Jump to content

Cup Final Ticket Info, anyone?


Recommended Posts

we are asking neutrals to pay £100 for coach and ticket, hotels close by are £200 plus per night and food and drink is expensive and poor outside the ground. I would move it back to Cardiff and sell it out every year

  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

we are asking neutrals to pay £100 for coach and ticket, hotels close by are £200 plus per night and food and drink is expensive and poor outside the ground. I would move it back to Cardiff and sell it out every year

It’s a cup final I’m failing to see your point?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

60k is par considering the teams .....hope it's more as I'd quite like to be there for a great atmosphere!

There is an expectation of reaching 65k by Saturday. I'd say we are 2k short of that currently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

we are asking neutrals to pay £100 for coach and ticket, hotels close by are £200 plus per night and food and drink is expensive and poor outside the ground. I would move it back to Cardiff and sell it out every year

Any city in the UK would be the same. Not a sports venue (yet) but Coop Live is £9 a pint. I suspect city centre Cardiff is not far off and there is far less hotels meaning cost will be as much. 
 Last time I went to a CC Final there I spent a night in a tent in an awful campsite surrounded by very drunk Hull fans, one of who by a stroke of luck managed to slip and fall on my 8 year old son’s puke outside the tent. Not a night I’d like to repeat.

London is London. Wembley one of the world’s top stadiums. May as well say you stick it at Elland Road so everyone can pile in Spoons. But it wouldn’t be much fun!

  • Like 5

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cardiff would have exactly the same issues as London, only with a fraction of the travel links, far fewer hotels and less attractions for taking the family down with you.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some do seem to pretend that staying in London was somehow cheap once upon a time, as if hotels in any major city aren't pricey when events are on.

Edited by RigbyLuger
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2024 at 15:01, Dunbar said:

I thought Wigan and Wire were exceptional in the semi's.  I went to site today to get a couple of tickets and there are only 9 blocks available to buy in the top tier (cat 3 & 4).

I wanted the Cat 1 or 2 tickets and I can't buy them.

I may go back and try again.  But there is a good chance I won't.

I did get a ticket.

I was 50/50 - I think it will be a very good game -  but what I really want to do is stand up at 7 minutes and clap.

  • Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just bought 4 tickets in the Wire end upper tier. No tickets in the lower tier (Wire end) and only a few in Club Wembley. A few tickets in the lower tier on the Wigan website but couldn’t stomach sitting with fans from a bus stop in Leigh😂 Come on Wire!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I did get a ticket.

I was 50/50 - I think it will be a very good game -  but what I really want to do is stand up at 7 minutes and clap.

There looks to have been a bit of movement on sales today, and I wonder how many other people have been thinking the same as you. Good on you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw an article where Sam Burgess suggested that it would be good to sell out the game and remember Rob at Wembley this week, if only all the tickets were on sale!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Cardiff would have exactly the same issues as London, only with a fraction of the travel links, far fewer hotels and less attractions for taking the family down with you.

Cardiff hotel prices rocketed for the 2nd final, was a massive rip off. We stayed in Bristol instead because of the rip off costs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Any city in the UK would be the same. Not a sports venue (yet) but Coop Live is £9 a pint. I suspect city centre Cardiff is not far off and there is far less hotels meaning cost will be as much. 
 Last time I went to a CC Final there I spent a night in a tent in an awful campsite surrounded by very drunk Hull fans, one of who by a stroke of luck managed to slip and fall on my 8 year old son’s puke outside the tent. Not a night I’d like to repeat.

London is London. Wembley one of the world’s top stadiums. May as well say you stick it at Elland Road so everyone can pile in Spoons. But it wouldn’t be much fun!

I recently saw a post on FB about the beer prices at the O2 for the darts. £9 a pint 😳. Was that campsite in Penarth by any chance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it's the fact I've been quite a lot over the years, but Wembley just isn't a draw for me at all. I don't think the facilities are very good (although Club Wembley is pretty good), I think the ground is too big for the size of crowd - even 70k in there looks and can sound rubbish. I find it unfriendly and physically challenging. 

People may mock those who talk about prices, but things like public transport has really become challenging for many with poor timetables, costly tickets and a chance you may be sat on the floor. 

I've had some amazing weekends down there, but I think it has become more challenging as some things in the country haven't improved. 

I'm not sure it is sensible to dismiss people explaining why they don't go and then wonder about the crowd size. 

But, fingers crossed those views will be the minority and we'll get a good crowd and those that attend will have a great day. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Some do seem to pretend that staying in London was somehow cheap once upon a time, as if hotels in any major city aren't pricey when events are on.

People used to have more money.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

Saw an article where Sam Burgess suggested that it would be good to sell out the game and remember Rob at Wembley this week, if only all the tickets were on sale!

We can't sell the ones that are on sale. It's a lovely sentiment, but there's thousands on sale currently unbought.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

I recently saw a post on FB about the beer prices at the O2 for the darts. £9 a pint 😳. Was that campsite in Penarth by any chance?

May well have been. Not too sure but out to the west of Cardiff out in sticks somewhere. A taxi ride into the city and bus back. Grim “facilities”.

  • Like 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

we are asking neutrals to pay £100 for coach and ticket, hotels close by are £200 plus per night and food and drink is expensive and poor outside the ground. I would move it back to Cardiff and sell it out every year

I'm a neutral and on top of my ticket I'll spend about £7 in petrol and £5 in parking (a mile away) - shared with others in the car!!

I will bring food with me (genuinely) ....and I don't drink any more!

This Saturday is a bargain for me!

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Newcastle did/does exactly the same thing 

To be fair everywhere does now for any big events, it was just back then no one expected it as it didnt happen for Wembley games, hadnt happened for the Edinburgh game etc.

I was in Glasgow last year and there were 3 big giggs on and the hotel room prices were extortionate, double and even treble normal prices. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think comparisons with the 80s and 90s are difficult. There is far more competition nowadays for 'events' in my experience. Just in RL we have added Magic Weekend and Catalans trips that will undoubtedly cannibalise some of that 'weekend away' crowd.

Away from RL we then have more competition from other sports with their events, and things like music festivals, European weekend breaks etc. are all competing for the same £££. 

The Cup Final is unique in that it is largely catering for people from the North of England and is staged in London. Not many other events have this kind of quirk. We have failed imo to really capitalise on the interest outside of the North to support these events to any great scale, and we are paying for it somewhat. 

I'm certainly not advocating playing the Final in the North, but I've said for years, Wembley doesn't do it for me, and clearly is losing appeal for many others. Wembley and London and this event clearly aint the draw it used to be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dkw said:

To be fair everywhere does now for any big events, it was just back then no one expected it as it didnt happen for Wembley games, hadnt happened for the Edinburgh game etc.

I was in Glasgow last year and there were 3 big giggs on and the hotel room prices were extortionate, double and even treble normal prices. 

And dreamers like to talk about taking a final to Dublin. Dublin makes London look cheap when it comes to hotels and general costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think comparisons with the 80s and 90s are difficult. There is far more competition nowadays for 'events' in my experience. Just in RL we have added Magic Weekend and Catalans trips that will undoubtedly cannibalise some of that 'weekend away' crowd.

Away from RL we then have more competition from other sports with their events, and things like music festivals, European weekend breaks etc. are all competing for the same £££. 

The Cup Final is unique in that it is largely catering for people from the North of England and is staged in London. Not many other events have this kind of quirk. We have failed imo to really capitalise on the interest outside of the North to support these events to any great scale, and we are paying for it somewhat. 

I'm certainly not advocating playing the Final in the North, but I've said for years, Wembley doesn't do it for me, and clearly is losing appeal for many others. Wembley and London and this event clearly aint the draw it used to be.

It's a real quandary. I certainly would agree that Wembley and London aren't the draws they used to be, particularly compared with rival attractions for the amount of money it costs northerners to attend.

At the same time, my suspicion is that if you take the CCF from Wembley, and sever that history, it'll become just another game of rugby league, accelerating the decline. Walking out at Wembley, climbing the steps for the trophy, still does look special on TV, even two thirds full. The incredibly emotional response from the women players last year spoke to something too.

I see two ways forward. Either increase focus on the local market, which in my experience we hardly tap now. Southerners are visibly and audibly more present at London internationals than the CCF now. 

I go every year as it's the easiest way for me to see a top RL match. But is "Come watch the second most important RL match of the year (after the GF)" something you can market?

A lot will depend on the effectiveness of IMG growing the nationwide interest in RL and piggybacking off that.

Or, move it somewhere else, but with a long term contract and a commitment to build a new tradition for the event. We've been mixed at such things in the past.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's a real quandary. I certainly would agree that Wembley and London aren't the draws they used to be, particularly compared with rival attractions for the amount of money it costs northerners to attend.

At the same time, my suspicion is that if you take the CCF from Wembley, and sever that history, it'll become just another game of rugby league, accelerating the decline. Walking out at Wembley, climbing the steps for the trophy, still does look special on TV, even two thirds full. The incredibly emotional response from the women players last year spoke to something too.

I see two ways forward. Either increase focus on the local market, which in my experience we hardly tap now. Southerners are visibly and audibly more present at London internationals than the CCF now. 

I go every year as it's the easiest way for me to see a top RL match. But is "Come watch the second most important RL match of the year (after the GF)" something you can market?

A lot will depend on the effectiveness of IMG growing the nationwide interest in RL and piggybacking off that.

Or, move it somewhere else, but with a long term contract and a commitment to build a new tradition for the event. We've been mixed at such things in the past.

 

I agree, if we are to stay at Wembley, we need to do it better. Unfortunately, RL events are cheap and nasty much of the time in this country. That didnt used to be the case, we led a lot of the way on adding some of the ancillary stuff, but now things like our presentation, entertainment, fanzones etc are poor. This is demonstrated by Alex Simmons DJ'ing again. 

The Wembley final doesn't really have its own identity as an event imo, and it needs to be presented differently to other RL events, but we do just go through the motions. 

On the moving point, it absolutely is a risk, but I do prefer moving it around - I liked Cardiff & Murrayfield being used, and I'd keep Wembley as part of any rotation. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's a real quandary. I certainly would agree that Wembley and London aren't the draws they used to be, particularly compared with rival attractions for the amount of money it costs northerners to attend.

At the same time, my suspicion is that if you take the CCF from Wembley, and sever that history, it'll become just another game of rugby league, accelerating the decline. Walking out at Wembley, climbing the steps for the trophy, still does look special on TV, even two thirds full. The incredibly emotional response from the women players last year spoke to something too.

I see two ways forward. Either increase focus on the local market, which in my experience we hardly tap now. Southerners are visibly and audibly more present at London internationals than the CCF now. 

I go every year as it's the easiest way for me to see a top RL match. But is "Come watch the second most important RL match of the year (after the GF)" something you can market?

A lot will depend on the effectiveness of IMG growing the nationwide interest in RL and piggybacking off that.

Or, move it somewhere else, but with a long term contract and a commitment to build a new tradition for the event. We've been mixed at such things in the past.

 

Yes, that's pretty much it for me too.

I imagine the lack of internationals in London, and at Wembley in particular, can't have helped when it comes to the Challenge Cup Final either. Having regular big matches in London provides a lot of opportunities for cross selling and marketing and just raises overall awareness of the sport. At the moment it feels like we are just starting from scratch every time and trying to build up each event in isolation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.