I too thought it was a strange choice when Wigan appointed him. But it's obviously worked. He comes across as a decent guy,I think he was trying to hide a cheesy grin at the end of last night's game. Wigan is lucky to have him.

• Like 1

I said after the 2022 cup final how graceful in victory he was and how well he spoke, he still does, he's such a likeable bloke for our sport, there's nothing to dislike about him.

Remember him coaching Wigan's academy and scholarship against our lot when i was more involved and he always seemed to acknowledge the opposition players, always had words of encouragement for the kids and coaches and even then it was clear his man management skills were outstanding.

An asset to our sport and a damn good coach too.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Came across very well last night I thought, and I admit when Wigan appointed him I thought it was a strange choice. 

The great Liverpool soccer team of the mid 70s to mid 80s would recruit from within and it didn’t go badly for them. Sometimes people just need a chance to prove themselves but often clubs will usually go for the easy option of selecting an unproven Aussie assistant coach rather than an unproven British assistant coach they would know more about, just because he’s Australian.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I said after the 2022 cup final how graceful in victory he was and how well he spoke, he still does, he's such a likeable bloke for our sport, there's nothing to dislike about him.

Remember him coaching Wigan's academy and scholarship against our lot when i was more involved and he always seemed to acknowledge the opposition players, always had words of encouragement for the kids and coaches and even then it was clear his man management skills were outstanding.

Well put Daz.

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what is his playing background please?

Think he only played at amateur level. Sam Tomkins said on sky last night that he coached at Wigan St Pats before going to Wigan.

Tomkins also said that earlier in the week, all the players had been to a funeral, Liam Marshalls mother I think, and Matty Peet got them all together and told them that this would be the most important thing they do this week, supporting one of their own when he needed it. What a man

• Like 19

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Peet helps to put to bed the ludicrous notion that you have to be a top class player to be a top class coach.  They are completely different roles with a completely different skill set.

I really do think this attitude holds so many sports back with top quality players going on to be poor coaches/managers but given multiple chances due to their playing reputation. 

• Like 13

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

He likes country music and taking  his family to the Far East for a holiday - tells you some thing

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

40 minutes ago, audois said:

and taking  his family to the Far East for a holiday

Hull?

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Pretty is always classy in his interviews and responses. Wigan have a great culture under him. As important as Peet are Leuluai and O'Loughlin as his assistants, they are the brains and have the respect of the players. It's a real team coaching effort.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Pretty is always classy in his interviews and responses. Wigan have a great culture under him. As important as Peet are Leuluai and O'Loughlin as his assistants, they are the brains and have the respect of the players. It's a real team coaching effort.

Just wondering what you mean that 'they are the brains'?

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just wondering what you mean that 'they are the brains'?

Sorry I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, I just meant rugby brains. They've been there and done that and a lot of the play, tactics, defence etc comes from them. It's their job. A great head coach is also a great delegator and knows how to use the expertise of others.

Wigan have been very wise with the coaching team they have assembled.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, I just meant rugby brains. They've been there and done that and a lot of the play, tactics, defence etc comes from them. It's their job. A great head coach is also a great delegator and knows how to use the expertise of others.

Wigan have been very wise with the coaching team they have assembled.

This goes back to my previous point that people think to have rugby brains you need to have been a top class player.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This goes back to my previous point that people think to have rugby brains you need to have been a top class player.

Peet has surrounded himself with those people and leans heavily on them. He is the first to acknowledge the role of Leuluai and O'Loughlin, they are every bit as important to Wigans success as he is. I certainly think that Peet is the first to know his limitations and when others have more expertise, and that is a great skill itself. A great head coach should be the glue that holds that together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Peet has surrounded himself with those people and leans heavily on them. He is the first to acknowledge the role of Leuluai and O'Loughlin, they are every bit as important to Wigans success as he is. I certainly think that Peet is the first to know his limitations and when others have more expertise, and that is a great skill itself. A great head coach should be the glue that holds that together.

I am not arguing the importance of O'Loughlin and Leuluai but you are suggesting that there are some elements of Rugby League game play or tactics that they possess that Peet doesn't because he wasn't a top class player.  And I disagree with that view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dkw said:

I do like how his expression just never changes, no matter what has happened, just marvellous. 

You might have to take those words back if he ever stood on a drawing pin in his bare feet.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am not arguing the importance of O'Loughlin and Leuluai but you are suggesting that there are some elements of Rugby League game play or tactics that they possess that Peet doesn't because he wasn't a top class player.  And I disagree with that view.

Am I? I haven't even mentioned anything about Peets playing credentials.

I am commenting on what role I know Leiluai and O'Loughlin play and ehat their job is. If that doesn't tally with what you wish to believe or whatever point you wish to argue then that is up to you.