Sat 24th-Sun 25th Feb: Betfred Challenge Cup 4th Round Match Thread

York-Sheffield 12-16 half time, with ref in danger of losing control of game. York down to 11 for 2nd time in 1st half with Dagger shown a straight red on 35 min. York aren't out of this, as Eagles game management is so poor and the ref will undoubtedly wield a few more cards in 2nd half

2 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

York 12 Sheffield 16 HT 

Sounds like the referee is having a day to forget, and never heard such boos...

I’ve never seen anything like it. 4 yellows and a red so far. I’m off home if there’s any more. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

4 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

I’ve never seen anything like it. 4 yellows and a red so far. I’m off home if there’s any more. 

I am listening to it on Radio York, and the commentators are gob smacked, we all appreciate application of the rules, but the ref is ruining the game.. 

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

Something's gone seriously wrong with the draw if those clubs come out of the bag!

My apologies, I get it now. Last 4 championship winners in the next round join the SL teams in Round 6. It's getting like Scottish Football then a chance to play the same team 4/5 or even 6 times if your unfortunate enough to meet in other cup comps - the joys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

I thought we'd kissed Kearball goodbye but it was back with a vengeance today. Two scores down with ten minutes to play and O'Carroll still had them barging up the middle.

Two Widnes players sinbinned so we kept speading the ball to create a gap ... basic schoolboy rugby, right? No, O'Carroll still had them barging up the middle.

Our halfbacks were completely out-thought and outplayed by the Widnes pair. Man-of-the-Match anounced. Yup, Jordan Lilley.

Absolute bag of cack.

Wolfy, just watched it on catch up but must have fast forwarded the 2 Widnes ‘bins’.  Were they both for head highs?

interested because I saw 5 pulled up by the Ref that had no card attached, just a penalty.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Wolfy, just watched it on catch up but must have fast forwarded the 2 Widnes ‘bins’.  Were they both for head highs?

interested because I saw 5 pulled up by the Ref that had no card attached, just a penalty.

I can't remember what the first was for (there were definitely two).

The second was for tackling the Bradford fullback in the air (and possibly tipping him on the way down).

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

The second was for tackling the Bradford fullback in the air (and possibly tipping him on the way down).

First was Fleming taking Davies off the ball. Looked a bit high as well.

• Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Cheers gents.

That’s confused me then as Thaler continued to lecture the tacklers who committed head high shots, but didn’t card them.  The game seemed to flow quite well for it.  The York/Sheffield game sounds a card fest.

Good Widnes team in there somewhere.  

• Like 1

Absolute shocker of a game at York today, I think Mr Rush will need to buy a new whistle as he has surely worn out the one he used today!

The way the rules are being interpreted this season ruins the game, we DON’T come to watch the referee, if this continues I can see people staying away in droves.

In all honesty I can’t see Sheffield doing much this season, even against 11 men they were poor and lacked ideas. York were very flat, but getting penalised every five minutes and players getting sent off / to the bin didn’t help. Hendo needs to look at the discipline and technique especially around the play the ball, and tell the players to keep quiet in front of the ref even if it is frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I was thinking more along the lines of York Acorn

Sorry. 😂

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Two Widnes players sinbinned so we kept speading the ball to create a gap ... basic schoolboy rugby, right? No, O'Carroll still had them barging up the middle.

Honestly losing a player on the pitch makes very little difference, if you drop to 11 that would feel the same as defending a full sized pitch.

Swinton 14-0 up against Oldham, who haven't offered much at all so far. 

Question: How long does it take to fill that stand at Heywood Road with all those motionless tailor's dummies? 

Oldham’s worst start to a game (ie 30 plus minutes) for a long time. In danger of believing our own publicity? Basic skills very poor. Catching and passing dreadful. Panic in attack. Senior players Poe performance. Sean Long’s first real test as Roughyeds’ coach. Needed that score just before HT. Swinton just patient (mostly) and doing the job. I still think Oldham will win though. ❤️❤️❤️

I thought the ref looked about 10 at the start- he’s been outstanding so far though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Oldham’s worst start to a game (ie 30 plus minutes) for a long time. In danger of believing our own publicity? Basic skills very poor. Catching and passing dreadful. Panic in attack. Senior players Poe performance. Sean Long’s first real test as Roughyeds’ coach. Needed that score just before HT. Swinton just patient (mostly) and doing the job. I still think Oldham will win though. ❤️❤️❤️

I thought the ref looked about 10 at the start- he’s been outstanding so far though. 

Spot on mate.

Only just tuned into the Swinton-Oldham game on The Sportsman, but there was a couple of knock-ons called by the referee in the last five minutes even though the ball, although mishandled, always went backwards toward the players own goal line and was not advanced towards the opponent's try line.

Is there a nuance that a dropped or mishandled pass is given as a knock-on when there is no forward motion of the ball?

RU seems to have sorted this out, a dropped ball which goes backwards is not called as a knock-on, whereas in RL a dropped pass seems to be a knock-on regardless.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

That's the draw of the round, if televised it will be the game they pick I should think

Does anyone know what round the full bbc coverage of Challenge cup starts at? (Not red button). I'm guessing it's the 6th round when Superleague clubs enter, but I'm hopeful of the 5th because Fev vs Wakefield is worthy of that Coverage and could be really good viewing