aussie League forum tells that he was a bit of a gun youngster many tipped to be an All-Black, mental health issues saw him take a couple of years away from the game, perhaps he`s looking for a fresh start and a bit of a change of scenery.

On 10/12/2023 at 20:20, DoubleD said:

Not many expect the Aussies to be competitive against the Lions. The home WC allows them a bit more time to get things right.

All Black Caleb Clarke training/trained with Souths too - likely nothing in it as it was actively promoted by both club and player - but interesting none the less.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk