IMG Grading System (Many Merged Threads)

32 minutes ago, LeeF said:

You are only allowed to show certain transactions in certain ways and if by his statement he meant equity or capital instead of sponsorship or a different income stream that’s definitely not fudging but you probably already know that

Here you are Lee, Mr B explains what he is doing financially, for the next gradings, no need to watch it all look from 15:00mins to 21:00mins.

This was from December 23.

Edited by Harry Stottle

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

So out of interest, on what basis do they decide which local council to use? The York and North Yorkshire Combined Authority is in charge of some things - police, fire brigade, quite a big chunk of devolved central government funding for housing, transport, infrastructure etc. and the city council is responsible for others - education & social care for example.  Is it who collects the bins, or who collects speeding tickets that matters 🙂 ?

It's who collects the bins!

Workington and Whitehaven were due to be assessed based on their district councils, but Cumberland unitary authority came into being last April, so they now share the same Council (and catchment area).

So in North Yorkshire, if there were pro-teams in Scarborough and Skipton, they would share a catchment. But one in Redcar would have it's own catchment area, as does York.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It won't happen Taffy by design or by default, the RL are not expecting it to and I should imagine that is after consultation with IMG, why else would they announce that the Championship - 14 clubs and L1 - 10 clubs are amalgamating to make 2 x 12 leagues.

Hi Harry , you are right ,  it certainly won't happen next year or maybe 2/3 , but IMG have said that they are hoping that enough teams reach Cat A status to be able to expand SL in the future . Their 'plan' is over a 12 year period , so best not to rush these things I suppose and allow teams to get a solid foundation in place for the future .

The one thing that may bring an increase to 14 SL teams sooner rather than later , would be an agreement from the French clubs to self fund . That would allow 2 more teams from UK to join at no loss of money to these clubs , and with this would come a natural end to the loop fixtures which so many people seem to dislike .

Edited by Taffy Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

Workington and Whitehaven were due to be assessed based on their district councils, but Cumberland unitary authority came into being last April, so they now share the same Council (and catchment area).

So in North Yorkshire, if there were pro-teams in Scarborough and Skipton, they would share a catchment. But one in Redcar would have it's own catchment area, as does York.

So if they move to only collecting your bins once a month from every fortnight does this impact? If not then it should otherwise it’s a farce 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LeeF said:

So if they move to only collecting your bins once a month from every fortnight does this impact? If not then it should otherwise it’s a farce 😀

In that situation, I suggest the clubs take advantage of the gap in the market and earn some money emptying bins to boost their finances score.

I could just see George Williams driving the lorry while Ben Currie collects the bins! 😂

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, JonM said:

London Broncos having a lower population catchment area than say Whitehaven (and around a third of the catchment population of York) shows just how well thought through the whole system is. I live around 90 minutes drive from York, but count for their population score. Someone living on Riverside Road less than thirty seconds walk away from the Cherry Red Records stadium doesn't count for London Broncos catchment.

The thing is Jon, ignore the local authority, how many people live within say 30 minutes of Wimbledon, must be hundreds of thousands if not millions.  London shouldn't receive points for population, nobody should.  The population alone gives you a much better chance of pulling a crowd if there's any interest there. 

• Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

3 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

So when you have 12 clubs who all have security from relegation,you have a closed shop.Where is the incentive for the majority of clubs iin RL to improve.Will IMG come up with something for them or will their job be done once they have sorted out the elite.

Hi gittinsfan

I don't think that is the case . All teams (inc Cat A teams) are assessed on an annual basis . A team can be Cat A and guaranteed SL rugby one year and the following year they could fall below Cat A status with no guarantee of a SL spot .

Added to this any team who gets a Cat A status will be allowed a place in SL , so even if 12 clubs make Cat A , it still wouldn't be a closed shop , as there is the guarantee that any other team (other than these 12 ) will gain automatic entry , but it would be into an expanded SL.

Every club now has a goal to aim for that would guarantee a SL place . This has never happened before.  Of course that goal will be too high for many at the moment , but it doesn't mean that will always be the case . For the first time in over 20 years there is a good chance that more than one team could be promoted from the Championship . Not bad to say that they are supposedly at a 'massive disadvantage' to the current SL clubs , one of which we know for sure will not be in SL in 2025 . 

1 hour ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Hi gittinsfan

I don't think that is the case . All teams (inc Cat A teams) are assessed on an annual basis . A team can be Cat A and guaranteed SL rugby one year and the following year they could fall below Cat A status with no guarantee of a SL spot .

Added to this any team who gets a Cat A status will be allowed a place in SL , so even if 12 clubs make Cat A , it still wouldn't be a closed shop , as there is the guarantee that any other team (other than these 12 ) will gain automatic entry , but it would be into an expanded SL.

Every club now has a goal to aim for that would guarantee a SL place . This has never happened before.  Of course that goal will be too high for many at the moment , but it doesn't mean that will always be the case . For the first time in over 20 years there is a good chance that more than one team could be promoted from the Championship . Not bad to say that they are supposedly at a 'massive disadvantage' to the current SL clubs , one of which we know for sure will not be in SL in 2025 . 

Hello Taffy

I think it's already been discussed that SL are unlikely to expand from 12.

Once we have the closed shop of 12 grade A clubs what catastrophic event is going to happen to allow a Championship grade B to overcome a grade A.

Once we go to what will effectively be an IMG closed shop we have "franchises" by default

In that case seeing we have a lot of clubs in very close proximity to each other would we ever see the situation they have in America where a franchise can move town/city 

Not been seen yet in this country other than MK Dons in football - tough but eventually worked out. Will we see someone buying the license for say Hull, Cas, Wakefield (if they come back) and upping sticks 

As a lot of our club's finances are tight wouldn't cost that much so wonder if that forms any of IMG thinking. 

10 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Hello Taffy

I think it's already been discussed that SL are unlikely to expand from 12.

Once we have the closed shop of 12 grade A clubs what catastrophic event is going to happen to allow a Championship grade B to overcome a grade A.

Thanks for the reply gittinsfan . I think that SL is almost certain to expand during the IMG period . You are right , nothing will allow any Cat B to overcome a Cat A . However , if that Cat B then becomes a Cat A they will join SL alongside any other already established Cat A teams.

There are already 7 Cat A teams and if DB is to be believed (no reason to doubt him) , then Leigh will become the 8th Cat A team at the end of this season . Cas, Salford , Huddersfield , Wakey , Toulouse and Bradford are all going in the right direction to reach the standard required for a Cat A .

The only way SL becomes a closed shop with 12 teams will be if no other team can make the grade . Under those circumstances ,  I think that would be a fair enough reason to stick at 12. 

Let's also remember that there has been speculation that Toulouse may join Catalans in SL , with both clubs self funding . If that is the case then the most logical solution would be to add 12 UK teams to give a 14 team SL with no need for a reduction in UK teams money and also put an end to loop fixtures.

Just my opinion of course .

Thanks again for the reply

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

If that's true, it just demonstrates the nonsense that the current method of measurement of catchment is. York can include the population of Skipton, Whitby and Hawes but Castleford can't include Allerton Bywater, two miles away (maybe less).

I'm not against catchment, I just think it's done very poorly.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

If that's true, it just demonstrates the nonsense that the current method of measurement of catchment is. York can include the population of Skipton, Whitby and Hawes but Castleford can't include Allerton Bywater, two miles away (maybe less).

I'm not against catchment, I just think it's done very poorly.

I just don't see the point of it at all, catchment comes down to possible sales which means absolute zilch if nothing is sold, it is the numbers through the gates which matter.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

So when you have 12 clubs who all have security from relegation,you have a closed shop.Where is the incentive for the majority of clubs iin RL to improve.Will IMG come up with something for them or will their job be done once they have sorted out the elite.

When you can't make the play offs and there is no relegation that is the time to blood young players as you prepare for the next season.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

When you can't make the play offs and there is no relegation that is the time to blood young players as you prepare for the next season.

And if they are smart, they'll want a good finish to the season to improve the optimism and hope for next season amongst fans.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

They'll probably just expand the numbers who qualify for the play offs. After 6 games this season I'd suggest the top ten may be the way to go.

• Haha 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

29 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

They'll probably just expand the numbers who qualify for the play offs. After 6 games this season I'd suggest the top ten may be the way to go.

Isn't that what some people to want? Every game to matter. Everyone having something to play for right until the end.

On 10/04/2024 at 17:21, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Rugby league has been dying or dead in this country for the last fifty years if you believe what you read. It's still here. Trust me, it could survive relegating Hull, Leeds, Warrington, whoever. Locking in the same teams who in your opinion have put it on life support will make no difference whatsoever.

So has rugby union in this country. It's just the last 5 years that it's been terminal. The sporting landscape is changing faster than it has in history and RL in England wasn't keeping up before and certainly isn't now. 

new rise.jpg

47 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Isn't that what some people to want? Every game to matter. Everyone having something to play for right until the end.

Knock out cups, then.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

So has rugby union in this country. It's just the last 5 years that it's been terminal. The sporting landscape is changing faster than it has in history and RL in England wasn't keeping up before and certainly isn't now. 

"We're all doomed!"

• Haha 1

I still think the grading system is largely the right thing to do. But the fact that London's fate was sealed before the season started exposes a fatal flaw in the system. If London somehow manage to fight their way to 11th, their reward is being cast adrift. Why even bother?

Is it even 1 up, 1 down? Could TOXIII also replace Cas? Could Bradford replace Leigh?

This could have been so much better if any "B" winning the championship could replace any other "B" that finishes bottom of the pile. There still an incentive to become an "A" and guarantee your place, but without the embarrassment the sport could potentially suffer. 

Edited by David Shepherd

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I still think the grading system is largely the right thing to do. But the fact that London's fate was sealed before the season started exposes a fatal flaw in the system. If London somehow manage to fight their way to 11th, their reward is being cast adrift. Why even bother?

Is it even 1 up, 1 down? Could TOXIII also replace Cas? Could Bradford replace Leigh?

This could have been so much better if any "B" winning the championship could replace any other "B" that finishes bottom of the pile. There still an incentive to become an "A" and guarantee your place, but without the embarrassment the sport could potentially suffer. 

Super League 2025 will be made up of the 12 teams with the highest scores in this year's grading. In theory, any number of teams could be promoted and relegated. It's more likely that 10 clubs are guaranteed a place, with final two places going to two out of Wakefield, Toulouse, Leigh and Castleford. With Wakefield the most likely to get a place out of those 4.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

The sport won't suffer any embarrassment, its not big enough in the British sporting landscape to turn any dials unfortunately.

But with your suggestion the sport could suffer more /embaressment' if a Grade A club finishes Bottom of the league and the B team above got relegated.

I don't think any half way house system would work.

The London situation is an outlier and one that will only happen at this stage of the system being implemented. London being so ill prepared for life in the top flight could actually be an argument for the grading system and not the old system in fairness.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

Super League 2025 will be made up of the 12 teams with the highest scores in this year's grading. In theory, any number of teams could be promoted and relegated. It's more likely that 10 clubs are guaranteed a place, with final two places going to two out of Wakefield, Toulouse, Leigh and Castleford. With Wakefield the most likely to get a place out of those 4.

Earlier I posted what Derek Beaumont said in relation to the grading points for next season, he is more than confident that Leigh will get enough to be an 'A',  do you know something he doesn't Higgy? not for the first time you have Leigh as one of the favourites for the drop.