Last post

I feel sad writing this ,as a long standing poster with a decent record I have enjoyed this forum, not just for RL but the debates that happen without (generally) getting personal. I feel I have or the forum has outgrown me.

I feel when you are labeled at one extreme or another for asking questions or raising points it's an area we should avoid and that's why I have enjoyed this forum.

We rarely know each other(I have never met anyone on here) and are basically keyboard commentators.

I received comments personally I find offensive from someone I regard as a considered poster. And when to the decent posters become personal it's heading in the wrong direction.

To put some meat on my 2 dimensional username I am in my 60s played. ,coached and still watch and enjoy the game, I have always enjoyed discussing and even being the devil's advocate just to look at all aspects of a subject rather than attach myself to one end or the other. This attitude has helped me inside and outside of work when dealing with emotional subjects and situations.

I will sign out on registering this statement and will not return, I wish you all well and hope you get back to debating subjects in an open and tolerant manner.

Thanks Ian.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I feel sad writing this ,as a long standing poster with a decent record I have enjoyed this forum, not just for RL but the debates that happen without (generally) getting personal. I feel I have or the forum has outgrown me.

I feel when you are labeled at one extreme or another for asking questions or raising points it's an area we should avoid and that's why I have enjoyed this forum.

We rarely know each other(I have never met anyone on here) and are basically keyboard commentators.

I received comments personally I find offensive from someone I regard as a considered poster. And when to the decent posters become personal it's heading in the wrong direction.

To put some meat on my 2 dimensional username I am in my 60s played. ,coached and still watch and enjoy the game, I have always enjoyed discussing and even being the devil's advocate just to look at all aspects of a subject rather than attach myself to one end or the other. This attitude has helped me inside and outside of work when dealing with emotional subjects and situations.

I will sign out on registering this statement and will not return, I wish you all well and hope you get back to debating subjects in an open and tolerant manner.

Thanks Ian.

Sorry to see you go...all the best to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Thanks Ian.

All the best Ian.

• Like 1

I mean this is very self indulgent. If my post upset you so much, feel free to reach out by DM, or just use the ignore function, or report the post to the mods. 

Fwiw, my post wasn't intended to offend, it was purely a reference to your posts in that thread. You chose to make points about 'woke' and 'box ticking' in a thread about women in RL. You got challenged on that. Nothing more than that. 

All the best. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 19

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I mean this is very self indulgent. If my post upset you so much, feel free to reach out by DM, or just use the ignore function, or report the post to the mods. 

Fwiw, my post wasn't intended to offend, it was purely a reference to your posts in that thread. You chose to make points about 'woke' and 'box ticking' in a thread about women in RL. You got challenged on that. Nothing more than that. 

All the best. 

I do think that not just on this forum but in society as a whole there is this recent phenomenon that free speech should be completely unregulated. Yes, some of the controversial opinions on here are fairly mild but when speech goes completely unchecked, it can become very dangerous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Thanks Ian.

Just take a break from it for a bit 

I find loads of people on here irritating but that's part of life 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I do think that not just on this forum but in society as a whole there is this recent phenomenon that free speech should be completely unregulated. Yes, some of the controversial opinions on here are fairly mild but when speech goes completely unchecked, it can become very dangerous.

Perfectly okay to check things and ask questions 

I haven't seen what this specific issue is all about. However I'd say on the whole most posters here are left leaning in their views and that annoys some 

It annoys me too sometimes and I'd describe myself as a centre leaning guy 

I'm certainly no Daily Mail reader but equally I can no longer stomach the Guardian these days ....and yes i will say that it is a paper that is "too" woke for me

Not aiming this at anyone in particular 

• Like 3

Just use the "ignore" option.

For the New Year, I had an ignore list amnesty. To be honest, most of them were troll accounts who had since been zapped by the Mods. Of the actual TRL members, nobody's gone back on the list. Yet.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wouldn't do for us all to think the same about the game.We all love it and that's why different opinions are put forward.Civil discussion is fine but respect should be shown to other posters.I am no loner on Twitter  X because i ruffled a few feathers about politics during Brexit.Think i had about 3600 against me and less than half a dozen on my side.One Asian poster said even if the Old Geezer is wrong he has his own opinion.I couldn't care less like water off a  ducks beck to me .But my son saw it and closed my account straight away he did not want people thinking hid dad was a prat.Good lad.

• Haha 1

Probably not my place to weigh in on threads such as this, since I'm not really an active poster on this particular RL forum and I'm not on social media per se (Facebook, Twitter et al) but...

Doesn't everyone just need to get out a bit more?   The internet is not the real world, it's a place where one's behaviour is influenced by the fact they are behind a computer and have the chance to create a false environment where their specific needs, beliefs and values can be given precedence.   Thus when challenged with differing perceptions or a differing set or values, an individual gets upset, in a similar way to being upset at someone invading your safe space in your home to shout their opinions at you.

When I go for a nice walk along the canal every day in my little Cheshire village, I pass all sorts of people from all different backgrounds, probably with views from one extreme to the other.   Out there it's the real world, and should two people engage in a short chat about anything they don't usually start shouting at each other over differing opinions and get into some sort of rage.   If anything, they just ignore the bits they don't agree with and move on.   But ultimately, everyone still pretty much gets on don't they?

As I say, I'm not on Twitter or Facebook, but why on earth people choose to pick arguments (usually political) with people they've never met is beyond me.   There's a whole world out there away from the computer / phone - get some fresh air, lose some weight and get used to tolerating each other again.    It must be exhausting getting so anxious / angry all the time?

Debate is good and fun, but don't waste precious time on petty bickering.

Edited by Fly-By-TheWire
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I haven't seen what this specific issue is all about. However I'd say on the whole most posters here are left leaning in their views and that annoys some 

I'm certainly no Daily Mail reader but equally I can no longer stomach the Guardian these days ....and yes i will say that it is a paper that is "too" woke for me

Okay, ‘Attila’, you’ve made your point… centrist indeed! 😉*

On a serious note it’s probably best that the whole topic was debated in AOB/political section.

Certainly once you start tossing ‘word salads’ with things like ‘woke’ etc to use an Americanism.

*This is a joke I have no idea what his politics are

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Opinions are fine. Masking offensive views as 'I just speak my mind' is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just use the "ignore" option.

For the New Year, I had an ignore list amnesty. To be honest, most of them were troll accounts who had since been zapped by the Mods. Of the actual TRL members, nobody's gone back on the list. Yet.

Who said that......etc.....

42 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Opinions are fine. Masking offensive views as 'I just speak my mind' is not.

Equally - people reacting in an overly pious way under the guise of virtue signalling is not either

I suspect many on here secretly have quite different real world views than what they choose to post 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

It was a great series for years. The denouement was as you say, hence the aptness of the reference.

The first series was amazing but  I have up quickly after 

It was just someone having a good idea...but then throwing in loads of random stuff they had no idea how to explain or make sense of but they knew might keep people hanging on to see if there was an explanation 

It actually shapes the way I see shows now....if I get even a whiff that a write is adding 'intrugue' without a clear plan of explaining it then I bail out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

Probably not my place to weigh in on threads such as this, since I'm not really an active poster on this particular RL forum and I'm not on social media per se (Facebook, Twitter et al) but...

Doesn't everyone just need to get out a bit more?   The internet is not the real world, it's a place where one's behaviour is influenced by the fact they are behind a computer and have the chance to create a false environment where their specific needs, beliefs and values can be given precedence.   Thus when challenged with differing perceptions or a differing set or values, an individual gets upset, in a similar way to being upset at someone invading your safe space in your home to shout their opinions at you.

When I go for a nice walk along the canal every day in my little Cheshire village, I pass all sorts of people from all different backgrounds, probably with views from one extreme to the other.   Out there it's the real world, and should two people engage in a short chat about anything they don't usually start shouting at each other over differing opinions and get into some sort of rage.   If anything, they just ignore the bits they don't agree with and move on.   But ultimately, everyone still pretty much gets on don't they?

As I say, I'm not on Twitter or Facebook, but why on earth people choose to pick arguments (usually political) with people they've never met is beyond me.   There's a whole world out there away from the computer / phone - get some fresh air, lose some weight and get used to tolerating each other again.    It must be exhausting getting so anxious / angry all the time?

Debate is good and fun, but don't waste precious time on petty bickering.

This 100%. 

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The first series was amazing but  I have up quickly after 

It was just someone having a good idea...but then throwing in loads of random stuff they had no idea how to explain or make sense of but they knew might keep people hanging on to see if there was an explanation 

It actually shapes the way I see shows now....if I get even a whiff that a write is adding 'intrugue' without a clear plan of explaining it then I bail out 

At the risk of totally derailing the thread, yes. There were a lot f narrative threads and character arcs created which were clumsily and poorly resolved. I read somewhere that the writers had planned for the whole thing to be a purgatory, but when (the then brand new phenomenon of) online forums sussed that out, the whole show went into tail-spin around Season 4 (5 if I'm generous)

• Like 1