2024 attendance thread

57 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep....winning most games in a nice newly vamped stadium....very good chance of Wembley silverware too 

What's not to like being a Wakey fan this year 

Wish Broncos were in the same position !

There is a real feeling that it's the start of a really positive time for the club.

It won't all go Wakey's way, but it's nice to enjoy going to a game full of excitement and optimism, rather than dread.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

And in good news for the AFL haters, Gold Coast Suns dropped to a more familiar 11,000 as well last weekend.

Having watched the highlights, I think you are inaccurate on the “Collingwood fans” making up the bulk of the fans for week 1 though.

I can’t imagine anyone hates a game that means absolutely nothing to any of us. It is as relevant to our lives as the kangaroo racing in calgoolie (am guessing that’s a place name). Honestly this is a sad compulsion - surely they have their own web sites? If not, maybe you could set one up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

And in good news for the AFL haters, Gold Coast Suns dropped to a more familiar 11,000 as well last weekend.

Having watched the highlights, I think you are inaccurate on the “Collingwood fans” making up the bulk of the fans for week 1 though.

Are the Gold Coast residents just not a sporting public?

1 hour ago, going for the corner said:

Are the Gold Coast residents just not a sporting public?

Or just a public who expect to have a modicum of success now and again.

Look at the playing records of both codes over the last decade.

9 hours ago, dboy said:

There is a real feeling that it's the start of a really positive time for the club.

It won't all go Wakey's way, but it's nice to enjoy going to a game full of excitement and optimism, rather than dread.

Its a weird one isn't it. Going down is obviously doom and gloom, and there is always that overbearing desire to return to the top flight, but being good in the Second Division brings a real energy and positive vibe that being rubbish in the top flight doesn't.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I can’t imagine anyone hates a game that means absolutely nothing to any of us. It is as relevant to our lives as the kangaroo racing in calgoolie (am guessing that’s a place name). Honestly this is a sad compulsion - surely they have their own web sites? If not, maybe you could set one up. 

I was having a discussion with someone else. 

Your vehement posts demonstrate how emotional you are on the subject. There there.

45 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a weird one isn't it. Going down is obviously doom and gloom, and there is always that overbearing desire to return to the top flight, but being good in the Second Division brings a real energy and positive vibe that being rubbish in the top flight doesn't.

Yeah I am really pleased to see that crowd number for Wakefield. After so many years of stadium upgrade threads, it’s good to see some work completed and the immediate positive impact it has had on a team playing in a lower division. 

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think it's a combination of factors and it's pretty much a perfect storm when it comes to building up a club and getting fans engaged again. The new stand is now built and completed, a new moneyman coming in with plans to improve the club on and off the field, investment in the playing squad and then obviously the whole rebuild/new era vibe with a team that should dominate the Championship. Its pretty much everything you want.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Damien said:

Interestingly GWS only then got a rather pathetic crowd of 8,034 for their next game. This strongly suggests that a fairly large portion of the 21,235 crowd were away Collingwood fans, who are by some distance the best attended AFL team:

Widely reported that there was only about 4000 there, even f-ball followers on-line calling out the f-ball HQ for inflated numbers. The common theory was that f-ball were desperate to be able to boast a record opening weekend to counter the headline grabbing results of the NRL`s Vegas venture and corresponding opening round.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

50 chains then...rather than 5 furlongs

200 rods, poles or perches.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

But but but everyone loves fumblecheeserolling - ALL of Sydney can’t get enough of it. 

There`s your answer.

Call for help: Junior AFL clubs struggling for numbers – The Western Weekender The Western Weekender I Penrith News

Clubs folding or being forced to merge.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Damien said:

Wigan quickly sell out their Good Friday allocation without them even going on general sale. With Saints also selling out we have a Good Friday sellout already:

Is there only one round again over the Easter weekend?

28 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

How many on BBC? Do you know which one/s yet and what day?

The next SL game on BBC is Catalan v St. Helens on BBC 3 on 6th April AFAIK. None of the easter games.

• Sad 1

Just now, JonM said:

The next SL game on BBC is Catalan v St. Helens on BBC 3 on 6th April AFAIK. None of the easter games.

Ah that’s a shame. Would be great to get another big crowd on the Beeb for the Easter weekend when there would likely be a good televised audience as well

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonM said:

Warrington v Catalans on iPlayer on Easter Saturday is the best I can offer. Does strike as a bit of a shame but Sky probably wanted exclusivity considering this has been an ‘all televised’ round for a few years now 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Warrington v Catalans on iPlayer on Easter Saturday is the best I can offer. Does strike as a bit of a shame but Sky probably wanted exclusivity considering this has been an ‘all televised’ round for a few years now 

Any idea how many will be on Sky and how many will be streaming only?

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds united in the soccer Championship being a good parallel to Wakey this year 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redjonn said:

50 chains then...rather than 5 furlongs

Oh, good one that, had forgotten the chain. Length of a cricket pitch, of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if some kids these days didn't know spans and cubits. Comes in handy for building an ark out of gophar wood.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Or just a public who expect to have a modicum of success now and again.

Look at the playing records of both codes over the last decade.

True.

look at the playing record of the professional rugby league team in all its previous and current forms on the Gold Coast.