Game's gone

51 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

You’re missing my point, we were told by some that it would adversely effect the people watching the sport

At the moment no-one has really seen any impact from the spreadsheet exercise. What effect it has remains to be seen but it will never stop being inappropriate and foolish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Damien said:

Also was the Hull derby really a capacity, the stadium holds a touch over 25k?

When you have unreserved seating areas, I believe you need to allow for 10% empty seats. 

Our highest capacity for this was just over 23k, which sounds about right in terms of unreserved empty spaces.

That 23k has dropped now due to segregation. Think around 21.5k-22k is the max. They announced 20,008 I believe this Thursday, and there were loads of seats available in the upper West and a few in the Rovers stand. Certainly wasn't capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When you have unreserved seating areas, I believe you need to allow for 10% empty seats. 

Our highest capacity for this was just over 23k, which sounds about right in terms of unreserved empty spaces.

That 23k has dropped now due to segregation. Think around 21.5k-22k is the max. They announced 20,008 I believe this Thursday, and there were loads of seats available in the upper West and a few in the Rovers stand. Certainly wasn't capacity.

Good to know

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Fair enough, it just seems a heck of a cut.

• Like 1

And now, home spun philosophy for the masses.😁

Games not gone. It lives in us all, it occupies our waking hours, it sustains our well being, it nourishes our souls.😁

Without it we are nothing. 

Thank you. 😛

Edited by doc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, M j M said:

At the moment no-one has really seen any impact from the spreadsheet exercise. What effect it has remains to be seen but it will never stop being inappropriate and foolish.

Surely the work that clubs are doing to tick those boxes is contributing to more people attending? Increased promotion, marketing and fan engagement is bound to have an effect.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

Surely the work that clubs are doing to tick those boxes is contributing to more people attending? Increased promotion, marketing and fan engagement is bound to have an effect.

Yup, I'm sure it is. I'm fully in support of bringing IMG in and their role in the sort of improved central marketing we've seen and sharing of and support to clubs in implementing best practice.

It's possible to think that without thinking everything they have done is right - and the spreadsheet is just really distracting and dumb. Properly enforcing minimum standards would achieve a lot of the other targeted improvements without taking an axe to the public's perception of Super League's sporting integrity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Yup, I'm sure it is. I'm fully in support of bringing IMG in and their role in the sort of improved central marketing we've seen and sharing of and support to clubs in implementing best practice.

It's possible to think that without thinking everything they have done is right - and the spreadsheet is just really distracting and dumb. Properly enforcing minimum standards would achieve a lot of the other targeted improvements without taking an axe to the public's perception of Super League's sporting integrity.

Fair enough and I understand that viewpoint. I too have always been a fan of minimum standards for SL but for decades the games has tried to implement them at various times without success. They still received many of the complaints we here now. I'm not particularly convinced doing those without other drastic changes would particularly result in a different outcome than we have seen before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doc said:

And now, home spun philosophy for the masses.😁

Games not gone. It lives in us all, it occupies are waking hours, it sustains are well being, it nourishes are souls.😁

Without it we are nothing. 

Thank you. 😛

Are? 🥴

Gotta be honest... This is the most positive I've felt about a new season for a long time.

Admittedly I'm a 'glass half full' kinda guy but this season I'm getting even more positive vibes than I have in recent years.

There's plenty to be positive about.

There will always be things to lean towards negatively if you choose to walk that road.... But remember folks... PMA for the win.

• Like 2
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

8 hours ago, daz39 said:

I know we have this every year at this time but where the hell does it go? it's just come back!

Seychelles, I believe.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Well if the English game continues like it did over the weekend then I cancel my sports and just sign up to NRL streaming as I pay for my Sky Sports Super League to be entertained but instead came away yesterday feeling frustrated and disappointed 😞

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Well if the English game continues like it did over the weekend then I cancel my sports and just sign up to NRL streaming as I pay for my Sky Sports Super League to be entertained but instead came away yesterday feeling frustrated and disappointed 😞

We can't avoid the fact that the crackdown on forceful head contact is motivated by legal necessity. The RFL probably have no choice. Where's the sense in being frustrated and disappointed by something that's inevitable?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

We can't avoid the fact that the crackdown on forceful head contact is motivated by legal necessity. The RFL probably have no choice. Where's the sense in being frustrated and disappointed by something that's inevitable?

So what will @EggFace do when players are sent off in the NRL for the same infringements? The increased knowledge about the damage that collision sports cause is not an exclusively European thing.

Even Australians have brains that can be damaged. Except John Hopoate, maybe.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Maybe the crackdown should be 20 minute red card....keep the game safe and punters happy ?

Edited by EggFace

20 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Maybe the crackdown should be 20 minute red card....keep the game safe and punters happy ?

I have raised the question before whether ejecting players from the game but still allowing 13 players on the pitch is the correct balance.  As well as having strong bans as a deterrent for foul play.

This way, the player is punished but the fans still see 13 vs. 13 (obviously with fewer players to interchange).

US sports do this and I think it is worth considering even if we decide not to adopt it.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I have raised the question before whether ejecting players from the game but still allowing 13 players on the pitch is the correct balance.  As well as having strong bans as a deterrent for foul play.

This way, the player is punished but the fans still see 13 vs. 13 (obviously with fewer players to interchange).

US sports do this and I think it is worth considering even if we decide not to adopt it.

Many years ago, I suggested a red card should mean a reduction to 17v16 in squad terms and a loss of one interchange. The only thing I'd amend now is making it alsdo a 'sin bin extra' bit where the side is down a player for 15 minutes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)